Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,433 times

Advertisements

As an atheist I see one fundamental problem with these types of churches, and I am really not trying to be negative. When I was stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas they built one of these "mega churches" about 1/2 mile from a public elementary school. Now, keeping that in mind, it is my understanding that the churches raise the money through their own parishioners to help build the new church. I would suffice it to say that given the size of the church a good number of the children who went to the school not so far away also attended said church.

What happened was the parishioners built a $120 million church through their own donations but 1/2 mile away the school was in danger of shutting down because it was $300k short in funding from the local government. When I realized this I was utterly dismayed. I understand the need for some people to want a good church to go to but to let their very own children's education suffer because of it is beyond disbelief in my opinion. It is that same method of thinking that kept us in the Dark Ages for so long and ostricized scientists and mathematicians in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,267,850 times
Are you saying that because the local government can't manage their funds properly that the church members should have given them their money to support a government school? They already pay taxes for the school system.

This is the problem you have with mega churches? What about all the waste and spending others engage in for much more frivolous endevors. You begrudge them because they choose to contribute to a church building???

Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Are you saying that because the local government can't manage their funds properly that the church members should have given them their money to support a government school? They already pay taxes for the school system.

This is the problem you have with mega churches? What about all the waste and spending others engage in for much more frivolous endevors. You begrudge them because they choose to contribute to a church building???

What I'm saying is why is it necessary to put (I believe this is what I remember reading in the paper) 17% of your annual salary into some mega god complex to be built and when your kids' schools fall short you let it happen and say "Wow, I wish we had the money to give but we spent it all on our new mega church". Yes, you are correct, the taxes are being payed by the people and yes they are mismanaged. But, on the other hand, these people donated SO MUCH money to the church because that is what it asked of them that their own children's education suffered from it.

Let me ask you something: Does your God really care about the size of the temple he is worshipped in? Would he have seen it as a bad thing to maybe not put in the diamond chandelier that this place had? Would he have frowned on the fact that maybe the church while accepting these donations could have maybe donated a little to the school? Is it absolutely necessary to build a "Six Flags Over God" for people to worship?

It's not JUST the fact that the school almost shut down because of it; but it is the ability of the church to pull that amount of money from people every year. 17% is FAR more than most people pay in taxes every year. Yet, God wants a new temple, so let's build him one. That kind of skewed logic is dangerous for the mind's of our children. I must say, to threaten someone's "heavenly status" with the notion that they may or may not be accepted into heaven if they don't donate is no different than a guy who steals money from old women.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,304,784 times
Whoa, GCStroop-

where did you get the idea that anyone was having their salvation equated/ threatened with their giving money to the church or not? If any church IS doing this, the people need to get away from there fast!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Whoa, GCStroop-

where did you get the idea that anyone was having their salvation equated/ threatened with their giving money to the church or not? If any church IS doing this, the people need to get away from there fast!

When I was about 10 years old my parents attended a certain church (I'll keep the denomination out because I don't want to point a finger) and I went to Sunday school there. I remember the "Sunday Speaker" coming to the house one day and asking my father for an enormous amount of money so that the church could expand. My father wasn't to happy to say the least. As a result the "Sunday Speaker" explained to him that this could ruin his "chances of salvation" or something along those lines. I thought my dad was going to punch him. Anyway, since then, it has made me wonder how a church could possibly arrange to receive donations this large without the possibility of "threatening" someone's salvation. It has convinced me even further after seeing all the scandal's churches have had in terms of swindling money from people. I apologize if I sounded like I was ranting; I didn't want for it come out that way. Ultimately, YES, the parishioners do pay taxes for the schools but their local governments "spending habits" are a direct reflection of the voter's priorities. I honestly don't know the answer to this but I have this feeling that churches don't pay taxes either??? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,304,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
When I was about 10 years old my parents attended a certain church (I'll keep the denomination out because I don't want to point a finger) and I went to Sunday school there. I remember the "Sunday Speaker" coming to the house one day and asking my father for an enormous amount of money so that the church could expand. My father wasn't to happy to say the least. As a result the "Sunday Speaker" explained to him that this could ruin his "chances of salvation" or something along those lines. I thought my dad was going to punch him. Anyway, since then, it has made me wonder how a church could possibly arrange to receive donations this large without the possibility of "threatening" someone's salvation. It has convinced me even further after seeing all the scandal's churches have had in terms of swindling money from people. I apologize if I sounded like I was ranting; I didn't want for it come out that way. Ultimately, YES, the parishioners do pay taxes for the schools but their local governments "spending habits" are a direct reflection of the voter's priorities. I honestly don't know the answer to this but I have this feeling that churches don't pay taxes either??? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sounds like your family had a really bad experience with a church. I think most people who contribute hugh sums of money to their churches do it because they believe they are investing in somthing worthwhile, something eternal. Maybe that's hard to fathom if you aren't a believer but that 's what I think. And even if you aren't a believer and don't believe in investing money in "winning souls," so to speak, churches, especially some of the large ones do other things that even non-believers would probably deem beneficial, such as running a food pantry, a clothes closet for people in need, etc. Our own church recently set up a "college and ministry fund" to help kids go to college and to Bible college who couldn't otherwise afford to. If we didn't have the building to meet in, I can tell you all these ministries wouldn't be happening.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,654,847 times
This might not be a good comparison but it reminds me of big stores like Walmart or HomeDepot that have taken over much of the business of the little neighborhood stores and put them out of business. You all know I'm not religious but a little neighborhood church that's been there for generations sure seems more genuine and historically American than these huge mega churches. I do see them as more of a business enterprise than a church because funding and financial affairs seem to take on a larger role in these institutions. Last summer when I was in a small town in Tennessee on a Sunday morning the entire town was basically shut down and there were a very large number of these small neighborhood churches that were absolutely packed. It did seem to have a more genuine neighborhood feel to it that was based on tradition instead of a corporate or big business feel.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,565,472 times
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a mega church with tv cameras and all. However, this may be the only way that some people have to learn about God. There are lots of people who don't have the opportunity to get to church or to have someone witness to them. If they save some souls who am I to cast stones?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
When I was about 10 years old my parents attended a certain church (I'll keep the denomination out because I don't want to point a finger) and I went to Sunday school there. I remember the "Sunday Speaker" coming to the house one day and asking my father for an enormous amount of money so that the church could expand. My father wasn't to happy to say the least. As a result the "Sunday Speaker" explained to him that this could ruin his "chances of salvation" or something along those lines. I thought my dad was going to punch him. Anyway, since then, it has made me wonder how a church could possibly arrange to receive donations this large without the possibility of "threatening" someone's salvation.
Well, my mother-in-law's salvation wasn't threatened, (so far as I know), but I do know, that back in the fifties, (my husband was about ten, also), in some church in North Carolina, that she had made a pledge, (I think it was for a building fund), as did many others, to the church. She paid faithfully on it, but it came to a point that they began to have financial difficulties, and she was no longer able to continue with her pledge. Instead of inquiring as to whether the family might need help, the church had the brass you-know-whats to threaten her with a lawsuit, of all things. Needless to say, that didn't go over very well; she let them have it, with both barrels! They backed down; not that they had any kind of a leg to stand on, anyway. They were just trying to scare her into forking over the money. Too bad they didn't know her very well, or they wouldn't have been that idiotic!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,218,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post

I kinda have to agree with troop on this one

It is not the Governments responsibilty to make sure our children become healthy learned meaningful adults

People gripe when the taxes go up so they don't raise the taxes which means the teachers are responsible for the excess stuff like 25 packs of crayons and 30 reems of paper all the little goodies that teachers use everyday are bought by the teachers and you are finding this more and more all the time.

We in our communtiy just voted on and passed a special assessment tax especially for our childrens learning this means our taxes will go up about $400 a year

Another reason I agree with him is that you find these mega churches to be ostentatious.....WHY?

Jesus was born in a cave and lived in poverty. Do you, in all honesty, think he gives half a crud whether these churches have marble floors??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality