Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

I'm going to stop trying to explain myself to these people that have a problem my existence both here and in the real world and just let it add to the mystique. I may throw in a muwhahaha ye of little faith. That would mean in my world I am calling them low empathy but they don't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 08:49 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Weird Al Yankovic, who became a fairly strict vegetarian around ten years into his career, was once asked why he continues to perform at events like barbecue festivals even though he no longer eats meat.

Al’s response: “The same reason that I continue to perform at colleges, even though I’m no longer a student.”

I think the same sentiment can apply here.

Incidentally, Weird Al is a practicing Christian (what kind, I do not know).
Interesting, and as one who still enjoys visiting my old college campuses and many others, I can relate to this. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:53 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times
For some reason my phone just switched me to airplane mode simply by posting. I had to switch back manually. Since I love the synchronicity game I will say well played Universe, well played.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I don't see all atheists as being absolutely, positively, 100% ALWAYS certain of their decision, ANY MORE than I see believers as being absolutely, positively, 100% ALWAYS certain of their decision.

I once told a priest about my doubts sometimes, half expecting he'd go ballistic at the idea that I sometimes doubted. Imagine my surprise when he chuckled and told me that HE had doubts sometimes, too! He said that it's only human to doubt occasionally. And so, I imagine that while Christians may sometimes doubt, so do atheists. Ain't nuthin' wrong in either case.

Who knows, LM. Sometimes we can hear the same thing, over and over again throughout the years, dismissing what we hear at every turn. But one day, the planets line up, and all of a sudden, the thing we heard suddenly makes sense.

Kind of like, "Where's Waldo?" Seems like as soon as we stop looking for Waldo, THAT'S when we see him!
Thanks Mink...

I am not at all surprised by your priest's reaction, because who doesn't know that it's only human nature to doubt things about a belief in a god? Any priest in denial along those lines hasn't been a priest very long. I suppose it boils down to the degree to which we have doubts. Hard to quantify, but I can honestly say there is no god beyond a reasonable doubt, based on all the learning, evidence, experience and all else I am able to consider along these lines.

Any believers who claim there is a god without a doubt always cite personal feelings or experiences that, needless to say, can't count for what I consider worthy evidence. Always seems to me that people who believe without a doubt and/or with some doubt are believing what they do, because they want to. They want that feeling that believing gives them. Or maybe fear or any of the other influences that can cause people to "believe" what they do without any real solid justification empirically speaking.

As such, I continue to be highly suspect with respect to what they actually believe and/or are afraid to admit they are not sure what to believe. I am not in that category in any case.

I stopped looking for Waldo a long long time ago. I wonder how long before I see him as you suggest. I suspect that it's much like finding Waldo in a "Where's Waldo" book. Much like reading holy books versus other books. What you find or don't find depends largely on what book you CHOOSE to read.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
For me, having never been a believer, it's a curious insight into how other people's mind tick.

And it's healthy to keep an open dialogue with people that have other worldviews and beliefs.
We should all be doing that.
An interest in what makes others tick. Yes, as I think we've agreed upon before...

Were you raised by parents who were not at all religious?

Old 12-01-2022, 09:05 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And I'm the opposite..always believed there was something greater than us...still trying to figure out what though
I read atheist's post to see where they are coming from...tangible, scientific, fact based, etc.

It's curiosity.

That's cool.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Most Atheist are humanist and Humanist are religion in this belief if they engage with other Humanist ..... Even though not all Atheist are humanist..... Where Atheist chose to not believe would say ``just leave me alone I don't what to even hear it ``........ Where Humanist would say ``If God does not exist then why have any religion no one should have any religion``, and link up with other humanist and push their agenda many humanists get together and have leaders to form their belief
I always cringe a bit when someone tries to equate atheism with religion, because they are two very different things and all too often confused as somehow similar or even equals. To be a humanist is no more to be religious either, but all that aside, what interests me is how and why people can believe in a god given all that makes me an atheist instead.

I have long ago been suspect about beliefs held by the majority, because we all know how most people can be wrong about all manner of things, but at the same time I've never been one to dismiss the importance or justification to hold a minority opinion or belief. All the more consideration is justified when one finds themselves following the lesser beaten path.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And I'm the opposite..always believed there was something greater than us...still trying to figure out what though
I read atheist's post to see where they are coming from...tangible, scientific, fact based, etc.

It's curiosity.
I used to believe there was a god. No doubt it can make a big difference how we start out, and no doubt it was curiosity at a minimum that had me looking for answers as to what it was, or "heaven forbid" whether I should be believing in a god to begin with...

I read where anyone is coming from to learn whatever might cause me to doubt my reasons for being an atheist.

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-01-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I thought we came to this forum when we wanted to argue. (Evil grin)

Seriously, I would say because it is fascinating to realize what it is some people believe. It mostly goes back to what we are taught as children.

I don't think going to church and being religious makes a person good anymore than being an atheist makes a person bad. I've known good christians and bad ones. What I don't understand is how they can put up with such bad behavior in the people they vote for. Why they don't look at how they behave. I am not a big liberal, either. I just want people to be decent. I don't care who they pray to. Sorry for dragging in politics. It's usually a subject I avoid because no one changes their mind and arguing is pointless.
Exactly as my "Cement Theory" suggests as well...

Old 12-01-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why wouldn't/shouldn't the Atheist Religion adherents be on this forum?
In fact...they fervently preach the virtues of their views (and how it is The Superior View, relative to other Beliefs) and proselytize with the best of them.
The depth of their convictions, their prolific pontification, and the endurance of their evangelizing is impressive.
They certainly belong here.
Certainly gives people like you an opportunity to describe atheists in the most negative manner you know how, but fortunately there are others not so heavily bent upon doing the same sort of thing, over and over and over again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality