Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 04:40 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Prophecy is only validated by recognizing and matching subsequent occurrences in the future. It cannot be known ahead of time and interpreted as to any specific time and place.
I was taught this at Bible Institute. Prophecy is only meaningful in retrospect. Which is just a way to apply post hoc interpretations to any passage you please. That's the problem with the notion.

We were also told that prophecy is more "forth-telling" than it is "fore-telling" but this was just another semantic ruse. Why call it prophecy then? Yes there's a sense in which the terms "prophet" and "preacher" are somewhat conflated in usage but that doesn't mean it's legit or clarifying / helpful. Yes, OT prophets did preach, exhort, and chastise -- but they also predicted even while doing so. Predicted for example, divine retribution for willful disobedience and national misbehavior or insufficient fealty to god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 04:53 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
God wrote the Bible. I thought God WAS perfect and that EVERYTHING he did IS perfect.
Who the heck told you THAT?

I know the answer. I just do like to remind everyone that this is a fundamentalist view.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:02 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I know the answer. I just do like to remind everyone that this is a fundamentalist view.
I don't know that I would say that. I was taught in the mainstream Methodist church that god wrote the bible through humans.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Once again, I am amused by your ability to HATE Christianity. I made a post about it before and you defend yourself saying you are just really confident in what you believe. It's as though something terrible happened to you when you were a Christian and you have made it your mission to make Christianity fall.

I'm glad you are extremely confident in your beliefs, Thrillo. But being humble is very important. Don't assume all Christians believe in the same things.

I'm confident because I have studied Christianity, comp and everything I find points to Christianity having plied deceit every step of the way in its quest to stay alive. Search my posts. Point out a single instance I have every told a lie about Christianity. You cannot find one.

Search the OP. When Christians say Jesus was predicted in the OT they are being deceitful,

Mostly out of ignorance because they don't know anything about their religion beyond what their pastors tell them. None of them have studied Christianity, obviously because if they had they'd see immediately that Jesus was NEVER predicted in the OT--it's apologists that are putting these lies into their minds.

Look at Hosea 11:1-2. It CLEARLY says "Israel is my son and I called my son out of Egypt" in reference to the Exodus, not this phony claptrap about Jesus Mary and Joseph hightailing it out of Israel to escape Herod.

Am I lying or am I telling the truth, comp? Yes or no?

Old 04-08-2023, 06:40 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Old 04-08-2023, 06:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 656,696 times
Thrillo thinks he knows everything about Christianity. He spent 60 years of their life as a Christian and says he read a LOT of stuff and finally convinced himself that Jesus is a myth and God doesn't exist. Now Thrillo is on here ranting about Christians and telling everyone what he believes. I mean....kudos to Thrillo. but damn, Thrillo reminds me of those hardcore JWs who go out on the streets with loudspeakers shouting their beliefs of Jesus. Thrillo is online with a loudspeaker trying to make people believe Christians are stupid.

My apologies if Thrillo is a woman in real life. I'm assuming Thrillo is a guy.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:48 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Thrillo thinks he knows everything about Christianity.
You know as well as I do that he has made no such claim and that even if he did, it would be beside his actual point. You don't have to know everything about a thing to make a valid observation about it.

This is just pointless ad hominem. Be better than that.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:52 PM

1,341 posts, read 656,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You know as well as I do that he has made no such claim and that even if he did, it would be beside his actual point. You don't have to know everything about a thing to make a valid observation about it.

This is just pointless ad hominem. Be better than that.
You don't have to claim to be a jerk to actually be a jerk either. I can tell the difference between being confident in what you post and being pompous. A conversation can either be respectful or straight out arrogant with everyone lashing out at each other. I've seen thrillo (as well as other people) in the latter.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:52 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Thrillo thinks he knows everything about Christianity. He spent 60 years of their life as a Christian and says he read a LOT of stuff and finally convinced himself that Jesus is a myth and God doesn't exist. Now Thrillo is on here ranting about Christians and telling everyone what he believes. I mean....kudos to Thrillo. but damn, Thrillo reminds me of those hardcore JWs who go out on the streets with loudspeakers shouting their beliefs of Jesus. Thrillo is online with a loudspeaker trying to make people believe Christians are stupid.

My apologies if Thrillo is a woman in real life. I'm assuming Thrillo is a guy.
You do know that JWs are Non-Trinitarian, and don’t hold Jesus in the same esteem and/or level as the father God, or Jehovah as they like to call him?

Old 04-08-2023, 07:12 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
You don't have to claim to be a jerk to actually be a jerk either. I can tell the difference between being confident in what you post and being pompous. A conversation can either be respectful or straight out arrogant with everyone lashing out at each other. I've seen thrillo (as well as other people) in the latter.

Speaking of pompous...

The Tanakh is a Jewish book and Christians act like the Jews are too stupid to understand the "prophecies"...

Or they claim that Satan is blocking the Jewish scholars from understanding a book that they have studied and scrutinized for thousands of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality