Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 02:57 AM

9,699 posts, read 10,057,972 times

Advertisements

God said from the bible i Deuteronomy 30:19 ``I call heaven and the earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death blessing and cursing, so there for choose life, that both and your seed may live ``............ So you look into the unseen spirit and the eternal and God is recording the blessing and the curses throughout people lives ........ But there is also the wicked fallen angels that God rejected that is recording and holding curses that people say throughout their lives and could use these curses against people that say curses, usually when these fallen angels get tired of these people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 01:46 PM

51,064 posts, read 24,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God said from the bible i Deuteronomy 30:19 ``I call heaven and the earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death blessing and cursing, so there for choose life, that both and your seed may live ``............ So you look into the unseen spirit and the eternal and God is recording the blessing and the curses throughout people lives ........ But there is also the wicked fallen angels that God rejected that is recording and holding curses that people say throughout their lives and could use these curses against people that say curses, usually when these fallen angels get tired of these people
mountain out of mole hill

Old 05-04-2024, 01:48 PM

5,917 posts, read 3,813,920 times
It's sort of like saying "May the 4th be with you".

It's another tradition that needs to stop. Unless you put god in front of it, well....it still means nothing. We should say what others languages say that aren't god related. Like Gesundheit. That's what I normally say, but really why does anything need to be said?

Old 05-04-2024, 07:10 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,982,074 times
Bless You - What Does it Really Mean?

Well, you see, when someone sneezes it's impolite to sit there like a bump on a log so the custom became to say, "God bless you and keep you from dying from that horrible flu which you likely just gave to me." But that was too long and politically incorrect as the person sneezing might be an atheist so the "God' was dropped and it just became "Bless you."

But personally what "Bless you" has to do with sneezing beat the hell out of me.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:53 AM

7,000 posts, read 6,921,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post

Yes, and I find religious people are like politicians, they manage to talk about something without actually answering the question asked. So, from this a blessing is...? and to be blessed means...?

Old 05-05-2024, 05:36 AM

20,119 posts, read 13,578,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Bless You - What Does it Really Mean?

Well, you see, when someone sneezes it's impolite to sit there like a bump on a log so the custom became to say, "God bless you and keep you from dying from that horrible flu which you likely just gave to me." But that was too long and politically incorrect as the person sneezing might be an atheist so the "God' was dropped and it just became "Bless you."

But personally what "Bless you" has to do with sneezing beat the hell out of me.
IIRC there was some old wive's tale about your spirit exiting your body when you sneeze and and the incantation puts it back, such that the devil, always lurking nearby, can't snatch it for himself.

There are a few similar such origin stories for the custom, but it's one of those things where no one is exactly sure why we do it.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:50 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,037,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have heard :
1) sneezing rejects evil spirits so bless you stops them getting back in, or
2) sneezing allows evil spirits to get in your body, so bless you stops them.

I believe it originated from sneezing being a symptom of bad health, so it is like a short prayer asking God to bless you so that you become better again.

I believe the Chinese say 'bi sway' to wish someone a long life.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:50 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,049,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Personally, I have learned to accept both the blessings and the curses in full, always looking to God to see me through it all...
I very much appreciate your comments. They are always very deep and profound. I can't give you another rep, I have to "spread the joy"...

Old 05-05-2024, 11:33 AM

1,509 posts, read 487,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I very much appreciate your comments. They are always very deep and profound. I can't give you another rep, I have to "spread the joy"...
Thank you farm108, I share what I know for others and not for myself. As I am not a self-defining person. Just as my Lord was baptized to fulfill all righteousness.

My greatest hope is to be blessed with a name from God, in its time and have it written in the Book of Life.

I could share more as my post was only a starting point with many facets. However, I have been feeling the prodding to move on.

The only thing reps mean to me is that someone was listening, and I thank you for that, and having the humble nature to listen.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:57 PM

705 posts, read 319,000 times
I think that "blessing" may have (at least) two meanings in English. One, of course, is whatever collection of good things that have happened to us, for whatever reasons, depending on your religious outlook. These things may even be a result of the other meaning of blessing, which is literally "benediction," meaning that someone "decrees" or asks that good things happen to you.

Some people believe that benediction has an actual effect in the physical world. This probably includes most orthodox Jews, and many Christians, who base their belief on unambiguous statements in the Bible.

AFAIK, among orthodox Jews, the proper response to a blessing is "Amen." Perhaps "Thank you" is just as appropriate.

I was once blessed by a stranger who I believe was Christian, and the blessing obviously manifested itself a few days (or a week? It was a long time ago.) later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality