Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 04:23 PM

344 posts, read 144,309 times

Advertisements

Im looking for adepts in the Ancient mystery religions. I know you exist and visit these forums. Lets open a discussion on them. You know exactly what I am talking about. The religion which considers Lucifer as the Good God and Jehovah as the evil one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:08 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
curious usage of the word "adept" to refer to in relation to religion.
adept has connotations of magic.

while adept can indicate mastery or a high level of accomplishment, typically those with mastery or recognized abilities in a religion are called "sages" or "masters" or "enlightened ones" or "disciples" or "apostles" or "clergy" "chaplain" "monk" "ordained"

it sounds like the opening post has something specific in mind, but is using veiled references and inuendo and keeping it shrouded in mystery. For the "open discussion" asked for in the opening post, how about being more clear and less secretive so readers know what is being referred to.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-14-2022 at 06:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 06:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
https://youtu.be/i4njPe2_rho

Old 11-18-2022, 09:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Im looking for adepts in the Ancient mystery religions. I know you exist and visit these forums. Lets open a discussion on them. You know exactly what I am talking about. The religion which considers Lucifer as the Good God and Jehovah as the evil one.
There's no such "ancient mystery religion" like that.

If you're referring to the Book of Job, the Hebrews did not write that. Since Terah was the chief priest for the god Ninurta in the city of Ur, and Abram/Abraham was a priest-in-training (since the position was hereditary) he would have had access to ancient text -which I would point out has 32 Sumerian and Akkadian loanwords -- and may have brought it to Canaan with him.

But, the evidence shows it mostly likely came from the Sumerians via the Assyrians sometime in the 6th Century.

Even though x-tians fantasize that satan is a person it is not a proper noun and it means "accuser." Thus far, no one has been able to link "the accuser" with any other deity so there's no telling who it might be. The hands-down favorite is the deity Zu.en who was later executed.

The word "Lucifier" never appears in Codex Leningradis or Codex Aleppo.

Lucifer is purely an Imperial Roman Catholic Church fantasy and appears only in the Latin Vulgate and other bad translations copied from the Latin Vulgate.

The Hebrew texts render it as "morning star" which is the planet Venus and was always depicted as a 6-pointed star associated with Ianna (aka Ishtar and others) who was a female deity.

If you are inexplicably attempting to equate Lucifer with the Serpent in the Garden of Eden, that deity was Enki the serpent god who, along with his son Ningishiddza and half-sister Ninhursag, created humans.

Likewise, Ningishiddza, the son of Enki, was a serpent god and his son was Mekizide.

You might recall reading about Melkizidek being the priest-governor of Jerusalem. That name translates as "the anointed of Mekizide."

Yahweh could very well be a pseudonym for Mekizide who would seriously wanna keep his doings hidden from the other gods, including uncle Marduk and Marduk's son cousin Nabu, not to mention he'd want to avoid the wrath of Ninurta and Adad.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:20 PM

995 posts, read 783,847 times
4. The Mystery Cults
98:4.1 (1081.4) The majority of people in the Greco-Roman world, having lost their primitive family and state religions and being unable or unwilling to grasp the meaning of Greek philosophy, turned their attention to the spectacular and emotional mystery cults from Egypt and the Levant. The common people craved promises of salvation—religious consolation for today and assurances of hope for immortality after death.

98:4.2 (1081.5) The three mystery cults which became most popular were:

98:4.3 (1081.6) 1. The Phrygian cult of Cybele and her son Attis.

98:4.4 (1081.7) 2. The Egyptian cult of Osiris and his mother Isis.

98:4.5 (1081.8) 3. The Iranian cult of the worship of Mithras as the savior and redeemer of sinful mankind.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...gs-in-occident

Old 11-24-2022, 12:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
4. The Mystery Cults
98:4.1 (1081.4) The majority of people in the Greco-Roman world, having lost their primitive family and state religions and being unable or unwilling to grasp the meaning of Greek philosophy, turned their attention to the spectacular and emotional mystery cults from Egypt and the Levant. The common people craved promises of salvation—religious consolation for today and assurances of hope for immortality after death.

98:4.2 (1081.5) The three mystery cults which became most popular were:

98:4.3 (1081.6) 1. The Phrygian cult of Cybele and her son Attis.

98:4.4 (1081.7) 2. The Egyptian cult of Osiris and his mother Isis.

98:4.5 (1081.8) 3. The Iranian cult of the worship of Mithras as the savior and redeemer of sinful mankind.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...gs-in-occident

Reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Thomas Paines Age of Reason:

"It is, however, not difficult to account for the credit that was given to the story of Jesus Christ being the son of God. He was born when the heathen mythology had still some fashion and repute in the world, and that mythology had prepared the people for the belief of such a story. Almost all the extraordinary men that lived under the heathen mythology were reputed to be the sons of some of their gods. It was not a new thing, at that time, to believe a man to have been celestially begotten; the intercourse of gods with women was then a matter of familiar opinion. Their Jupiter, according to their accounts, had cohabited with hundreds: the story, therefore, had nothing in it either new, wonderful, or obscene; it was conformable to the opinions that then prevailed among the people called Gentiles, or Mythologists, and it was those people only that believed it. The Jews who had kept strictly to the belief of one God, and no more, and who had always rejected the heathen mythology, never credited the story.

It is curious to observe how the theory of what is called the Christian church sprung out of the tail of the heathen mythology. A direct incorporation took place in the first instance, by making the reputed founder to be celestially begotten. The trinity of gods that then followed was no other than a reduction of the former plurality, which was about twenty or thirty thousand: the statue of Mary succeeded the statue of Diana of Ephesus; the deification of heroes changed into the canonization of saints; the Mythologists had gods for everything; the Christian Mythologists had saints for everything; the church became as crowded with one, as the Pantheon had been with the other, and Rome was the place of both. The Christian theory is little else than the idolatry of the ancient Mythologists,
"

https://www.ushistory.org/Paine/reason/reason2.htm

Old 11-25-2022, 08:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Thomas Paines Age of Reason:

[…]

https://www.ushistory.org/Paine/reason/reason2.htm
I like this bit from Chesterton…

Quote:
Let me set about making the matter clear. There is one broad fact about the relations of Christianity and Paganism which is so simple that many will smile at it, but which is so important that all moderns forget it. The primary fact about Christianity and Paganism is that one came after the other. Mr. Lowes Dickinson speaks of them as if they were parallel ideals --even speaks as if Paganism were the newer of the two, and the more fitted for a new age. He suggests that the Pagan ideal will be the ultimate good of man; but if that is so, we must at least ask with more curiosity than he allows for, why it was that man actually found his ultimate good on earth under the stars, and threw it away again. It is this extraordinary enigma to which I propose to attempt an answer.

There is only one thing in the modern world that has been face to face with Paganism; there is only one thing in the modern world which in that sense knows anything about Paganism: and that is Christianity. That fact is really the weak point in the whole of that hedonistic neo-Paganism of which I have spoken. All that genuinely remains of the ancient hymns or the ancient dances of Europe, all that has honestly come to us from the festivals of Phoebus or Pan, is to be found in the festivals of the Christian Church. If any one wants to hold the end of a chain which really goes back to the heathen mysteries, he had better take hold of a festoon of flowers at Easter or a string of sausages at Christmas. Everything else in the modern world is of Christian origin, even everything that seems most anti-Christian. The French Revolution is of Christian origin. The newspaper is of Christian origin. The anarchists are of Christian origin. Physical science is of Christian origin. The attack on Christianity is of Christian origin. There is one thing, and one thing only, in existence at the present day which can in any sense accurately be said to be of pagan origin, and that is Christianity.

Heretics by Gilbert Keith Chesterton: Ch. 12: Paganism and Mr. Lowes Dickinson

Old 11-26-2022, 03:47 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I like this bit from Chesterton…
A good reason to ignore Chesterton if he thinks everything modern comes from Christianity.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:55 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
A good reason to ignore Chesterton if he thinks everything modern comes from Christianity.
I can certainly question it. While the West and its' colonial offshoots can trace much back to Christian Rome, some other stuff can be traced back to Pagan Rome or Greece. Why, the image of God on his throne, crowned with thunder and armed with lightning, is just borrowed from Zeus. The French revolution (as wellas the US Constitution) was based more on Pagan social debate and Roman popular dissent than on anything from "Slaves,obey your masters" Christianity.

Bottom line, quotes, even from famous names, are not authoritative; all is open to question.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Why? You know that in the end God wins, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality