Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 12:07 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure about your last question regarding reading material. Whether it's a serious question or some humor since it's followed with a smiley face. Or is that a laughing face? I'm not sure, but if the question is a serious one, it would depend on what the goal might be for the reading.
A question I face myself fairly often when I get through one stack of library books and go back to the library for another stack. Always with that question. What do I want to read about? What interests me and why? I get a stack, because it's hard to "judge a book by it's cover," and I always have a variety of interests or topics that I find interesting to read about. I figure if I get about four or five, at least one of them should prove worth reading. More often than not, however, I end up reading all of them and glad I did!

After years and years of doing so, depending on what you are interested in reading about, I probably have a good suggestion or two for you. Books worth reading in my opinion anyway.
It was a joke to lighten your mood. Nevermind. You can go discuss smart things with other people more educated than me. I don't feel as though you really want to converse, just sort of be condescending and so very serious. Go right ahead. I'm here to have fun, I have no idea what you are doing.

Ok, I'm interested in Buddhism right now and learning about other religions. Recommend away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 11:21 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It was a joke to lighten your mood. Nevermind. You can go discuss smart things with other people more educated than me. I don't feel as though you really want to converse, just sort of be condescending and so very serious. Go right ahead. I'm here to have fun, I have no idea what you are doing.

Ok, I'm interested in Buddhism right now and learning about other religions. Recommend away.
My comments range from many an effort at humor. Some successful, some duds. Also all manner of other comments that no doubt people could describe in all manner of different ways. From serious to light-hearted. Quite a long history of all the above in this forum in any case. A history I don't think well justifies this recent comment of yours here that seems to be coming from quite a different person from who I thought you were before.

I was honestly interested to know whether you were asking for book recommendations. Surely we all know that comments are not always so easy to understand as perfectly as the person posting the comment hopes, and I'm certainly no expert in emoji interpretations. Didn't mean to be condescending and no need to be insulting.

Maybe best to just ask you another question. Had a bad day yesterday maybe?

Old 10-14-2023, 11:49 AM

426 posts, read 159,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Since we got another Oklahoman in here...

I feel the need to defend our State in terms of the athiest/agnostic community that we DO have here. Very active. OKC has one of the largest local Atheist organizations in the nation and held the national convention a few years ago.

We also have one of the top Atheist media/podcaster/spokesmen in Seth Andrews. Seth is from Tulsa and came out of a strong typical Oklahoma tradition. He is an incredibly talented speaker who's demeanor is eerily similar to a former Tulsa iconic broadcaster...Paul Harvey.

Here is Seth's site....

https://www.thethinkingatheist.com/
I'm sorry, but that defense doesn't help much. I also currently live in Oklahoma and I do not have any defense for the state.

I'm not concerned about community. I never found community in church when I was still in it, and likewise I have never found a need for an atheist community... which tend to be full of men who don't understand boundaries, which I've heard of from multiple other women, including a friend at my former university who would not go on a trip to a secular conference with their atheist group because she wasn't comfortable with the men. A secular humanist community might be better for me, but as I said, I'm not one for going to community settings. I'm a recluse and I like to spend time at home with my dog.

A community does not make up for the theocrats who have control over the state. A community does bring back my human rights that the theocrats have taken away (if you want to discuss this, should probably PM me instead, but you know what I'm talking about anyway). The community is not anywhere near big enough to overpower the theocrats. I've voted in every single election here since I grew to the age of eligibility. The state never votes for reason. I'm done.

My favorite secular Oklahoman figure is actually Forrest Valkai. He's much, much newer to the scene than Seth, but he's so fun to listen to. His passion for science flows through so vibrantly it's hard to not feel it yourself. But science isn't for me... Can't deal with dissection and that kind of stuff. Nope, absolutely not. I'm glad there are people like Forrest that can. (I suppose I could be a botanist... but that might require being outside. In which case, nope. Absolutely not! lol)

Old 10-19-2023, 06:18 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I'm sorry, but that defense doesn't help much. I also currently live in Oklahoma and I do not have any defense for the state.

Seth Andrews
Forrest Valkai. l)
Are you suggesting that Oklahoma is Not OK ????

I was in Oklahoma to work for a year (long ago) My Old Lady hated it, but I thought it was OK (Sorry No Pun Intended)
She pointed out though that I always have highly educated people as coworkers. Not to suggest that Clients/patients always are, but there was at least an academic community in Tulsa (even if they are now football rivals to the Alma Mater) But yes, I worked around educated people, the crowd of over-educated /underpaid secular problem solvers who at the time, paid religion no mind and moved on with assigned duties (This was though decades ago) SO I was daily around people who could hold a conversation in a variety of topics, not just "Oh Uh The church said not to drink that..."

I d agree though that community can be toxic especially when a small group seizes a perceived "authority"exerts an unhealthy or extreme influence over others and individuals in the peanut gallery sit back and accept this as a perceived authority that can evolve into unchecked religious dictatorship with delusions of theocracy.

And MYSTIC is correct as often when he points out that the Christianity we see in America today is so far removed from what Christianity originally was, even far different from what it is in Europe (As I discovered firsthand) and bares resemblance in name only to orthodox schools, that perhaps it needs to be placed into a category of it's own.

I should also say that American Christianity has shown itself to be potentially very toxic more times than not, certainly with a much more potent Ld (Lethal dose) than European versions and such that Orthodox Christianity may be harmless by comparison and also be unrecognizable to American Fundies .......

Old 10-24-2023, 05:12 PM

540 posts, read 393,513 times
[quote=compwiz02;65822902]For Christians:

Do you believe the disciples of Jesus were real people? If so, what evidence convinces you that they were real people?

I do. There is some historical record of Jesus and followers, minimal records by historians

Who wrote the bible?

A whole bunch of different people

Why us? Our universe is constantly expanding and we have no idea what is out there. High probability that we are not the only "beings" that exist in the universe. Why did God choose Earth for Jesus to live on? Do you believe God came down as a human being on other planets as well?

I wonder many of the same things about the universe.

Maybe?

What convinces you that there is an afterlife aside from what the bible says?

I'm not convinced. I don't really know what an after life is about. It's not something I think about.

What if you're wrong about God?

Then I'm wrong. I think though the message of forgiveness, caring for your fellow man, doing unto others as you would do to yourself, and the awe and wonder of this world are cool things that give our time on earth purpose and meaning.

If you are part of a denomination, what convinced you to choose that denomination and not others?

There are many different denominations or religions that I could be a part of. I participate in a United Methodist Church. What I really like about their overall philosophy is that they have a quadrilateral that they look at -- tradition, scripture, experience, and reason. That means the way we look at religion is not static. Our experience and reason contributes to how we make sense of the world around us and religion.

What convinces you that Christianity is the "right" religion and not other religions?

I don't believe in just one path.

Do you believe that God is responsible for everything? eg: if you are approved for a house, you should show grace and be thankful to God.

I like to think their is some self-determination. Being thankful and showing grace if you can muster up these things in your own life will help you be a happier person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality