Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:20 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I know what I'm about to say may upset some, but my belief is...

Most people go to church in an attempt to seek the end results should there be a Heaven and a God, not because they are true in their souls. Yes, there are true Christians, but I have met many, many more church going hypocrites who are thieves, cheats, and womanizers.

I have raised my daughter to believe that the truest gift to God is to be a good honest person and to help others without even the slightest expectation of reward. That is as God-like as anything else we could do.

Only in our own souls do we know our true self.
Sounds like you’re doing what you accuse others of doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 05:32 PM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Sounds like you’re doing what you accuse others of doing.
Believe or say as you wish.

And I'm agnostic, so I have no skin in the game. I just try to be a good person because I think the world needs more of them.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:45 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
nicely put.

it is a recognition that there is MORE to life than just the things listed in the OP: money, job, family, career, friends, marriage, helping others.

and a yearning and desire to explore that more.
Because many people recognize that those items just listed above do NOT add up to "making their life worthwhile" and do not add up to "life to its fullest" and those are not "living the best life possible." That there is more than just feeding and breeding.
When I reflect on the first 30+ years of my life as an atheist, I realize I would have thought that the things in the OP were my focus (absent the helping others ). But considering my intense devotion to the discipline of meditation and martial arts that led to my encounter, it would seem more consistent with your assertion of a deeper yearning underlying my efforts. I should probably consider the encounter my answer as it certainly changed me and my life course.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:54 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
I know what I'm about to say may upset some, but my belief is...Most people go to church in an attempt to seek the end results should there be a Heaven and a God, not because they are true in their souls. Yes, there are true Christians, but I have met many, many more church going hypocrites who are thieves, cheats, and womanizers. I have raised my daughter to believe that the truest gift to God is to be a good honest person and to help others without even the slightest expectation of reward. That is as God-like as anything else we could do. Only in our own souls do we know our true self.
people aren't perfect. why would you expect them to be?

Old 02-19-2024, 05:54 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
nicely put.

it is a recognition that there is MORE to life than just the things listed in the OP: money, job, family, career, friends, marriage, helping others.

and a yearning and desire to explore that more. Because many people recognize that those items just listed above do NOT add up to "making their life worthwhile" and do not add up to "life to its fullest" and those are not "living the best life possible." That there is more than just feeding and breeding.
You can "recognize" that there is more to life than just the things listed...

And you still don't need to go to church or any of that stuff. Of course you can if you want. But you could believe that and sit at home and never leave the house too.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You can "recognize" that there is more to life than just the things listed...
And you still don't need to go to church or any of that stuff. Of course you can if you want. But you could believe that and sit at home and never leave the house too.
but the OP posits that those things listed are the pinnacle of living the best life, the be-all and end-all of life itself.

also it is not about "belief" or holding different beliefs. beliefs are empty if they are not put into practice in how a person lives daily life.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:36 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Believe or say as you wish.

And I'm agnostic, so I have no skin in the game. I just try to be a good person because I think the world needs more of them.
If you’re agnostic, why are you teaching your daughter to be God-like?

Old 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
If you’re agnostic, why are you teaching your daughter to be God-like?
good question. curious to hear the response.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:51 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah and some of us get over ourselves at some point, lol
And that too, is just a part of the process. Quoting Lenin, a bit paraphrased, human makes one step forward, but physical drags it two steps back. And then, when human hits absolute bottom, like a drug addict, crazed on the sensual pleasures, human says - ENOUGH, and only THEN he takes a first real step towards parting with the physical.
It's those, who have been through hell, that succeed.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:01 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
but the OP posits that those things listed are the pinnacle of living the best life, the be-all and end-all of life itself.

also it is not about "belief" or holding different beliefs. beliefs are empty if they are not put into practice in how a person lives daily life.
See, this is what they want you to believe. That you live only once. That you need to live the life. Take everything from it. Consume. Consume. Consume. Have easy life. Avoid any burdens. And so on.
It is a pinnacle of liberal individualism. Just like Hollywood production - by theft or dagger, get your billion and escape responsibility. Don't even want to go into all that.
But to live a life like that - and spend, spend, spend - you have to have very little ethics and you and who instils more ethics, than a faith?
So yes, destroy faith!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality