Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:19 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,732 times

Advertisements

LDS Church, investment fund charged with disclosure failures, misstated filings

“The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday charged the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its investment fund with failing to file forms that disclosed its investments...

While failing to file the proper forms, the SEC also found that the Church instead filed forms for "shell companies that obscured the Church's portfolio and misstated Ensign Peak's control over the Church's investment decisions”… Ensign Peak created 13 shell companies to file the proper forms instead of using its own name.

“…the LDS Church’s investment manager, with the Church’s knowledge, went to great lengths to avoid disclosing the Church’s investments, depriving the Commission and the investing public of accurate market information,” said Gurbir S. Grewal, Director of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...stated-filings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 10:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
"tAx ThE cHuRcHeS!!!!!"

Old 02-22-2023, 11:00 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
My job existed because wherever there is money, there are people trying to figure out ways to take it for themselves, whether that be in government, business, or religion. Nothing new under the sun.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:12 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
That stinks.

I agree with Mightyqueen's thought above. People who want to grab money will find a way. They'll find their niche and exploit it, no matter what that niche is.

If there were no Mormon churche they'd figure out another way. But I am glad this was discovered. This is unfortunately why we really need to watchdog any major institution. Somebody is going to try to get away with something at one time or another.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:48 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"tAx ThE cHuRcHeS!!!!!"
If you try to use religious institutions as tax shelters, absolutely.

But I don’t hold religious institutions to different ethical standards than other nonprofit organizations or think that these organizations should be taxed across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That stinks.

I agree with Mightyqueen's thought above. People who want to grab money will find a way. They'll find their niche and exploit it, no matter what that niche is.

If there were no Mormon churche they'd figure out another way. But I am glad this was discovered. This is unfortunately why we really need to watchdog any major institution. Somebody is going to try to get away with something at one time or another.
My LDS-raised grandmother-in-law converted to Catholicism when she married my late grandfather-in-law. There’s no love lost between her and the Mormon Church, in part because of things like this. And yet, she turns a blind eye when similar misdeeds are uncovered within the Roman Catholic hierarchy.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:16 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
"tAx ThE cHuRcHeS!!!!!"
Only the ones that are cults.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:20 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
"tAx ThE cHuRcHeS!!!!!"
Random caps. Wow. You were on the debate team, weren't you?

I have to pay for bridges, the police, snowplowing. The local businesses have to pay for those things. Why shouldn't the churches?

Because they would rather spend their money on a fancy new building despite the fact the current one is perfectly serviceable? Because Joel Osteen needs a new Gulfstream V? Because they need all that extra cash to pay for their creative tax attorneys to arrange and hide (and now, defend) their illegal financial machinations?

Tax exemption should be a thing. And the standard for receiving it should be higher than just saying "We're a church, that's it, we get a free ride!".

Old 02-23-2023, 08:36 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Random caps. Wow. You were on the debate team, weren't you?

I have to pay for bridges, the police, snowplowing. The local businesses have to pay for those things. Why shouldn't the churches?

Because they would rather spend their money on a fancy new building despite the fact the current one is perfectly serviceable?
Cathedral domes covered in gold leaf are essential, don't you know? To properly inspire the congregants.

But, good for the SEC! At least we know our tax dollars are being put to good use there.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:07 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Interesting - I didn't realize 501c3 non-profits could invest in for-profit stocks/ventures!
Looks like the profits on the investments are to be taxed, though.

Nothing new here, whistleblower outted this back in 2019 when there was $100 billion being 'hidden' - https://www.fox13now.com/news/fox-13...-for-oversight

I think this news-release is just the final settlement/slap on the hand.

Hordes of money in the bank/stocks; hordes of food stockpiled in warehouses - LDS seems to be doing pretty well for itself

Old 02-23-2023, 09:14 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Only the ones that are cults.

The problem with that statement is that some of us may think that MANY churches follow cultish behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality