Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NY force highway Chic Fil A's to remain open?
Yes, travelers need all options on Sundays 5 16.67%
No, Chic Fil A has freedoms 23 76.67%
Undecided 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 07:10 AM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times

Advertisements

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-...a31429bf66184b

I'm in Michigan, but the state of New York is proposing a bill to force businesses to stay open 7 days a week if they are in the state's highway rest stop systems. They say that this does not target Chic-Fil-A, but apparently Chic-Fil-A is the only company in that situation that does not remain open 7 days a week and in the official literature put out in favor of the bill Chic Fil A is mentioned specifically by name.

Chic-Fil-A argues that they should be closed on "Sundays so employees can enjoy time with their families and “worship if they choose.""

The congress member who is proposing this bill, Tony Simone, to force Chic-Fil-A to be open on Sundays at the highway stops says his bill is about “Look, if you want to eat fried chicken while traveling over the holidays, then Chick-fil-A should be open on Sundays."

If Chic-Fil-A pays the required rent, who cares? I think its a 1st Amendment Freedom of Religion that a private business has the right to close on Sundays for family and or worship time. I'd imagine that their employees love having a consistent day off every week whether for religion or the NFL football games.

Using Tony Simone's logic, if the government can force a business to be open on Sundays, can we force the government to be open on Sundays too like the Postal Service, Secretary of State's Office, Town Hall, Social Security Services, etc..?

I'm just really dismayed and disappointed that a politician would think its okay to infringe upon a private's business practice of offering time off for family and or worship. I'm a vegetarian so I don't even use them.

The news article says the founder of the company opposed gay marriage so many people don't like him, which is not okay of him, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 12-23-2023, 07:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
I'd also be curious to know if every business along the highway is open 24/7. Not just food, but EVERY business. Is there ever a day when a traveler might possibly stop and not find them open?

Old 12-23-2023, 07:38 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'd also be curious to know if every business along the highway is open 24/7. Not just food, but EVERY business. Is there ever a day when a traveler might possibly stop and not find them open?

It specifically says it applies only to businesses in the highway rest areas. In the states I have traveled, these are in controlled access areas on toll roads (state turnpikes).

Old 12-23-2023, 08:19 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It specifically says it applies only to businesses in the highway rest areas. In the states I have traveled, these are in controlled access areas on toll roads (state turnpikes).

Not sure what this has to do with Religion and Spirituality... but anyway.

Assuming this is the case... why would the state have contracted with Chic-Fil-A in the first place? It's not like it is some big secret that they don't operate on Sundays.

And if the state has just decided that this is an issue... Just don't renew their lease and put another fast food joint in their spot.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:43 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes. This is talking ONLY about restaurants that are on land owned by the state that are on limited access highway right of ways owned by the state of New York, such as the New York State Thruway.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:52 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
It's not about people wanting chicken on Sunday.

Sure they can pass a law but they signed the contract with CFA knowing full well they are closed on Sundays.
Just don't renew the contract.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:31 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's not about people wanting chicken on Sunday.

Sure they can pass a law but they signed the contract with CFA knowing full well they are closed on Sundays.
Just don't renew the contract.
And I think that's a fair position. But, don't renew.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:25 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Chick-fil-a should just hire Seventh Day Adventists to cover Sundays, problem solved.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:54 AM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
https://apnews.com/article/new-york-...a31429bf66184b

I'm in Michigan, but the state of New York is proposing a bill to force businesses to stay open 7 days a week if they are in the state's highway rest stop systems. They say that this does not target Chic-Fil-A, but apparently Chic-Fil-A is the only company in that situation that does not remain open 7 days a week and in the official literature put out in favor of the bill Chic Fil A is mentioned specifically by name.

Chic-Fil-A argues that they should be closed on "Sundays so employees can enjoy time with their families and “worship if they choose.""

The congress member who is proposing this bill, Tony Simone, to force Chic-Fil-A to be open on Sundays at the highway stops says his bill is about “Look, if you want to eat fried chicken while traveling over the holidays, then Chick-fil-A should be open on Sundays."

If Chic-Fil-A pays the required rent, who cares? I think its a 1st Amendment Freedom of Religion that a private business has the right to close on Sundays for family and or worship time. I'd imagine that their employees love having a consistent day off every week whether for religion or the NFL football games.

Using Tony Simone's logic, if the government can force a business to be open on Sundays, can we force the government to be open on Sundays too like the Postal Service, Secretary of State's Office, Town Hall, Social Security Services, etc..?

I'm just really dismayed and disappointed that a politician would think its okay to infringe upon a private's business practice of offering time off for family and or worship. I'm a vegetarian so I don't even use them.
You’d have a stronger argument if New York were trying to force all privately run businesses to operate daily. But that’s not what’s happening here. I can understand why some lawmakers want vendors in state-operated rest stops to be open daily, for the benefit of the people who use New York’s limited access highways daily and stop and spend money at said rest stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
The news article says the founder of the company opposed gay marriage so many people don't like him, which is not okay of him, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Forgive me for shedding no tears for Homophobia Fried Chicken, which can and will continue to operate throughout New York State and elsewhere.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:58 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The bill just applies to the highway rest stop system, and the state's desire to have services 24/7 at those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality