Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:58 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

I just heard mine for the first time this year: Carol of the Bells. I could sing that all year, and sometimes do. I'll put it on when I think of it and miss it. I'll change certain words if it's not Christmas season. It's mystical, magical, inspiring and uplifting. I like the choral arrangements and also the instrumental bell chimes.

I have other favorites, of course!

Yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 06:52 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
I came here to say CAROL OF THE BELLS!

haha....

It's my favorite.
And it also ended up having a very deeply personal meaning for me, so now I'm even more attached.

The following description you gave is perfect:
Quote:
It's mystical, magical, inspiring and uplifting.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:15 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Awesome! I have a feeling it is a favorite of many people.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:08 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I just heard mine for the first time this year: Carol of the Bells. I could sing that all year, and sometimes do. I'll put it on when I think of it and miss it. I'll change certain words if it's not Christmas season. It's mystical, magical, inspiring and uplifting. I like the choral arrangements and also the instrumental bell chimes.

I have other favorites, of course!

Yours?
My daughter's high school chorus winter concerts always ended with Carol of the Bells, and former students/chorus members who might be attending were invited to come up and join. I love it, too.

I can't go wrong with Silent Night. One of my favorite childhood memories was the Christmas Eve Candlelight service, when everyone was given a candle upon entering and at the end of the service, they shut out the lights, someone walked with a big candle up the aisle lighting the candle of the person at the end, and then the flame was passed candle to candle and we all sang Silent Night together.

My Episcopal Church did it, too, but it was always badly coordinated. They'd forget to shut off the lights, the pianist would start playing and people would start singing before everyone was lit. It annoyed me because ruined the magic of it.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:28 AM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
From those who passed away too young. R.I.P. Greg, Shane and Kirsty.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:13 PM

426 posts, read 160,478 times
I think my top favorites are O Come O Come Emmanuel/Veni Veni and Coventry Carol. Both of them have aspects of them that are ancient, which makes them appealing to me because I like early music a lot.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I think my top favorites are O Come O Come Emmanuel/Veni Veni and Coventry Carol. Both of them have aspects of them that are ancient, which makes them appealing to me because I like early music a lot.
I love O Come O Come Emmanuel, but I didn't say that because it's an ADVENT song.

Partly for that reason, though. It's very old.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:12 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
O Holy Night, but there are a lot of great ones.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
O Holy Night, but there are a lot of great ones.
Oh yes, I do love O Holy Night, too.

Another one I came to know when a girl in my daughter's high school chorus with an amazing voice sang Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song), which I had never heard before. I think everyone in the audience, religious or otherwise, was moved by it.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:35 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
In terms of religious christmas songs, "Oh Holy Night" is my favorite, perhaps because in high school French we had to learn it in French.

In terms of non-religious christmas songs, Perry Como's "Christmas Dream" by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtET2CV55g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality