Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 07:40 AM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times

Advertisements

Could Jesus be compared to Buddha in this sense and in this sense alone: Buddha ignored the laws that the Vedas prescribed in order to be the ideal human. There are many. He did not preach so much about breaking laws but showed the way to be free of bondage and suffering, that liberation did not lie so much in the observing of Vedic laws as in one’s own actions and intent.
It seems to me, Jesus similarly was teaching a different way of being. Not so much as to offend Judaism but to show the way to a spiritual connection with the cosmos.
I welcome your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 09:36 AM

63,870 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Could Jesus be compared to Buddha in this sense and in this sense alone: Buddha ignored the laws that the Vedas prescribed in order to be the ideal human. There are many. He did not preach so much about breaking laws but showed the way to be free of bondage and suffering, that liberation did not lie so much in the observing of Vedic laws as in one’s own actions and intent.
It seems to me, Jesus similarly was teaching a different way of being. Not so much as to offend Judaism but to show the way to a spiritual connection with the cosmos.
I welcome your thoughts.
I see Jesus as the Maitreya that Buddha (some 500 years before Jesus's birth) predicted would arise as the PERFECT manifestation of Maitri (Agape love?).

Old 10-23-2023, 10:14 AM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
I welcome your thoughts.
What does the scripture say?

Matthew 5:17 - Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

So here, Jesus is saying he is not abolishing the law, the contract, the Old Testament, he is saying he is here to fulfill it, as in to honor a contract, to follow it.

Matthew 5:18 - For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Here Jesus is saying to follow all of the OT laws, every single last one, including diet and circumcision; always, until heaven and earth disappear.

Matthew 5:19 - Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Here is an attack on Paul, who said the law must be followed except for the diet and circumcision laws, and also said he was the least of the apostles (using the same word).

In the same chapter of Matthew, Jesus also talks about the law, but then adds to them, so not only is murder wrong, being angry is also wrong; and calling someone a fool will put that person in danger of being punished in the fire of Hell.

A little later, he reminds people about the law on adultery, but then adds that even thinking sexually about another woman is adultery. Presumably because she is innocent in this thought crime, only he should have his crushed by rocks.

So Jesus and Buddha appear to not be following the same ideals.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:21 AM

11,118 posts, read 7,184,815 times
Jesus, Buddha, Lao Zsu. All great spiritual leaders. Draw upon all of them for maximum results.

Human laws usually get in the way of spiritual matters. Jettison them for freedom.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-23-2023 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-23-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What does the scripture say?

Matthew 5:17 - Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

So here, Jesus is saying he is not abolishing the law, the contract, the Old Testament, he is saying he is here to fulfill it, as in to honor a contract, to follow it.

Matthew 5:18 - For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Here Jesus is saying to follow all of the OT laws, every single last one, including diet and circumcision; always, until heaven and earth disappear.

Matthew 5:19 - Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Here is an attack on Paul, who said the law must be followed except for the diet and circumcision laws, and also said he was the least of the apostles (using the same word).

In the same chapter of Matthew, Jesus also talks about the law, but then adds to them, so not only is murder wrong, being angry is also wrong; and calling someone a fool will put that person in danger of being punished in the fire of Hell.

A little later, he reminds people about the law on adultery, but then adds that even thinking sexually about another woman is adultery. Presumably because she is innocent in this thought crime, only he should have his crushed by rocks.

So Jesus and Buddha appear to not be following the same ideals.
You are not relying on what Jesus said. You are relying on what our ancestors THOUGHT He said and meant. As the ultimate pragmatist, you have to recognize that the "laws" were attempts to provide very "carnal minds" with practical guidelines for developing the proper spiritual state of mind. It is our spiritual state of mind that determines our spiritual status, NOT our carnal or worldly obedience to laws.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:35 AM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are not relying on what Jesus said. You are relying on what our ancestors THOUGHT He said and meant. As the ultimate pragmatist, you have to recognize that the "laws" were attempts to provide very "carnal minds" with practical guidelines for developing the proper spiritual state of mind. It is our spiritual state of mind that determines our spiritual status, NOT our carnal or worldly obedience to laws.
Good point Mystic. Jesus’ actions don’t follow certain laws. He acted with compassion and wisdom and without fear. His words “turn the other cheek” is very powerful. as is the thing about the needle and the camel. Are these not new ways of thinking about what laws to follow?

Old 10-23-2023, 11:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Good point Mystic. Jesus’ actions don’t follow certain laws. He acted with compassion and wisdom and without fear. His words “turn the other cheek” is very powerful. as is the thing about the needle and the camel. Are these not new ways of thinking about what laws to follow?
Yes, good point, Mystic, we can not take the alleged eyewitness account literally, let us take it literally. I have become dizzy with the eye rolling.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
I welcome your thoughts.
In the sense that he taught to ignore human-made rules, sure. But no, Jesus was not teaching "a way to a spiritual connection with the cosmos". He taught a way to have peace with God, the Creator of the cosmos.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:03 PM

501 posts, read 169,944 times
Jesus fully believed the OT and did not view the OT commandments and laws as human-made. His point was more that there are higher principles of love, justice, mercy and compassion that may be violated by strict and slavish adherence to the letter of the commandments and laws. This is why "love God" and "love your neighbor" are the two transcendent guiding principles through which the other laws and commandments must be filtered. Not a different way of being but a closer connection to the reality of God.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Jesus fully believed the OT and did not view the OT commandments and laws as human-made. His point was more that there are higher principles of love, justice, mercy and compassion that may be violated by strict and slavish adherence to the letter of the commandments and laws. This is why "love God" and "love your neighbor" are the two transcendent guiding principles through which the other laws and commandments must be filtered. Not a different way of being but a closer connection to the reality of God.
The bold is what is meant by the letter versus the Spirit of the laws. Our ancestors insisted on the "strict and slavish adherence" to commandments and apparently so have most Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality