Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 02:29 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,995,366 times

Advertisements

People evolved from stone ages and now you can believe all sorts of different fairy tails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 05:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 577,036 times
Yes, you're over thinking things. Just go about your business, say no or yes to people as needed, and follow your own path.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:40 AM

7,191 posts, read 4,781,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLove View Post
I grew up catholic and recall that faith and religion were always important to my mother and grandmother. In fact, my mom shared growing up Baptist before switching to Catholic as me and my siblings attended private Catholic school.

But, even without this influence from my mother or school I've always had a sense of God or felt connected since a very young age. As an adult I have gotten away from the practice of religion or rituals like attending Church. But, I pray often or several times a day and still have faith. Now I am definitely not perfect but I always keep God in mind.

Prior to my mother's transition aka death she hoped I would reconnect with Church by attending for more connections to hopefully kind people, support, and to continue strengthening my relationship with God.

Here's my concern. I've encountered 2 different people who seem to want to recruit me to their Church. I use recruit because it feels that way. The 1st person was someone I once considered a friend and former neighbor who befriended me and my mother...who is a pastors wife with a small to mid size congregation. I attended their service once and they kept inviting visitors to join at least 3x. It was only me and another person. The other gave in and joined. I stopped trying to maintain this friendship for a different reason. This woman did something I found very distasteful. She asked to store her car in my garage since her family was moving to downsize. I was only to be a few weeks or 1 month. Well, 7 years later I told her to remove her car. I never charged any fees and she never checked on it or offered. I'd only get a 1x per thank you. When she had to retrieve the car she accused me of stealing the battery from the car. The car was raggedy and required a tow into my garage and to remove it. On the day of removal I was offered $100 that I declined before being accused. In the moment I didn't realize that was her issue. She later apologized when her husband said he forgot that he gave the battery away. Still, I felt very differently about her because we both know I let her take advantage of my kindness. Yet, I would feel guilty as if she judged me for not being in Church often or her Church.

Now, the 2nd person is someone referred to me for repairs. He's an older/senior who seems nice enough and was helpful etc. He has invited me to visit his non-denominational Church. I genuinely appreciate the offer and said I'd reach out when ready. He said no pressure and they don't try to force membership or ask for money. He said just check it out. Yet, he keeps asking when I am going to attend. I feel uncomfortable, annoyed, and aggravated by him.

I find myself worrying if I am fighting against something God sent...trying to get me into Church. Or, am I overthinking or is this the enemy? I do consider myself more spiritual. I also worry about predators which I tend to attract...I am always working on myself.

Given that I am far from a expert on knowing scripture...does anyone have any feedback related to scripture that might speak to my feelings? Or, any personal experiences with this?

Thanks
As a former Catholic I cannot understand why you don’t cut these recruiters at their knees. Your conscience is telling you that these people are recruiters and your conscience is right. If you need to reconnect with God/the church then go back to your mother’s faith. She cared more about you than these pseudo christians.
The Protestants are ALWAYS trying to sign people up. There is a passage in Mark 16:15 that instructs people to go out and spread the gospel. They all want to “save” you. Stay away from those people please. 98% of them are just like that preacher’s wife: vile, mean and hateful. They don’t believe Catholics are Christians when Catholicism is the FIRST Christian denomination. They’re ignorant.

Just tell them the following “ I am a Christian and I already have a church home. Thank you for your offer but I’m good.” If they keep pushing just tell them you’re not going and that’s that.

I am a former Catholic but I can’t suffer fools gladly. I left the church because I’ve always had doubts about the Trinity, the notion that we’re all sinners, vicarious atonement, and that salvation is only through Christ. Salvation has to be accessible to everyone. Why would god create human beings in Mongolia or Tibet where they haven’t heard of Jesus and then deny them “salvation”?

If you were baptized all you need is the sacraments. Now, if you have doubts about Christianity, send me a DM.

BTW, their scriptures are all wrong. There are contradictions and lies all over the place. Don’t be impressed by their biblical quotes: they pick and choose what suits them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality