Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 11:05 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes. It's a catch-all term that can be used to legally justify any and all motions for divorce.
And it's real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 11:09 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And it's real.
It is often the case that one or more parties in a marriage is unwilling to reconcile. This is a symptom of a greater problem; namely,

Quote:
that Americans are by and large utterly clueless when it comes to marriage.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It is often the case that one or more parties in a marriage is unwilling to reconcile. This is a symptom of a greater problem; namely,
I'm so glad I'm divorced...from catholicism.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
I'm so glad I'm divorced...from catholicism.
What does THAT have to do with this thread?

Old 02-16-2023, 11:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Great point. And people that are willing to just give up that easily miss out on so much. I've been married 25 years. I can honestly say I'm much much closer to my wife than I ever thought possible. Marriage really is worth it.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:43 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Courtship was the time during which the MANY issues of compatibility were ironed out WITHOUT engaging in sexual congress. Sad that it ceased to be a factor in choosing a marriage partner. My wife and I courted for 6 years before making the commitment. EscalaMike is a firm believer in MATRIMONY (not mere marriage) with procreation as the purpose and householder status as the goal which mirrors your concept of Divinity as the witness.
Sexuality and sex is not sin. But one can get addicted to it like anything else such as drugs and alcohol. It is the addiction that is the problem that drives the actions that cause misery.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:05 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Do you view an overwhelming number of failed marriages as being beneficial to society at large?
Quote:
I don't think that's as easy to answer as you apparently do. I think of all those parents who stay together "for the sake of the children" who then have to live in a house of disharmony.
The actual problem resides in the selection process that is actually aptly described by the phrase "falling in love." While it is a powerful emotional experience that produces strong attraction, it is a pernicious and unreliable method of choosing a "life partner," especially when it is prompted primarily by superficial physical and sexual characteristics. The abandonment of a courting period (years) almost guarantees the failure to detect incompatibilities, IMO.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The actual problem resides in the selection process that is actually aptly described by the phrase "falling in love." While it is a powerful emotional experience that produces strong attraction, it is a pernicious and unreliable method of choosing a "life partner," especially when it is prompted primarily by superficial physical and sexual characteristics. The abandonment of a courting period (years) almost guarantees the failure to detect incompatibilities, IMO.
Living together in an "un-marriage" would also detect incompatibilities.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well said

Old 02-16-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Living together in an "un-marriage" would also detect incompatibilities.
along with introducing the possibility for all kinds of additional complications and/or problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality