Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 07:43 AM

50,944 posts, read 24,450,069 times

Advertisements

Another scandal, this time with the christian-based ASLAN International Ministry:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/feds-ar...scam-rcna38754

Since I've been asked to make a point by our local finger-wagger...as discussed in another thread, the christian world needs to clean up its act -- needs to "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye" and actively speak out against this type of lack of morality instead of simply turning a blind eye while critiquing the morality of non-christians.

Last edited by phetaroi; 12-14-2022 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 08:15 AM

22,365 posts, read 19,288,324 times
What are you trying to say? Put forth a topic in your own words so people know what the discussion is. Some of the best advice on CD was recently put forth: " Say what you have to say. Support your arguments with links or videos, but make your point assuming nobody watches it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you see a video without any explanation or commentary as to what the video is about, REPORT IT. Members should not be posting videos alone without any indication as to the topic being put forth for discussion. Moderators cannot read every post. If you see videos posted without comment, report it so that it comes to the mods' attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I agree with elnina and Mightyqueen801. I don't have time to watch videos. Say what you have to say. Support your arguments with links and/or videos, but make your point assuming nobody watches it. If you don't make your point, somebody will probably ask you what you are trying to say. I've seen it happen twice in the past few days in the History forum.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
What are you trying to say? Put forth a topic in your own words so people know what the discussion is. Some of the best advice on CD was recently put forth: " Say what you have to say. Support your arguments with links or videos, but make your point assuming nobody watches it."
done

Old 12-14-2022, 01:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,054,226 times
I have routinely made a point to condemn this kind of stuff when I see it. No Christian I know of would approve of it. Not sure what more you'd have us do.

Old 12-14-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I have routinely made a point to condemn this kind of stuff when I see it. No Christian I know of would approve of it. Not sure what more you'd have us do.
What does that mean?

Old 12-14-2022, 03:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,916,235 times
Quote:
Speak up!

I don't care what it's about, but when the law-breaking minority take the spotlight, the good people need to speak up and say,"This isn't right!" By never saying anything (although I realize you personally do - this is addressed to everyone), you are giving your tacit approval to what happened and basically you're encouraging others to think this sort of behavior by Christians is OK.

I have a picture of a podium with cobwebs on it and a caption that says, "The moderate Islamic response to terrorism." This picture could just as easily be an empty church with cobwebs and Islamic could be changed to Christian.

After a scandal or an outrageous act by a priest, or a religious group or a pastor, the answer is always, "Well, that's not what Christianity is about." You know what? I would never know that because so many Christians remain silent when stories of abuse and theft in the church, and inciting murder, and other despicable things are preached at the pulpit.

It's like mothers who get upset because people think all mothers are inane idiots who let their kids run wild. If you are a good mother, the only way to change that mindset is to speak up to the mothers whose kids are causing the problems. You have to police your own.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Speak up!

I don't care what it's about, but when the law-breaking minority take the spotlight, the good people need to speak up and say,"This isn't right!" By never saying anything (although I realize you personally do - this is addressed to everyone), you are giving your tacit approval to what happened and basically you're encouraging others to think this sort of behavior by Christians is OK.

I have a picture of a podium with cobwebs on it and a caption that says, "The moderate Islamic response to terrorism." This picture could just as easily be an empty church with cobwebs and Islamic could be changed to Christian.

After a scandal or an outrageous act by a priest, or a religious group or a pastor, the answer is always, "Well, that's not what Christianity is about." You know what? I would never know that because so many Christians remain silent when stories of abuse and theft in the church, and inciting murder, and other despicable things are preached at the pulpit.

It's like mothers who get upset because people think all mothers are inane idiots who let their kids run wild. If you are a good mother, the only way to change that mindset is to speak up to the mothers whose kids are causing the problems. You have to police your own.
Well written, and my point exactly.

It's very much like the uncomfortable situation we in the school system (I was a principal) had to face every once in a while. A teacher would come in and say that they thought a student was being abused (either emotionally, physically, or sexually). And I'd tell them they MUST report their suspicion to Child Protective Services. "Oh, I don't want to get involved". Even if it had not been a legal mandate, they should have gotten involved.

I don't care if christians (or members of any other belief system) think 'it's' bad. I wanna know what they actually do about it. And this is why many non-mainstream churches with questionable morals and methodology have replaced mainstream churches.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:44 PM

1,003 posts, read 794,533 times
There has always been corruption in organized religion and there always will be. It sad that the apostles so drastically changed the teaching of Jesus. which opened the door for whole new level of corruption and scandals.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,135,313 times
Quote:
Same. It would be offensive for someone to come up with every single scandal that a Buddhist has ever been involved in, denigrate all Buddhists because of them, and keep demanding that all Buddhists condemn them. That would be bigoted and perhaps racist. Not sure why bigotry and stereotyping of any religion is acceptable.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:22 AM

Apparently they're now not speaking in any tongues!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/florida...-con-rcna62018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality