Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times

Advertisements

How can we get those that want to preach to go and knock on someone else's doors, I for one am tired of all these threads turning into bible thumping pages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Ruh-roh.

Okay...first of all, please take what I'm about to say with the realization that I'm not Christian. I'm a hell-bound pagan...see ya there...bring light clothing. I considered packing a bikini but having nursed three babies, I'm pretty sure the sight would scare even Satan.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...ahem. You have to admit that in a way, we're asking for it, since we're electively coming onto a board where one can clearly see, just by viewing any given page, that there is a heavy leaning on Christian thoughts, debates, and blah blah blah.

How can you avoid it? By, well, avoiding it.

Here's the deal. We do all have free choice, and that choice includes Christianity, and you really CAN'T get people to stop talking about their own religion.

I do personally feel that Christianity is a "trigger" for us non-Christians because it does contain judgement, inherently. The viewpoint is literally that anyone, anyone, period, IS going to hell if he or she is not Christian. That's extremely finger-wagging of its own accord. So of course it's going to bring up feelings of being judged, and defensiveness. I think that if more Christians realized this, they'd stop pretending to be so shocked that people don't want to "let" them "just" talk about their religion.

But bottom line, no, you really can't avoid it. I mean that's what it is. 80% of this country (or 80% plus) is Christian. (I'm assuming you're in the U.S.) Fully one-third of the world is Christian.

I do enjoy the debates because I do feel like I have a lot to say. Other people also feel like they have a lot to say, from an opposing viewpoint. I think it's actually pretty healthy to have what almost amounts to a self-dialogue just to clarify one's own beliefs. I mean this is the internet. We really don't treat eachother as "real" people, when you think about it. I would never dream of speaking to people this frankly about religion IRL, except like-minded people, and I haven't had Christians IRL come right up to me and say the things that have been said to me on this forum.

I feel ya, but you know, it is what it is.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
How can we get those that want to preach to go and knock on someone else's doors, I for one am tired of all these threads turning into bible thumping pages.
It normally isn't that bad.

We just have a few "instigators" on the board who seem to get away with this spam. They make it bad for the rest of us, religious and non-religious folks alike. Admittedly, I've been sucked into their web of SPAM, and have fed the trolls far too often.

Shame, shame on me.

~T

Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Why do people get so up in arms about those wanting to talk about religion/spirituality? If you don't like it, don't read it! I don't know how many times that has been said.
There are people that are fanatical about just about anything. People don't seem to make a big stink when someone lets sports or video games run their lives. You can't get addicted to Christ.
If someone does not like sports they do not care that others are fanatical about it?
If someone does not like Christ/God or spirituality they have a problem with those who do? Why?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why do people get so up in arms about those wanting to talk about religion/spirituality? If you don't like it, don't read it! I don't know how many times that has been said.
There are people that are fanatical about just about anything. People don't seem to make a big stink when someone lets sports or video games run their lives. You can't get addicted to Christ.
If someone does not like sports they do not care that others are fanatical about it?
If someone does not like Christ/God or spirituality they have a problem with those who do? Why?
This is a legitimate question, and I tried to address it above. I do hear this question a lot..."Why don't non-Christians like to hear Christians talk about their religion?" It is a trigger, whether logical or not, because what is inherent in the Christian idea is that if you are not a Christian, then you're doomed, and that's it. If you do not believe in Christ as the one savior then you are not going to be accepted ultimately by God. It is the ONLY way, and the Bible even says it. I shouldn't be trying to quote the Bible since I don't know it well enough, but at some point if I recall correctly, Jesus said, "No one (gets to heaven) except through me." That is a judgement that is just "there"--automatically. I don't know of any other religion that does this.

It produces a definite defensiveness. I don't believe all, or even many, Christians WANT to produce this feeling in other people. It just "is". I mean you're asking why, and in my opinion, this is why. There is also an extreme dominance numbers-wise of Christians and non-Christians feel very overwhelmed hearing about Christianity so continuously, fully knowing that if we were to talk about *our* beliefs we'd have a whole lot of people arguing about how wrong we are...or else shaking their heads and saying sadly, "I'll pray for you." I do feel you really want to understand, so I hope I'm explaining this adequately.

ETA: As for "just not reading it," again, with the extreme preponderance of Christian people, Christian holidays, churches, Christian comments in everyday living, Christian books, etc., it is VERY hard to "just" avoid running into Christian commentary. Again--this doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to talk about religion. But it is pretty hard to avoid.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
I do appreciate your answer JerZ and I can understand where you're coming from. Thankyou

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Jerz-

I thought your post about where you said that Christianity just inherently has an element of "judgment" in it was very insightful. (I am a Christian.) I had never really thought about it that way, but that's true. I don't think that's necessarily something that can be or even should be changed, but it does give me some understanding why sometimes non-Christians seem (to us Christians) to get defensive. Thanks for some enlightenment.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
May I then ask why you started a new thread entitled Bible/Religion? If you don't want believers to respond, then don't start a thread with an enticing title to it.

Likewise in the other threads, don't post if you don't like the conversation. Most of us are really not pushy about it, but if you say you don't believe in God, or you think Christianity is too judgemental, certainly we're not wrong in responding, especially when the thread deals with those subjects.

If you don't want the religious threads on the front page, by all means start new threads and talk about other political or controversial subjects. We may or may not join you there, depending upon whether it interests us.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ruh-roh.

Okay...first of all, please take what I'm about to say with the realization that I'm not Christian. I'm a hell-bound pagan...see ya there...bring light clothing. I considered packing a bikini but having nursed three babies, I'm pretty sure the sight would scare even Satan.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...ahem. You have to admit that in a way, we're asking for it, since we're electively coming onto a board where one can clearly see, just by viewing any given page, that there is a heavy leaning on Christian thoughts, debates, and blah blah blah.

How can you avoid it? By, well, avoiding it.

Here's the deal. We do all have free choice, and that choice includes Christianity, and you really CAN'T get people to stop talking about their own religion.

I do personally feel that Christianity is a "trigger" for us non-Christians because it does contain judgement, inherently. The viewpoint is literally that anyone, anyone, period, IS going to hell if he or she is not Christian. That's extremely finger-wagging of its own accord. So of course it's going to bring up feelings of being judged, and defensiveness. I think that if more Christians realized this, they'd stop pretending to be so shocked that people don't want to "let" them "just" talk about their religion.

But bottom line, no, you really can't avoid it. I mean that's what it is. 80% of this country (or 80% plus) is Christian. (I'm assuming you're in the U.S.) Fully one-third of the world is Christian.

I do enjoy the debates because I do feel like I have a lot to say. Other people also feel like they have a lot to say, from an opposing viewpoint. I think it's actually pretty healthy to have what almost amounts to a self-dialogue just to clarify one's own beliefs. I mean this is the internet. We really don't treat eachother as "real" people, when you think about it. I would never dream of speaking to people this frankly about religion IRL, except like-minded people, and I haven't had Christians IRL come right up to me and say the things that have been said to me on this forum.

I feel ya, but you know, it is what it is.
Hey, this is SMART thinking from a non-believer!!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
It normally isn't that bad.

We just have a few "instigators" on the board who seem to get away with this spam. They make it bad for the rest of us, religious and non-religious folks alike. Admittedly, I've been sucked into their web of SPAM, and have fed the trolls far too often.

Shame, shame on me.

~T
So, much fun to watch you type your frustration out. Are you sure your not a troll sometimes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality