Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,263,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But did the study also measure brain function or only volume? Maybe losing volume just concentrates your 'smarts'.
Burdell, it was strictly volume in this study.. . ya never know. But I'll err on the side the more brain cells the merrier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,527,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
SergeantL do you have trouble with comprehension? I clearly stated that I choose not to imbibe. It is not prohibited.
No problem at all. If you read my post again, you will note that I asked you whether there were any other foods or drinks on "your" prohibited list. I assumed you understood that when "you choose" not to do something you prohibit yourself and in effect create a mental list of prohibited behaviors; however, your objection is noted, counselor; allow me to rephrase the question.

Are there any other foods or drinks that you choose not to use?

Old 05-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
No problem at all. If you read my post again, you will note that I asked you whether there were any other foods or drinks on "your" prohibited list. I assumed you understood that when "you choose" not to do something you prohibit yourself and in effect create a mental list of prohibited behaviors; however, your objection is noted, counselor; allow me to rephrase the question.

Are there any other foods or drinks that you choose not to use?
SergeantL I understood the wording (and tone- snarky!) of your post. I wasn't addressing whether it was on "my list" or my "religions list", I was in fact addressing your using the word "prohibited."
There is a difference between choosing not to partake in X and being prohibited from it.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
SergeantL I understood the wording (and tone- snarky!) of your post. I wasn't addressing whether it was on "my list" or my "religions list", I was in fact addressing your using the word "prohibited."
There is a difference between choosing not to partake in X and being prohibited from it.
OK, Sparky, apparently you don't want to answer the question. I was curious about other foods and drinks simply because my religion advises against not only alcohol but other common consumables. I was interested in seeing how you came about your decisions, but never mind.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM

SergeantL, bear with me here because it's possible my "high volume" but scrambled brain has you mixed up with another poster. . . but arn't you LDS? And if you are there are certainly many prohibited substances in your religion.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
OK, Sparky, apparently you don't want to answer the question. I was curious about other foods and drinks simply because my religion advises against not only alcohol but other common consumables. I was interested in seeing how you came about your decisions, but never mind.
No, no. . I guess the hint of sarcasm in your posts led me to believe that you were mocking. . .
No, I can't think of anything at the moment that I choose not to eat or drink. But I do try to watch my fat intake, and generally eat healthfully.

Oh, maybe I will consider changing my user name to Sparky. Kinda like it.

Last edited by spunky1; 05-07-2007 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
"TEA-TOADLERS"???????????

Shouldn't that be tea-totallers?

BTW. The research is true....I'm tea-total!
Ok, just to be picky, it's actually teetotaler!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Ok, just to be picky, it's actually teetotaler!
Thank you
Seriously. Pretty sad to be one and can't spell it!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No, no. . I guess the hint of sarcasm in your posts led me to believe that you were mocking. . .
No, I can't think of anything at the moment that I choose not to eat or drink. But I do try to watch my fat intake, and generally eat healthfully.

Spunky—

I have a sense of humor so bereft of moisture it could suck the worlds oceans dry. I am not mocking you or anyone else. I do not make light of anyone’s beliefs or faith.

Yes, I am LDS. Yes, we have what is commonly called the Word of Wisdom, which we believe was received from God through revelation. It tells us that alcohol, coffee, and tea of the tea plant are bad for us. It also tells us that tobacco use is not for humans.

I am always gratified to learn that others have discovered the dangers of one or more of these items. I am especially gratified to find others who do not use alcohol. I retired last Thursday, after 35 years in law enforcement. I have scraped more dead from our roadways because of alcohol consumption than you can imagine.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,122,902 times
Quote:
As you know, Molly, many religions have rules against drinking; however, I was unaware there was a religious issue with toads. Do you suppose warts are a heavenly punishment?
they must be!! it is a flaw you know.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality