Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
What he said.
but you're taking it out of context!!!!! *stomps feet*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 AM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
The question may as well be Greek as far as I'm concerned...I have no idea what is being asked, but then sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I don't mean to speak for the OP but the question I think that's being asked is why does your consciousness happen to reside in your particular body as opposed to any other body, at least that's how I'm reading it and I have to admit that I've wondered the same thing myself. I don't believe in souls or anything supernatural and I'm certain that our self awareness is a function of our brains but it is an interesting question to ponder. I could just as well have been born as a sheepherder in Mongolia as opposed to the person we all know and love as MontanaGuy and I honestly can't offer an explanation for it.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
This is a question for people who don't believe in souls or spirits...

If we don't have souls, then why are you looking through your certain body, why not through your brother's body or through a dog's body? Why through your certain body only? Why you?

This is something I ask elsewhere, but no one ever answers in the same context, or they through around explanations that are simply biological (mom and dad mated, etc) rather than trying to answer the real quetion.

Well? What's your answer? Thanks.
The question makes no sense and has its suppositions upside down. If you don't believe in a soul that has an existence outside of our biological bodies, then it is impossible for conscientiousness to exist outside of a biological body. Conscientiousness is a function of the electrical activity in the brain, so how could mine be in someone else's body?

The better question is if you believe that there is a soul with an existence outside of our physical body, why then is our conscientiousness confined to our physical bodies and not in someone else's?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM

418 posts, read 708,541 times
Quote:

If we don't have souls, then why are you looking through your certain body, why not through your brother's body or through a dog's body? Why through your certain body only? Why you?

This is something I ask elsewhere, but no one ever answers in the same context, or they through around explanations that are simply biological (mom and dad mated, etc) rather than trying to answer the real quetion.

Souls are not scientific. I do not accept the notion of souls.

Also, if we considered your line of thinking for a moment, you would have to grant animals souls as well. What's to keep them from "looking through your certain body" as you said. Or even worse for you, if you're a meatasaurus, you're eating creatures with souls.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
John, I'll give you my perspective, I see the soul and spirit as two different things. First, I see Spirit as being the source of all existance everywhere and all things return to this source. The soul is how we manifest our awareness and all things manifest a soul to the degree of their awareness. The soul belongs to the individual thing, but the spirit is all one.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,290 times
What happens to the souls in people with Bipolar disorder?

Does someone with the double personality see different things/has different souls?? What Frank and his sidekick Jerry both see, do they see as body of one, and a mind of two?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times
Quote:

The unique set of circumstances that made me into me involve a lot of random factors, both physical and chemical and environmental. The reason that my awareness is in my particular body is because if I was in a different body, it wouldn't be me, it would be someone else.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Tesaje wrote:
Quote:
Conscientiousness is a function of the electrical activity in the brain, so how could mine be in someone else's body?
I also don't believe that our consciousness can exist outside of our body and that it's purely an electrical and biological function of our brain. But my self awareness, which is the very essence of what we are, just happened to come into existence in a particular brain of a baby that was born in 1949. I don't think it's a foolish question at all. For all of eternity there is only going to be one of me and I'm not suggesting that I think that consciousness continues beyond my bodily death, I am certain it will be shut off like a light switch when I die. The oddity of it is that my consciousness came to reside in one particular body as opposed to any one of billions of others. Why is that? I don't know the answer.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Tesaje wrote:

I also don't believe that our consciousness can exist outside of our body and that it's purely an electrical and biological function of our brain. But my self awareness, which is the very essence of what we are, just happened to come into existence in a particular brain of a baby that was born in 1949. I don't think it's a foolish question at all. For all of eternity there is only going to be one of me and I'm not suggesting that I think that consciousness continues beyond my bodily death, I am certain it will be shut off like a light switch when I die. The oddity of it is that my consciousness came to reside in one particular body as opposed to any one of billions of others. Why is that? I don't know the answer.
That is relatively easy. The real answer is basically Kurt Vonnegut's: Why not? Everybody has got to be somebody. Random chance produces us. We are the sum of our genes and experiences and choices. There is tremendous variation in both so each of us is unique. This is true of physical, emotional, and intellectual characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality