Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,343 times

Advertisements

Next door there has been quite a bit of talk about Christians being persecuted in far flung countries. It is being heavily promoted by some because it factors heavily into their "end times" theology where they believe such persecutions are both a fulfillment of Jesus' (alleged) words that Christians are going to suffer and also, a sign that the end is near.

What is interesting is that "Christians" have been suffering at the hands of other "Christians" for centuries as each side had it in their minds that they had it right and the other side were heretics. The other thing, however, is that all this talk from U.S and European Christians about their fellow Christians suffering elsewhere would come to a screeching halt if some of those Christians were able to state their various theological positions. Talk would turn to disagreements as to who is really a True Christian and who is not and who is interpreting the bible correctly and who isn't? If a Christian in Indonesia believes in the "Jesus only" theology (does not believe in the Trinity), in the minds of trinitarian Christians the would not meet the criteria for being a true Christian and vice versa.

The other thing is, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims over in some parts of the world are armed to the teeth and the Christians are not interested in turning the other cheek. They will defend their own and shoot to kill which would (in the estimation of some), negate their True Christian status.

Now I am not sure if these are the types of Christians their brethren on this side of the world has in mind when they are referring to Christians being persecuted OR the relatively smaller minority of Christians going into other countries and breaking the law (preaching messages the authorities deem threatening to their authority), but I'm not so sure ALL of the sympathy is genuine.

What say ye?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
You know after centuries of Christianity having its way and persecuting others for their beliefs, maybe it's ironic that they're getting a taste of their own medicine for a change. Just my opinion

Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know after centuries of Christianity having its way and persecuting others for their beliefs, maybe it's ironic that they're getting a taste of their own medicine for a change. Just my opinion
A lot of the things that they whine are "persecution" really are not, though. It's not "persecution" of Moderator cut: derogatory reference when other people resistModerator cut: dergatory reference dogma being taught to our children or inserted into our laws. It's not "persecution" of Moderator cut: deleted when gays and lesbians ask for equality in marriage. It's not "persecution" when xian prayer is not allowed as part of a school's curriculum.

Yet, many Moderator cut: "believers" claim these things are persecution. Puh-leeeze.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
A lot of the things that they whine are "persecution" really are not, though. It's not "persecution" of mod] Orphaned reference[/mod] when other people resist Moderator cut: Orphaned dogma being taught to our children or inserted into our laws. It's not "persecution" of Moderator cut: orphaned/ibid when gays and lesbians ask for equality in marriage. It's not "persecution" when Moderator cut: Orphaned prayer is not allowed as part of a school's curriculum.

Yet, many Moderator cut: Orphaned claim these things are persecution. Puh-leeeze.
MC, you know, what you're saying makes a lot of sense,I do not wish to have something that I do not believe in forced upon me and yet if I don't believe the same as they do and have the courage to speak up about it,I'm supposedly persecuting them and yet in reality they're the one's persecuting me.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM

27 posts, read 37,480 times
you must fight to protect your beliefs, did not Jesus say " bring my enemies before me and kill them"?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUETZALCOATL View Post
you must fight to protect your beliefs, did not Jesus say " bring my enemies before me and kill them"?
He meant that figuratively, not literally, otherwise there would be fewer people for the Divine Pyromaniac Jr to murder when he returns, and he would be severely disappointed, and there would be much weeping and gnashing of teeth and tearing of sack-cloth and then in a jealous rage the Divine Pyromaniac Sr would probably split the Earth into two.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
PT, no offence, but this is a caustic statement

The "inquisition" Christians of the past have no connection with the disjoint Christians elsewhere in the rest of the world, for instance, the truly persecuted ones in countries as Saudi, Pakistan or India.

Getting a dose of their own medicine is not a nice thing to say. It's irrelevant and the discrimated ones are average, innocent citizens with little knowledge of history. Only Jesus Christ connects these people, if that is a crime.

Quote:
[mod] ORPHANED.
Moderator cut: Orphaned, off topic discussion.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:40 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,783 times
Well, you know, when you go into another civilization, with a different code and start trying to tell them that they should do things your way, you're going to catch some flack for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that anyone should ever be executed, or tortured for what they believe but these people should expect some issues.

If I went to my neighbor's house and started telling him how to discipline his kids, how to make love with his wife, how to do his job etc... then I should expect to encounter some hostility.

Again, I don't think that people should suffer for their beliefs unless of course their beliefs brought on their suffering. But you have to consider a few things with this persecution issue. Groups like the Westboro Baptists think they're being persecuted when we tell them that we won't burn gays at the stake. I don't doubt that there are Christians out there who are getting undeserved bad treatment. But there are a whole lot more who think they're getting picked on just because they don't get their way.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:12 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Well, you know, when you go into another civilization, with a different code and start trying to tell them that they should do things your way, you're going to catch some flack for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that anyone should ever be executed, or tortured for what they believe but these people should expect some issues.

If I went to my neighbor's house and started telling him how to discipline his kids, how to make love with his wife, how to do his job etc... then I should expect to encounter some hostility.

Again, I don't think that people should suffer for their beliefs unless of course their beliefs brought on their suffering. But you have to consider a few things with this persecution issue. Groups like the Westboro Baptists think they're being persecuted when we tell them that we won't burn gays at the stake. I don't doubt that there are Christians out there who are getting undeserved bad treatment. But there are a whole lot more who think they're getting picked on just because they don't get their way.
I agree with you here. I will admit that there are probably Christians in other countries who are persecuted because of their faith (a.k.a breaking the law) even if we don't agree with it or it seems oppressive to our western senses. I also know others who have always gotten a lot of press and they are the ones that leave home to venture into hostile territory because they feel some conviction to go convert "sinners." They go looking for the trouble and sometimes find it which they interpret as "persecution." Then there are those Christians who have been at war with their Muslim or Hindu neighbors for ages, each side resorting to violence whenever. Not sure where the persecution is here.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,048,235 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned post

Yeah, Over Thanksgiving I found out that my parents had along with a couple of families gotten the ACLU involved into getting the weekly teaching of Christianity by a local lady from one of the local churches where I grew up out of the school. I had for the whole year had to sit out in the hallway when she would come. So did the non-Christian kids. My parents won and they were told by the superintendent of the schools that they may have won but they would face another judge someday.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2009 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality