Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM

50,486 posts, read 47,254,503 times

Advertisements

I consider myself pretty religious, not overboard but still religious. Anyway, here is my story and a question.

I've always attended Church on a regular basis. At the start of this year I went through a series of surgeries to fix things received during a vehicle accident. Years past I have always given the Church a decent amount every year but since I haven't been able to go much this year it is lower.
Here is the part that I am confused about. I open my mailbox and there is a document in it that looks like a bill. A bill from my Church. Upon closer examination there is a letter in it that in summary states they would like me to "donate" the amount to make up what I usually donate. No get well letter, no how are you doing letter just something that looks like a bill asking for money.
Is this normal practice for any Church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,585,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I consider myself pretty religious, not overboard but still religious. Anyway, here is my story and a question.

I've always attended Church on a regular basis. At the start of this year I went through a series of surgeries to fix things received during a vehicle accident. Years past I have always given the Church a decent amount every year but since I haven't been able to go much this year it is lower.
Here is the part that I am confused about. I open my mailbox and there is a document in it that looks like a bill. A bill from my Church. Upon closer examination there is a letter in it that in summary states they would like me to "donate" the amount to make up what I usually donate. No get well letter, no how are you doing letter just something that looks like a bill asking for money.

Oh my. NO. That is just wrong. I'm sorry, perhaps I shouldnt be so adamant but I feel strongly that any charitable giving should be done willingly and annonymously.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM

307 posts, read 479,972 times
Quote:

Does your Church actually know of your hardship? Was this letter perhaps from the priest himself or someone a bit further removed?
I have never known this practise in a church, not the ones I attended, anyway.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,603,090 times
I would hope that you would read the bible and stop following what the Church says.

No Church is perfect, and they like to make up rules.

Please dont do stuff because that's what you were taught or because the Church says so.

Believe in God only and be happy that you're all better now.

Most people leave their faith because of what a leader in a Church might do. We should follow Jesus, and find a Church that has sound doctrine.

BTW - I would send them 1 dollar, and tell them that's what I think of them.

Quote:

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
I know there are some churches that expect a certain percentage of your income which is generally higher than the state income tax depending on where you live. I also agree that this is wrong and the church is behaving like a business. I know my sister gives 10% of her income to her church even though she's in debt, has no health insurance and big prescriptions bills to pay but that's what she wants to do so I would never say anything to her about it, afterall it's her life and her money but I know I wouldn't be doing that. (of course I'm an atheist and don't go to church anyway) What I don't understand is how the churches who operate this way go about collecting the money. When I was a teenager and did go to church they just passed around a collection plate and you could throw in a quarter or a five dollar bill and it was anonymous which to me seems like the right way to do it. Are you supposed to send in a check and then they keep track of it in the church you're attending? I don't blame you for being upset. Good luck to you and I hope you're doing well after your surgeries.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,603,090 times
You should tell your sister that tithing to the church is not in the bible.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,721,577 times
Quote:

Sure it's normal practice for churches..... churches of men, that is.

The Lord would not ever do that. Those who have little but tithe or offer all they have...give more than those who have gazillions and offer a million.....there's a story in the Holy Bible about that.

Yep, your preacher needs college tuition for his kids, or they need to add on the hottub off the back deck....thus you 'need' to send money!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,570 times
I would ring the Pastor and ask him to come round for a chat. Explain to him how you feel about the letter. See what he says - give him a chance to reply - maybe it was a genuine error, so let him speak. Sometimes we can be quick to jump to the wrong idea. We are all human, and this side of heaven we are all imperfect and just running the race. We haven't attained the prize but we keep running towards it. Your church, any church is the same. So give them the benefit of the doubt and remember, we are to bear with one another, forgiving one another. Its easy to be harsh - but God wants us to steer away from emotions that can pull us (and others) down.

By the way - Hope you are feeling better. Godbless you.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,474,112 times
I'm wondering if you go to a "megachurch" or not? Because I am under the impression that a very large church with a lot of people would be run like a business rather than on a personal level. In all reality, if the church has a large number of people, I can't imagine them being able to account for every single person and their health. More than likely there is something like a "billing" department or an accounting department that has some sort of automatic mailing thing based on your prior donations. What do I think of that? Trust me, you really don't want me to answer that question.

But, if I were you and you are concerned about it, I would talk to the priest/pastor/preacher or whatever people call them and if the situation isn't rectified than I'd do what I'd do with any business - I'd shop elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,812 times
Quote:

I have attended several churches and my wife even works for a church. I have NEVER heard of this being done. The tithes and offerings to the church are freewill gifts to the church. They should not be asking for anything, because they do not know your finances. If you lost your job, wouldn't you income drop? Yes, and so would your tithe which represents ten percent of your income. So, this church is being rediculous with this letter. And insulting.

I am actually with GCSTroop on this, talk to the pastor. Ask for clarification and if they do not give a reasonable answer, then you need to go elsewhere. Go find a "bible beleiving church". This church from your explanation does not appear to be one.

In the churches that I have attended over the years, we have been concerned with the well fare of the attendees. If someone is sick we usually have someone visit them weather at home or in the hospital. Sometime people become shut-ins due to poor health, so even though they have not attended the church for years, we still keep in touch with them to help with their needs or for prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality