Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 09:46 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Have I quarreled with you, or are you hurt by my response?
Calling someone ignorant because they don't have the same belief system and/or beliefs that you have is not kind to that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 09:02 AM

1,017 posts, read 550,137 times
This should get the Thread Title of the Month Award! I know exactly what the op means though, because I've traveled a lot and always keep an open mind. One quickly sees that there are religious people (God help them) and then there are spiritual people. Religions are basically clubs, and like any club you have to subscribe to the basic ideas and rules or you're not welcome.

Spiritual people embrace ALL the different flavors and practices on spirituality, even atheism. They're fun people, and positive to be around. A lot of religious people suffer from spiritual pride and are very bigoted towards others who do not believe what they believe. They are not a lot of fun to be around.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:32 AM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
This should get the Thread Title of the Month Award! I know exactly what the op means though, because I've traveled a lot and always keep an open mind. One quickly sees that there are religious people (God help them) and then there are spiritual people. Religions are basically clubs, and like any club you have to subscribe to the basic ideas and rules or you're not welcome.

Spiritual people embrace ALL the different flavors and practices on spirituality, even atheism. They're fun people, and positive to be around. A lot of religious people suffer from spiritual pride and are very bigoted towards others who do not believe what they believe. They are not a lot of fun to be around.
That's a very good analysis. Particularly "the club" concept. The 'we're in a club of special people' way of thinking. It's not totally different than the concept of a country club used to be...a bit of snobbery involved.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:55 PM

529 posts, read 184,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I really do hate religion,and have for almost my whole life. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places, talked to people about religion, god, etc. and have found that no matter where I travelled people know there is only one god. I found there to be no debate about this subject, and it seems really stupid to have so many religions, when people can agree that everyone prays (hopes) to the one creator which people call god. Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
So much death, division and hate comes from differences that people have regarding their religion and christians especially think that their religion is the only one that counts. Wrong.

Many religious people, if they were born to another family in another country would most likely practice another religion as most people stay true to the religion of their parents.
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
I'm glad you were able to vent and so sorry religion stressed you out so much, but I don't think you hate religion I believe you were hurt by it. As a Christian-Wiccan-Shaman Witch that is Atheist friendly I deal with so much grief by the religious choices I made in life, but I wouldn't change a thing in the world because this is who I am and what I stand for.

As a person with such a diverse background I can confidently say that religion doesn't make a person better or not. I have seen the best and worst in people regardless of the religion they choose or refrain from.

Religion does not dictate what type of morals a person has, that relies strictly on what is in your heart, and since people have such passionate views about their religious beliefs it doesn't bother me if they disagree with me or try to demonize me, because what matters to me is if I'm happy.

When I'm by myself I'm ecstatic, at peace and confident in my life and no one is going to take that joy away from me. I'm not going to give them that power anymore. The bottom line is that I'm happy and support whatever decision a person makes about having religion in their life or not and only ask they respect my right to decide for myself what is right for me.

That is the beauty of religion because at it's best it is meant to bring people together, not tear them apart as we try to search for our meaning of life regardless if it is in a religious, or secular section.

Wow, I didn't realize I had so much bottled up inside of me, but I feel better too! Before I go I want people to know my love for you is unconditional, I don't care who you are, where you come from, your social status, race, age, gender, orientation, or religious preference. I promise to love you with all my heart and treat you like my closest family member if you allow me to. I only ask you harm none and understand the priceless person you truly are!

Sometimes it's hard to forgive others and even harder to forgive yourself, but to forgive is divine and one of the beautiful things I found out about life. We are only human and we are going to make mistakes in life but when you make a mistake around me, don't be surprised when you receive a hug and a laugh from me to let you know it's ok to be human. This is the religion I follow this is the life I live. Love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality