Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 01:25 AM

63,977 posts, read 40,262,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except it does not make sense, it fails for the common reason that when the argument is also applied to the god did it hypothesis, you once again get an eternal chain of creator gods. If existence requires a god, then the existence of that god requires another god, and that god, ... ad infinitum. And the flawed Kalam's special pleading mantra does not refute the problem, it just pretends to answer it.
You never have comprehended the difference between my view of God and the mandated God of "religions" the forum recognizes and enforces. There is no endless Creator issue because God IS existence. God IS Life (inexplicable life is your primary deficiency). We do not need an explanation for it any more than we do for the existence you accept without question. Everything that exists is part of God, period. God's "life processes" establish what you call the "natural laws." You have no mechanism to dispute it other than consensus (ad populum) and scientific limitations. Evolution requires life to operate and there is no mechanism to turn dead and lifeless "processes" into motivated life.

You are so invested in the God of ignorant religious dogma you are incapable of freeing your mind from their incompatible descriptions and absurdities. You are an anti-religionist more than an atheist. That seems to be true of this forum and its rulers as well or my panentheist God would not be discriminated against.
Quote:
That you need to dismiss a valid objection as 'glib oneliners' is evidence you have no valid arguments for your position, therefore you need to rely, as usual, on an ad hominem. A PhD should not need to use methods cranks use.
Then do not imagine, think rationally. Any life form that does not have any type of motivation will die out. Only those with any attribute that 'motivates' it to survive will do so. It is hard to imagine life NOT acquiring motivation when one thinks rationally. We can explain how evolution works in the science section.
That is your Achille's heel. you have no mechanism to turn dead lifeless "processes" into motivated life, period. The motivation is the sticky wicket and it only gets stickier when the motivation is at our level of consciousness. Your view is myopic and dismissive of the most essential aspects of existence. Existence is Life and a living existence with consciousness is the epitome of God. Creator Schmeator!
Quote:
Yet theists (including you) are happy their god just IS. Thank you for your classic example of applying your own argument to your hypothesis and seeing your hypothesis also fail, because you argument IS that bad.
That is the problem, we are stuck with what "Just IS." Neither of us have a way to get away from it. You prefer a dead lifeless set of "processes" as the essence of your existence. I found out that was extremely misguided. We may never know God's level of direct or indirect involvement in our lives. My encounter assures me that God is aware of us and loves us, but the expectations of God's OmniMax direct involvement as found in the religions is moot, at best, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 06:47 AM

10,122 posts, read 6,482,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You never have comprehended the difference between my view of God and the mandated God of "religions" the forum recognizes and enforces. There is no endless Creator issue because God IS existence. God IS Life (inexplicable life is your primary deficiency). We do not need an explanation for it any more than we do for the existence you accept without question. Everything that exists is part of God, period. God's "life processes" establish what you call the "natural laws." You have no mechanism to dispute it other than consensus (ad populum) and scientific limitations. Evolution requires life to operate and there is no mechanism to turn dead and lifeless "processes" into motivated life.

You are so invested in the God of ignorant religious dogma you are incapable of freeing your mind from their incompatible descriptions and absurdities. You are an anti-religionist more than an atheist. That seems to be true of this forum and its rulers as well or my panentheist God would not be discriminated against. That is your Achille's heel. you have no mechanism to turn dead lifeless "processes" into motivated life, period. The motivation is the sticky wicket and it only gets stickier when the motivation is at our level of consciousness. Your view is myopic and dismissive of the most essential aspects of existence. Existence is Life and a living existence with consciousness is the epitome of God. Creator Schmeator! That is the problem, we are stuck with what "Just IS." Neither of us have a way to get away from it. You prefer a dead lifeless set of "processes" as the essence of your existence. I found out that was extremely misguided. We may never know God's level of direct or indirect involvement in our lives. My encounter assures me that God is aware of us and loves us, but the expectations of God's OmniMax direct involvement as found in the religions is moot, at best, IMO.
It's ironic that you're telling another poster that he is "so invested in the G-d of ignorant religious dogma" when you do the exact same thing. You have frequently posted it on this and the Christianity forums. If G-d IS Life and we do not need any explanation for it any more then we do for the existence we accept without question, then it also follows that we do not need a name or a separate role for G-d. Yet you have repeatedly stated that "Jesus" is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and only by accepting and becoming like him can we get to heaven.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:53 AM

16,829 posts, read 5,032,711 times
Quote:

You are so invested in the God of ignorant religious dogma you are incapable of freeing your mind from their incompatible descriptions and absurdities. You are an anti-religionist more than an atheist. That seems to be true of this forum and its rulers as well or my panentheist God would not be discriminated against. That is your Achille's heel. you have no mechanism to turn dead lifeless "processes" into motivated life, period. The motivation is the sticky wicket and it only gets stickier when the motivation is at our level of consciousness. Your view is myopic and dismissive of the most essential aspects of existence. Existence is Life and a living existence with consciousness is the epitome of God. Creator Schmeator! That is the problem, we are stuck with what "Just IS." Neither of us have a way to get away from it. You prefer a dead lifeless set of "processes" as the essence of your existence. I found out that was extremely misguided. We may never know God's level of direct or indirect involvement in our lives. My encounter assures me that God is aware of us and loves us, but the expectations of God's OmniMax direct involvement as found in the religions is moot, at best, IMO.
What as this to do with me, reality, or the OP?

Old 05-12-2024, 09:04 AM

37,525 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:

I can see that.

Our Founding Fathers were some devout men. They held different beliefs and they go along with each other. They did not want our Constitution to be worded in a context that only allowed for one specific religion, because that could lead to yet another Theocracy.

The complaints we have seen in this thread about it being 'vague' was done on purpose.

It was not written to cater to any one specific version of god, but recognizing that they all held personal beliefs of god.

This is one reason why I find FreeMasonry so fascinating. Each member must state belief in deity, yet nobody cares which religion you choose. It welcomes the Muslim as much as it welcomes the Jew or Christian.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It's ironic that you're telling another poster that he is "so invested in the G-d of ignorant religious dogma" when you do the exact same thing. You have frequently posted it on this and the Christianity forums. If G-d IS Life and we do not need any explanation for it any more then we do for the existence we accept without question, then it also follows that we do not need a name or a separate role for G-d. Yet you have repeatedly stated that "Jesus" is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and only by accepting and becoming like him can we get to heaven.
The descriptions of the mind of Jesus as found in the Bible MATCH the consciousness of God I encountered. That is the only reason I adopted Christianity and sought to make sense of its frequently barbaric and irrational interpretations of Christ. The many other descriptions of God in the Bible and other Holy books are inconsistent and do NOT match, IMO.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What has this to do with me, reality, or the OP?
And THIS is why you are clueless about my view of God. My view is closer to the Founders' views than any specific religion.

Old 05-12-2024, 04:25 PM

88,765 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It seems right to me. Growing up in India, all my siblings and me, and all my friends, attending catholic schools all our lives, did not think of the nuns (all Irish) who ran the school and also taught, as anything other than Christian. The various denominations were lost on us, we had no idea there were varieties of Christians. They all pray to Jesus and go to Church.
In 2016 I worked for a company owned by Chasidic Jews in Brooklyn, NY. They had no idea until I told them that not all Christians are Catholic. The conversation came up when I learned that one of our coworkers was a Mar Thoma Christian from Kerala. I knew they existed, but I had never met one.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 13,054,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In 2016 I worked for a company owned by Chasidic Jews in Brooklyn, NY. They had no idea until I told them that not all Christians are Catholic. The conversation came up when I learned that one of our coworkers was a Mar Thoma Christian from Kerala. I knew they existed, but I had never met one.
There’s a Mar Thoma Church near me in a converted light industrial building, which is pretty neat. Many adherents have biblical names—both first and last—and (bringing things back in the direction of your Hasidic friends) they sometimes even sound Jewish. A coworker who started at my current employer the same day as me has one of those names (think along the lines of “Abraham Nathan”). And imagine my surprise when I saw he wasn’t an elderly Ashkenazi Jew but a young Indian Christian!

Old 05-12-2024, 05:20 PM

16,107 posts, read 7,107,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are also Syrian Christians in Kerala. I dont know how these groups break out into the Christian denominations. My guess is most of them are Catholics.

Old 05-12-2024, 06:15 PM

22,626 posts, read 19,334,791 times
This link gives a hisotry of the Mar Thoma church

https://mtcsv.org/history-of-marthoma-church/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality