Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 03:51 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
First like any person I communicate with;
What re your goals?
What are you looking for?
Do you have a concept of an eternal creator?

Obviously, their culture and ours are likely to be very different.
Likely they will look at our culture as very immature by comparison.
To the bolded above.....excellent assessment. If in fact there were aliens, I believe they would be laughing and shaking their heads. If they have heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 06:11 AM

30 posts, read 21,606 times
So an inferior human race is going to have to explain to a superior alien race about God.Does God only focus on earth and leaves the rest of the universe alone .Who says they need saving.If God works here he also works there why would you doubt that.If there is other life in the Universe God was there just as he was here.Humans have a very selfcentered view of themselves.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:17 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,029,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Lol, religion is completely incompatible with the discovery of alien life. I don't know what you guys are talking about. (But it's not like it's going to matter, since everything else we've discovered is incompatible with religion, too, and that hasn't stopped them.)

The aliens thousands of light years away have obviously not accepted Christ, so they're going to hell, according to at least some of the people at City Data. The arrogance in general of thinking that other people are going to "hell", to suffer for eternity, including all the non-Christians... I can't even fathom such a sad, small world view. The total arrogance that would be required of thinking that your myths apply to other cultures, or potentially other intelligent species.

But what if there were intelligent beings somewhere way out there, even far more intelligent than us, and they existed and lived and died out, before planet Earth was even formed? God created them, too, I guess? He created all life and the whole universe, according to religious people. On which day did God create them, I wonder? Lol.
Why do you think this? There is nothing in the Bible that states that there cant be aliens.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:29 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Starr View Post
So an inferior human race is going to have to explain to a superior alien race about God.Does God only focus on earth and leaves the rest of the universe alone .Who says they need saving.If God works here he also works there why would you doubt that.If there is other life in the Universe God was there just as he was here.Humans have a very selfcentered view of themselves.
I posted this on page 2, post #18. You gotta watch this, it is right in line with what you are saying. And it's funny. Oh and, are you not human? Cause.....that would make you an alien. And if you are human, you would be considered self-centered as well. Just like the rest of us humans.

In conclusion.......there is no god so no worries about explaining that to aliens.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:53 AM

30 posts, read 21,606 times
Maybe the Aliens will suprise you when they come .You put a lot of stock in what you can only see and touch.I will make a perdiction that in the future science will start believing the dark matter universe is the spiritual realm its makes up 28 % of the universe compared to the tiny 4.9 % regular matter makes up.Spirits will be dark energy it only makes sense it the most common energy in the universe.Both are completely undetectable.No they have never detected it they have only seen the gravitational effect of it on regular matter.The milkyway is thought to be 95 % dark matter.Its in the room with you right now you just can't interact with it.You can pass through it and it can pass through you and does if science is right.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:21 PM

412 posts, read 138,787 times
Quote:
Maybe the Aliens will suprise you when they come .You put a lot of stock in what you can only see and touch.I will make a perdiction that in the future science will start believing the dark matter universe is the spiritual realm its makes up 28 % of the universe compared to the tiny 4.9 % regular matter makes up.Spirits will be dark energy it only makes sense it the most common energy in the universe.Both are completely undetectable.No they have never detected it they have only seen the gravitational effect of it on regular matter.The milkyway is thought to be 95 % dark matter.Its in the room with you right now you just can't interact with it.You can pass through it and it can pass through you and does if science is right.
Thank you so much for enlightening me. I was under the impression that dark matter existed only in outer space. Your insights have provided me with a new avenue to explore beyond this forum.

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2023, 12:32 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,285,538 times
Quote:
"We don't currently know, therefore spiritual realm". Yeah, got it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

Nothing in there about a "spiritual realm". And 'dark energy' may not even exist, or may be something else. All we know right now is that, without introducing a new form of energy, within our understanding we don't currently have a way to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:54 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,285,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Why do you think this? There is nothing in the Bible that states that there cant be aliens.
Maybe not, but I think if intelligent, sentient aliens came to visit us, that would pretty demoralizing for the claims of Christianity and probably for a lot of Christians.

For example, let's say that beings come to visit us next year, from another part of the galaxy, and they are hundreds of times more intelligent and learned about the universe than we are. Their science and technology blows us out of the water. Einstein is like a child's book to them. They have a full unified understanding of quantum physics, and may even have an idea of what happened before the big bang, and etc.

Also, they inform us that they've been around for hundreds of millions of our Earth years. They've visited and settled on thousands of habitable planets across the galaxy. They have been aware about us and observed us over the course of our evolution since we were primitive apes, but they have not interfered with anything.

They have no war or violence or conflict. They live in an awesome harmony and peace together in a highly developed and sophisticated society, for individual lifetimes of over a thousand years.

And they've never even heard of God, or Jesus. Or Muhammad or Buddha or any of the other religions that we have. They have their own, unrelated spirituality and traditions which predates our entire species.

How would Christians react to that? They'd look down at their Bible, which is all about God's relationship with humans, and about how God created the universe and the Earth and blah blah, all centric to us and our one planet.

I know some of the beyond arrogant Baptist Fundie types would probably think that is their duty to now spread Jesus to these beings that are far more advanced than us, and who may even have photographic evidence of our species' evolution from earlier forms of life on Earth.

Imagine this species was benevolent and here to help us and help guide us along in our long term journey to the stars... the pure arrogance it would take, to try to teach them about some Earth religion, or the thought that said myths of ours would apply to them. To tell them that Jesus walked on water, when they understand physics far more than we do.

The more humble Christians would probably be like... okay, yeah, turns out all of this was not true.

Either way, the faith as a whole would probably take a big hit. All faiths would. Atheism would grow even more, since we'd no longer be the most intelligent species we know of, and 100% of everyone in the much more intelligent newly discovered species are all atheists.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:58 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,029,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Maybe not, but I think if intelligent, sentient aliens came to visit us, that would pretty demoralizing for the claims of Christianity and probably for a lot of Christians.

For example, let's say that beings come to visit us next year, from another part of the galaxy, and they are hundreds of times more intelligent and learned about the universe than we are. Their science and technology blows us out of the water. Einstein is like a child's book to them. They have a full unified understanding of quantum physics, and may even have an idea of what happened before the big bang, and etc.

Also, they inform us that they've been around for hundreds of millions of our Earth years. They've visited and settled on thousands of habitable planets across the galaxy. They have been aware about us and observed us over the course of our evolution since we were primitive apes, but they have not interfered with anything.

They have no war or violence or conflict. They live in an awesome harmony and peace together in a highly developed and sophisticated society, for individual lifetimes of over a thousand years.

And they've never even heard of God, or Jesus. Or Muhammad or Buddha or any of the other religions that we have. They have their own, unrelated spirituality and traditions which predates our entire species.

How would Christians react to that? They'd look down at their Bible, which is all about God's relationship with humans, and about how God created the universe and the Earth and blah blah, all centric to us and our one planet.

I know some of the beyond arrogant Baptist Fundie types would probably think that is their duty to now spread Jesus to these beings that are far more advanced than us, and who may even have photographic evidence of our species' evolution from earlier forms of life on Earth.

Imagine this species was benevolent and here to help us and help guide us along in our long term journey to the stars... the pure arrogance it would take, to try to teach them about some Earth religion, or the thought that said myths of ours would apply to them. To tell them that Jesus walked on water, when they understand physics far more than we do.

The more humble Christians would probably be like... okay, yeah, turns out all of this was not true.

Either way, the faith as a whole would probably take a big hit. All faiths would. Atheism would grow even more, since we'd no longer be the most intelligent species we know of, and 100% of everyone in the much more intelligent newly discovered species are all atheists.
I dont see why you think that would have anything to do with faith. There is nothing in the Bible that says aliens cannot exist. Just because other speices exist wouldnt mess with religion/faith then it would mess with anyone else. The two arent incompatible.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,223,271 times
I found out this weekend that the Vatican has a space program! I had no idea!

This article is quite old:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-12244279

Quote:
In the same way, the Vatican's senior astronomer has gone on record as saying intelligent beings created by God could exist in outer space, and that alien life does not contradict Church doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality