Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 03:24 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Good Points Mike

FIrst, remember that the Catholic church, since the beginning, has led by example in regards to charity and welfare. TOday,, the Mormons brag about having the best welfare system, but I know for a fact that catholic churches all over America operate shelters, food kitchens, pnatries. Throughout the dark ages, it was the cathollic church that heped the impoverished and the catholic church today stll operates numerous charities. So yes, the church has great wealth, great architecture, and great social assistance. Like any other human institution, it has it's share of problems, as does any religious order. But perfection exists only as a personal construct, and there will be people who will complain about anything and everything....OH WAH WAH HE got his and I did not get mine WAAAAHHH I no longer begrudge or hold jealousy of those who have more wealth than I have, as I did when I was a younger cat. Instead, I am thankful for what I have and try to responsbly take care of that which I have earned and received.

Just ignore them, do your job (Yes we have both) and move on. Help those you can and start by being a good example at home. THere to remind everyone that the Saints were human too, and were real, and I always laugh at people who accused Catholics of worshipping Saints. (one hears al sorts of false information and propoganda growing up in the baptist church, a closer inspection shows it not to have any fact behind it.) Respect and emulation are not worship. I admire the metal band Ghost, but I do not worship them.

Numerous cathedrals had glass cases with deceased saints on display One had a metal hand witha partial bone on display. Many claimed to have partian remains, such as of St Peter, in a box. Whether or not these are authentic is not as much a question as to how peole find inspiration from them. If someone finds a sense of growth and improvement, a sense of inspiration to lead a better life , then let them.

I agree and disagree. SInce I do not believe that a god exists, I believe it is up to humanity to find ways to turn stones into bread.
BUT here is the pyramid

SOme place another point "Transcendence" over self actualization, but we cannot achieve the top until basic goals are met. SOme choose religious social groups to meet lower needs, some of us introverts have a very small need for social interaction. Everyne is differnt, so specific needs will vary to each individual, but the pyramid still remains the same. SInce I need no "salvation' but do need self-actuaization, my point is to be the best that i can be, no deity neded.

Transcendence refers to existence beyond the normal material or physical leverl. Which goes back to creativity and aesthetics, which is a very abstract area of thinking, and some do not understand it or venture into it. (I have several books if anyone wants to start) BUT That is my cat definition, may not work for you as it does for me, that is simply how I do what I know to be that expression.

I made a comment once years ago that did not come accross apparently as intended. (Seems to be a lot of that here)
I will not take time to go into a pole-barn church or a strip mall church (Or a strip club either). None of those hold any interest for me. I will walk into an open cathedral and look around, at the architecture, art, beauty. IF I attend a religious service, I want something that is akin to a work of art, which was why I was so excited to get to attend a Latin Mass in St Peter's.

Some have asked about the meaning behind it. I answer with asking if you would enjoy viewing paintings in a museumfrom the Renaissance which depicts themes of greek mythology? Or enjoy a Wagner Opera from the Ring series? Or listen to gregorian chants? All of these are artistic expressions of mythology, and done well.

I see no aesthetics in spending an hour in plain building listening to mythology which fails to inspire me. And my expeience has long been that people who prefer those settings generally lack an appreciation for aestheticism, or often, even any knowledge of it.

IF I were in a cathedral, and wanted to speakn to someone about how beautiful it is, and how the architecture is so nice, chances are that anyone else who chooses to be there might agree. And from that, perhaps, a conversation about truth, beauty, life and inspiration. HOwever, when I have told people in a plain church, like a COC or baptist church how much I love cathedral architecture, I get an earful of everything ranging from how/why?to you're "going to burn in hell"

Which is again, to each their own. Or as Marx would say each according to his means and abilities......

Which is why I have friends with whom I sometimes gather at an Episocopal church on Sundays, they too accept and see the inherant beauty of the high church tradition, which is inspiring through it's aesthetic beauty. The sense of creativity and expressiveness of the music, candles, incense, and chanting for me, brings about a sense of peace and creativity, which inspires me to do great things. I have never ever encountered that at a plain, non liturgical n church.
Nice to see someone refer to Maslow's heirarchy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 03:25 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... well good luck with that ;-)
Inspired me with a new saying when I find someone annoying: 'Go eat rocks'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality