Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:40 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,827,349 times

Advertisements

With the broad possiblities of saving lives through the use of stem cells from correcting genetic deformities to cloning healthy organs, you would think that the government (supposedly separated from the church) would gladly fund this research. But moral objections have limited the government's funding to specific types of research. Life is created by a religious standpoint is at the time of conception but from a medical standpoint viability isn't until 22 weeks.

My question: Why is it morally wrong to use an embryo that can not grow to be a human with out being implanted into a woman to sustain it's growth and development? Isn't the greater good of humanity served best by allowing this discarded embro to be used to save lives rather than be tossed out. And who's sin is it? The people who had the embryo stored than neglected to use it or the scientists using it for research?

Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 PM

954 posts, read 815,031 times
[quote=irishmom;677118]

Quote:
My question: Why is it morally wrong to use an embryo that can not grow to be a human with out being implanted into a woman to sustain it's growth and development?
What makes you thinke that it's "morally wrong". I suspect that it's only the Church that thinks it so....... but then they have suppressed science and medicine for hundreds of years. One can't help wondering what diseases might have been eradicated by now if it hadn't been for religion.

Last edited by pladecalvo; 05-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,827,349 times
[quote=pladecalvo;677143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

What makes you thinke that it's "morally wrong". I suspect that it's only the Church that thinks it so....... but then they have suppressed science and medicine for hundreds of years. One can't help wondering what diseases might have been eradicated by now if it hadn't been for religion.
Well morality isn't specific to religion. In this case presumably the government thinks certain areas of research are "immoral" when it comes to stem cell reasearch.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,251,475 times
this is a great question isrishmom. with the endless possibilities from stem cell research, we should be pushing it and funding it 100%. I cannot understand in my wildest imagination why it wouldnt be supported by everyone.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,268,447 times
I'm sure this will become another "heated" thread!

My personal belief is that unless you have personally experienced something that could have been helped by stem cell research, you should keep an open mind. The most obvious of course is Christopher Reeve - his wife and family went through this awful tragedy and we should listen to what they, and millions others have to say.

I am personally for stem cell research but I can understand the moral delimma that people of faith face regarding this topic.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,285,964 times
I am all for stem cell research using umbilical cords from births that had previously been discarded. We have plenty of them and I think it's a better option than using embroes from all standpoints.

I had heard some researches discussing the harvesting of women's eggs for this purpose and am against that method of procurement.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,551,568 times
I was an advocate for stem cell research ever since it came on the scene. The thought of the many diseases it can cure, the lives it can save and the children who would live because of it just overwhelms me..My first grandson had a diving accident almost six years ago. As a result, he is a quadraplegic(all four limbs are affected) He is doing well now, has adjusted and is in college, but must depend on us for his personal needs. He says he would welcome the stem cells,BUT NOT FOR HIM. He wants the children to benefit first. He says he is at peace with his disability, and has been blessed in many ways because of it. I always wondered if a really dedicated right to lifer was in a situation where stem cell was a cure for a disability or disease that they or a loved one had, would he change his mind?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times
I recently saw a poll where something like 80% of the American public supports stem cell research. I really think, that part of it is misunderstood. I have this sneaking suspicion that the remaining 20% is under the impression that it is a fetus of sorts and feel it is an abortion issue. I don't think it will be long before we vote FOR stemcell research. Give it 2-3 years.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:26 PM

275 posts, read 434,679 times
While we are merely doing research, the supply of stem cells from discarded embryos, umbilical cord blood, etc. may be a viable source But lest's say some form of treatement is developed to help type two diabetics. Suddenly fifteen million Americans are asking for the treatement, would not the demand for stem cells become enormous? What if we need to start a program that purposely implants embryos by the thousands into women hired for this procedure, just so these embryos cn be harvested for the new treatments we discover? I am not up on what might come of stem cell research, and whether or not this scenario is likely. However, as a hypothetical are people fine with this kind of factory farming of embryos? As an atheist I am, but how about you Christians?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,407,456 times
I'm also for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality