Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times

Advertisements

I was reading a thread in relationships and someone said their ideal man must be educated, intelligent and preferably an athiest. Most of the extremely intelligent people I have met had advanced degrees featuring statistics, chemistry and engineering etc, and they had studied religion and/or were theologists and believed in a greater being.

Why do you think a large segment of this group of highly intelligent people are drawn to religion?

Please note: I used "some" and "segment" so I am not stating that everyone with a high IQ or mathematician is religious so no torching please.... Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
I was raised with a religious, somewhat fundamentalist background. My head was fairly screwed over by that background. It took me years to find my way into a working reality during which I studied some religion, some physics, some philosophy.

There came a point at which it all started coming together and understand how the laws of physics, numbers, engineering and even religion fit together. I would think those qualities you reference would lead those persons to a like resolution. A fitting of universal laws and religion.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:25 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Finite mathematics + philosophy...

It's there...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
could it be smart people sense there is a god?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I was reading a thread in relationships and someone said their ideal man must be educated, intelligent and preferably an athiest. Most of the extremely intelligent people I have met had advanced degrees featuring statistics, chemistry and engineering etc, and they had studied religion and/or were theologists and believed in a greater being.

Why do you think a large segment of this group of highly intelligent people are drawn to religion?

Please note: I used "some" and "segment" so I am not stating that everyone with a high IQ or mathematician is religious so no torching please.... Thank you.

Why do you assume that your personal experience is representative of the rest of reality?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Actually, the more of the hard sciences one has studied, the less likely they are to believe in God.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:11 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Unchallenged religious upbringing? Personal crisis forcing them to take refuge in a delusion? Some form of peer pressure?
Being highly educated makes you more resistant to these factors, but not immune.

(I disagree with your "large segment" claim, though. As Boxcar said, scientific level is strongly correlated with atheism.)

Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
I'm a mathematician and an atheist, I've never met a deeply religious mathematician and I'm surrounded by hundreds of them.

The "large segment" claim is of course fallacy from anecdote followed by confirmation bias. I've yet to know of any large scale polls carried out to answer this question but I suspect that a lot of them will be agnostics, deists or atheists. Mathematics, at least the pure aspects of it, has the tendency to destroy conventional notions of religion with it's philosophy.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times

Here are some numbers for your math. Only 7 percent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God. Only 3.3 percent believed in God in the UK’s Royal Society. These are unquestionably the repository for both countries highest IQs.
Gallup poll studies in the US in the general population have shown that those with higher IQ’s tend not to believe in God."
For me the real question is whether increased intelligence makes people atheist or being atheist makes them more intelligent, it appears atheist brains are developing faster without the myths of religion.
Is this an example of evolution in action with Christians getting left behind like the monkeys and apes before them?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 AM

55 posts, read 81,580 times
its all about numbers and Jesus as the powerful one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality