Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
So I'm sorry but it is perfectly correct to call them "Christian" atheists.
It’s quite all right, there’s no need to apologize. I believe that great things happen when people make Christ Jesus their focus. In addition; I’m confident that some of the people who identify with Christ Jesus will come to a saving faith in Him as they grow as His disciples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I would love to be known as a Spider Man Atheist.
If I want to be "as good as" Spider Man I don't need to believe in everything that exists in the Marvel comics universe.
Hey, that would be a cool nick name for you!
That in itself sounds silly, doesn't it? And who believes in Spider man anyway? So, you see, there is no difference between that fantasy and biblical fantasy, but there IS difference between these two fantasies. One is comical, another one is biblical. Which one does atheist believe?? Which one would atheist follow?

Quote:
Why does the Bible get special status? It's just a book full of characters. Saying that the Bible should always be completely ignored seems more obsessive than saying that one of its characters is worth investigating.
You're right, Bible doesn't get special status in Atheistic view, but you can't reject that millions of people believe it to be the Only.....You can't say that about Spider Man of NYC.

Quote:
Anyway, this is all besides the point because it appears that the Christian atheists either completely reject the Bible or else believe in some wacky Bible-based mythology. But they're still all free to focus on JC if that's what floats their boat.
Yep, whatever floats their Arc
Christian Atheist will not be considered an Atheist at all. May be Agnostic, even that would be wrong.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Christian Atheist will not be considered an Atheist at all. May be Agnostic, even that would be wrong.
Well, this SpiderMan atheist is just about done discussing Christian atheists but I still don't see why someone can't try to be like a mythology-free JC and also not believe in God. They can acknowledge JC and at least portions of his "message" without acknowledging God I think.
Atheism is atheism, right?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Well, this SpiderMan atheist is just about done discussing Christian atheists but I still don't see why someone can't try to be like a mythology-free JC and also not believe in God. They can acknowledge JC and at least portions of his "message" without acknowledging God I think.
Atheism is atheism, right?
Maybe?!

If there was no JC, who would be your idol? You'd still do good w/out JC, or would you not?
I'm all for you to follow whatever you want to follow. But i disagree with the Atheist aspect of it, as atheist probably would not follow any deity.
But, that's just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How did you become so certain that YOUR view of this debate is the correct one? What assumptions are you making about what the term Christian mandates? NONE of those assumptions of yours are necessarily true or mandatory. The many religions of Christ require many "beliefs"etc. . . . the philosophy of life represented by Christ does not.
Just expressing my opinion, just like you expressing yours. None of your assumptions are necessarily true or mandatory as well, would you agree with that, at least?
Many religions of Christ? I thought there was only One?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Just expressing my opinion, just like you expressing yours. None of your assumptions are necessarily true or mandatory as well, would you agree with that, at least?
Of course I agree that my assumptions are not true. All I'm going on is that wikipedia entry. Those people like JC but yet they don't believe in God at all. Some believe there never was God, some believe God once existed and now does not. Why would we say that they actually do believe in God when they say they don't? Jesus isn't God in my opinion.

I don't believe that a radioactive spider can bite me and give me super strength and the ability to stick to walls but I do believe that I can make some web shooters, bulk up, and go fight crime. That's how I follow the teachings of Spider Man.

Quote:
Oh I dunno - there are Christian Buddhists and Christian universalists and Christian mystics. Why not Christian atheists?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh whoops - there I go making assumptions...Answered the wrong post. Oy vey.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Yes, but JC is a Biblical character, is he not?
What is the necessity to follow JC? Can you say that you follow someone whose life to you is an example of a good human? What is the obsession with JC? That's the point i'm trying to make. Would you say you want to be like Superman, or Spiderman, or Robin Hood?

You can say you want to be as good as Mother Theresa, for all i care. When you bring JC as an example, you are then getting into realm of a biblical interpretation, but that's of course, takes believing in the Bible.

Did your cited heroes leave a testimony that qualifies in the same quality (i.e. communications!) spectrum as that of JC?

Quoting you, "Can you say that..."
Answering: Can i say why...! And no longer run into y-our put-downs anymore!

Personally, i have nothing against you, ShepsMom. But I expect you to know a little better.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Agree. There is only one Christ . . . but the religions (30,000+ denominations) vary enormously.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Default Wow are you serious

That like a disciple of Christ, turning away from him and being a disciple of Satan, knowing satan is defeated. Wow that's sad, to follow someone that is defeated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality