Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 06:27 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,218,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So what you're saying is, you prayed to god, and in answer to your prayer, god nearly killed someone for you, so that you could move into their job.
Are you listening to yourself?
Must have been a slow day for god.

It's a coincidence. That is all.
I can take that it is a coincidence. Varying perspectives is what I appreciate. It helps me think I didn't cause this.

And I do realize how the post sounds and I was afraid someone would read it the way you did. I most definitely did not mean it that way.

We saved a man's life and I am feeling guilty...or something. I am so grateful that what happened to him happened in a place where people were able to do something. We were scared and panicked and I am not dealing with the event well.

It is very overwhelming to think that we had such an impact. Mightyqueen your perspective is especially appreciated because of the experiences you have shared here.

I am ashamed that some would feel that I am only thinking of the benefit to myself...that is definitely not what I want. There is a part of me that needs to understand the technical things as well as the spiritual/philosophical side of this event.

In the end, I think it's probably just best to take it as it came, as it was, and how it is progressing and to try to move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 06:34 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,218,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As O'Darby correctly pointed out, you can take this event either way, so it was no sort of answer.
Thank you, I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not sure any of us here - or any external person - is really appropriate to determine prayers / answer to prayers. This is really between the person and the higher power (God, etc.) That's the best link for understanding; not batting it around between humans. I guess that comes from seeing decades of interference and bumbling; even when well-intentioned.
You have a great point. There is really no way to know what God (or any supreme entity) is doing or impacting at any point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
The challenge of causation.

Was it just a coincidence that you prayed and your boss had a medical incident and could possibly retire, giving you the path to take his place? Or was it just a random event that happened that your boss had a medical incident and you just so happened to pray the night before asking for which path to take? What happens if the incident occurred and you did not pray the night before?

I don't know what to tell you. Some people pray and they get what they pray for. Others, not so much.
Thank you. Sometimes the answers we get are not the answers we were seeking. It's like that saying "God answers all prayers and sometimes the answer is NO." That's sort of what this feels like. As a logical/science oriented person I can say this was mere coincidence. But the spiritual side of me just wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're trying to read God into something that has nothing to do with God, just natural events.
Thank you. This line of reasoning is practical and I do appreciate it.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:13 AM

1,349 posts, read 661,366 times
Sometimes people are surprised because things that happen in their lives just randomly happen unexpectedly and it happens after they pray.

Examples:

They've been applying for a new job for several months with multiple rejections. One night, they pray that the job they interviewed for just recently went well because it "felt so good". The following morning, they get an email saying they got the job.

A lady is trying to find a partner and has been single for several years and has gone on several dates with no success. She prays one night and after a week, meets a man who "feels so right" and ends up marrying the man.

Just two examples I can think of but these are scenarios that involve multiple failures, then out of the blue, success happens and it happens right after a prayer. Coincidence? Who knows.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 AM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Sometimes people are surprised because things that happen in their lives just randomly happen unexpectedly and it happens after they pray.

Examples:

They've been applying for a new job for several months with multiple rejections. One night, they pray that the job they interviewed for just recently went well because it "felt so good". The following morning, they get an email saying they got the job.

A lady is trying to find a partner and has been single for several years and has gone on several dates with no success. She prays one night and after a week, meets a man who "feels so right" and ends up marrying the man.

Just two examples I can think of but these are scenarios that involve multiple failures, then out of the blue, success happens and it happens right after a prayer. Coincidence? Who knows.
There have been 3 times in my life when things happened that at first seemed to be more than just coincidence. After much thought and deliberation, two of the incidents still seem inexplicable because they changed my life. The third seemed to have no 'meaning'.

But your job example was a good one. When I was young and trying to get started in teaching, I prayed I get a job...and did. But a few times before that, I didn't. And even when I did, gee -- I had a great college record, excellent references, and had prepared well for the interview process. God didn't do it. I did it.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:51 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
I bet the OPs thoughts were exactly what the dude who was Uzzah's understudy as an "Ark of the Covenant" carrier was thinking when Uzzah went down.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:26 PM

501 posts, read 170,403 times
To expand on some of these thoughts, I personally think it's risky to pray "for" anything, such as signs. When we pray "for" something, it is unavoidable that we start actively looking for answers. There is great risk of attaching "answered-prayer" meaning to what are in fact coincidences or occurences that anyone else would see as completely meaningless. Moreover, praying for signs is, to me, too much in the vein of putting God to the test.

I tend to pray in more general terms. An atheist, of course, may say that I do this to avoid the disappointment of not having my prayers answered at all. My convictions are strong enough that I know this isn't why I pray as I do - it truly is because I trust that God will provide answers consistent with His will without me asking for specifics, and I don't want to work myself into the very sort of confusion we see the OP experiencing.

At the truly critical junctures I've mentioned, where a complex series of events fell into place in what seemed a genuinely miraculous way, I don't recall praying at all beyond "Help, I'm in a helluva mess here." Those occurrences gave me a strong level of confidence that I was being watched over and protected without praying for signs or specific things to happen.

Old 11-02-2023, 05:13 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
It makes no sense to me. It isn't like the OP was able to make a decision based on this incident. The boss was at the age where something like this might happen, and he could have had a pre-existing issue that helped him make the decision to retire next year.

OP needs to find a different method other than relying on a sign from God. I don't see God as a micromanager in our lives. Of course, if God makes the decision, well, if it is the wrong decision............

On second thought, maybe there was a message: Would the job vacated when this man leaves so very stressful that OP should wonder if this really is the job to hope to be promoted to, as in would this be OP's future?

One can always read a message into an event, if they try hard enough.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 11-02-2023 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-03-2023, 12:29 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
I learned a long time ago not to pray for someone I love to be healed, because too many times it seems those prayers triggered God to remember the person was sick and then kill them. I thought maybe if I didn't pray for people to be healed anymore, they might get a chance.

I did continue to pray for guidance. Sometimes I felt those prayers were answered. Other times I suspect that praying let me stop trying to figure things out long enough that it all got sorted out in my subconscious.

I try not to pray at all these days, besides the occasional remembrance to be thankful for something, but old habits die hard, and too many times I find myself asking for help before I remember that none will ever be forthcoming and that I should not do that.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:18 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Not quite sure where to post this, but I think a prayer was answered. Yesterday I asked God to give me a sign of which path I am supposed to take. I’m not sure if I got the answer but if what happened was the answer, dang it was LOUD AND CLEAR.

Around 1pm yesterday afternoon we heard a “boom” of sorts. My coworker, V, and I thought someone had dropped some files or a box fell over. Then our front desk person, J, started yelling. I don’t even remember what she was saying but when I came out of my office, my boss was laying on the floor in front of his office. He was out cold.

He was breathing, but it was weird – like he was snoring and gurgling. V and I decided to roll him on his side to help his breathing. And then the breathing stopped. We rolled him onto his back and unbuttoned his shirt as other people were coming with an AED unit. Another coworker, T, began chest compressions and I eventually gave three breaths to him. After a couple of seconds, he started breathing again and “woke up”.

Arms and legs flailing as he struggled but you could tell he wasn’t quite coherent yet. I was reminding myself that this is not an unusual reaction. I bear hugged him from behind and V held his legs until he calmed down. About this time the EMTs arrived. We got out of the way. The EMTs asked him his name, where he was, his birthday – he was lucid. Then they took him to the hospital.

While we initially thought that perhaps this was a blood sugar incident, it appears it was not. He is still in the hospital for tests and there seems to be an issue with his heart. He is in his early 60’s and is expected to retire next year.

Now, how does this have anything to do with the path question I put to God?

When I was hired for this job about 18 months ago, I was hired as this man’s successor. I have made at least one near fatal error in my role, but otherwise, I believe I have done my job well. I’m not sure what the management’s decision will be when my boss decides to retire. He could decide to retire now. He could decide to stay on for the coming year.

And what does that mean for me?

Sounds selfish, doesn’t it? But what if the question I posed to God somehow was a factor in all this? What if my boss had collapsed somewhere alone? What if he had passed out while driving?

I’m so glad that he is alive and that whatever caused this episode will likely be able to be addressed through medical care.

Today the office is weird, of course. I think we are all hoping for a very boring day. I know we are still waiting for updates on my boss’s condition and hoping that he can go home today.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm struggling a little with this.
You are certainly not the only person who looks around when things happen and tries to figure out what God had in mind. It's quite common actually, for many people who believe in God, but I think that's something of a "double-edged sword," because like you, feelings of guilt or responsibility for when bad things happen can all too often be the result.

Even us atheists have a way of doing the same thing. I don't know how many "crossroads" in life I have had to consider and act upon. Sometimes not sure which way to go, and I'll conclude the universe will decide for me. Or sometimes I have plans and "the universe" decides those plans won't do, and next thing I know I'm headed down a different path.

For me, however, all of this sort of thing is not being orchestrated by any thinking, caring or supernatural force. I don't believe there was a God involved in anything you experienced at work either. Events will unfold as they will, and you've simply got to work through them as best you see fit. If thinking a god is involved helps you somehow, then okay, but careful of that "double-edged sword." Glad I don't have that issue anyway...

Old 11-05-2023, 06:13 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,183,958 times
OP,

It means you are falling victim to the Post Hoc Fallacy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post...go_propter_hoc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality