Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,254,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
You cannot think that what Tony Blair is doing has nothing to do with what occurred on 9/11 I'm not saying ALL I am just saying not NOTHING....
but like you said let's drop it here.
fair enough

Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

275 posts, read 434,871 times
Are you trying to show that some connection between the supposed "loss" of God from school, the rights to have an abortion, and the fact that society doesn't endorse corporal punishment anymore is the cause of...what...the president getting oral sex in the white house, the world trade center being blown up, and the Virginia Tech Massacre?

I am mystified how ridiculous this "true" line of reasoning seems to a couple of people here. How is it it possible that you see some sort of connection between ANY of the instances you listed, but you can't even begin to make a case for evolution that makes sense to you? (then again, perhaps I just answered my own question).

I understand justified faith in this world, and even blind faith. But this kind of stuff appears to be simply be bonehead faith, IMO.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,433 times
OH yeah sure, blame the schools for not picking up where your crappy parenting left off. Let's be honest, no one wants to admit that they didn't do a good enough job parenting when their kid walks into a school and starts blowing away fellow students. Instead, we decide to give it the label of rock stars, video games, taking prayer out of school, etc...

It's a shame that parents who are so uptight about all the things in the mainstream media don't talk to their kids about right and wrong anymore because they are too shy or embarassed. THAT is the cultural breakdown, NOT taking prayer out of schools!

This was not really directed at any poster so I am not bashing your parenting skills but it's that type of attitude that keeps this kind of thing happening.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,218,023 times
I know you weren't directing at anyone specifically
but just for the record

I am very strict on my children probably too much I freely admit it
BUT my children are polite to all

they see the things that are happening in these schools and wonder what could have possibly gone wrong to make someone do this
They wonder if they were friends with this person...could they have made a difference in this person's life
They talk to the kids in school that are shunned and neglected by other students as weird.
And they take the stoning by those other students because they have done so.
At our house we ahve teenager night
once or twice a month on a Friday night

they play video games and listen to music have a bonfire just fun stuff
but amazingly it isn't the popular kids in achool my kids are inviting

They are the ones they feel would otherwise not get this opportunity.
The goth the EMO etc the shunned ones. they arent doing it because they feel sorry for them. they are doing it because they feel sorry for the ones who won't enjoy these "shunned ones" company

This is when you know you are a good parent, when your children take the longer path to the greater reward. If you can just instill in your children the true meaning of the sermon on the mount the rest is easy

PS And trust me when I tell you my kids are not lacking for friends they are all pretty popular in school.

I am not sure how this fits in with the OP but I felt it needed to be said

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I know you weren't directing at anyone specifically
but just for the record

I am very strict on my children probably too much I freely admit it
BUT my children are polite to all

they see the things that are happening in these schools and wonder what could have possibly gone wrong to make someone do this
They wonder if they were friends with this person...could they have made a difference in this person's life
They talk to the kids in school that are shunned and neglected by other students as weird.
And they take the stoning by those other students because they have done so.
At our house we ahve teenager night
once or twice a month on a Friday night

they play video games and listen to music have a bonfire just fun stuff
but amazingly it isn't the popular kids in achool my kids are inviting

They are the ones they feel would otherwise not get this opportunity.
The goth the EMO etc the shunned ones. they arent doing it because they feel sorry for them. they are doing it because they feel sorry for the ones who won't enjoy these "shunned ones" company

This is when you know you are a good parent, when your children take the longer path to the greater reward. If you can just instill in your children the true meaning of the sermon on the mount the rest is easy

PS And trust me when I tell you my kids are not lacking for friends they are all pretty popular in school.

I am not sure how this fits in with the OP but I felt it needed to be said

I think, from what I can gather in a few short paragraphs, that you DO probably raise your kids correctly. What I am talking about here is that there are a lot of parents in this country who are so twisted up in their religious faith that they refuse to talk to their kids about the REAL world. I'm not trying to bring religion into this, but what I'm getting at is people are embarassed LITERALLY EMBARASSED to talk to their kids about sex, drugs, violence, etc...

In the past, I think they let the schools do that for them because they were not big enough as parents to sit their kids down. Now that we don't talk about all these kinds of things in school it gets hairy for the parents. I think sex ed should be MANDATORY, I believe in the school anti-drug programs but there still needs to be a parent factor. I guess my overall point is that taking prayer out of schools doesn't have anything to do with students shooting other students, it has to do with parents not reinforcing their children's behavior. SIMPLE as that. Don't forget, I think a lot of the same things happened when my parents were growing up, we just didn't have the internet and mainstream media to pound it in our ears 24/7.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,218,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think, from what I can gather in a few short paragraphs, that you DO probably raise your kids correctly. What I am talking about here is that there are a lot of parents in this country who are so twisted up in their religious faith that they refuse to talk to their kids about the REAL world. I'm not trying to bring religion into this, but what I'm getting at is people are embarassed LITERALLY EMBARASSED to talk to their kids about sex, drugs, violence, etc...

In the past, I think they let the schools do that for them because they were not big enough as parents to sit their kids down. Now that we don't talk about all these kinds of things in school it gets hairy for the parents. I think sex ed should be MANDATORY, I believe in the school anti-drug programs but there still needs to be a parent factor. I guess my overall point is that taking prayer out of schools doesn't have anything to do with students shooting other students, it has to do with parents not reinforcing their children's behavior. SIMPLE as that. Don't forget, I think a lot of the same things happened when my parents were growing up, we just didn't have the internet and mainstream media to pound it in our ears 24/7.
Oh I actually believe you on this
I do not want some stranger trying to teach my kids right from wrong
They may not even have the same views I have

Teach your own children then you know they got it right the first time

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard
"But Janie's mom lets her do it"
my reply is
"WOW Good thing you don't live at Janie's house"

Last edited by dncngrl1964; 05-07-2007 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: addendum

Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,205,334 times
Thanks, John

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,654,847 times
The post that started this thread was one of the worst and most illogical that I've seen here. First a whole list of tragedies are listed and then it's explained to us that God is mad because we don't allow him in schools, etc. That's a pretty offensive point of view and it uses the victims of senseless crimes in a meaningless debate to promote religion. We've had some pretty good discussions with alot of give and take on various topics but this sort of thing is in bad taste. Is the God you believe in some sort of sadistic monster that kills people when no one pays attention to him? I know it's silly but that's what it sounds like you're saying. If anyone has read my posts I think you'd agree that I'm open minded and want to hear everyone's point of view. In this case I think the moderator should have locked this thread right off the bat because it's offensive and insults the intelligence of believers and non believers alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality