Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not about simple replies; rather, per the thread, my point is relative to anger/personal battles and viewing oneself as a victim (per Mordant, above) if one ‘passively accepts’ another’s view or judgment (or they perceive it as a demand, for that matter). In other words, a psychologically healthy person will not be affected i.e. they do accept others’ beliefs (no matter how nonsensical or wrong they may be); in fact, they are able to laugh-it-off or simply address it matter-of-factly vs. aggressively posturing to defend one’s ego. Key point being, they know what others think has no relevance to their life/happiness/wellness. Regarding (psychological) health, it is necessary to distinguish that which matters (as a society and relative to law or personal safety) vs. individual belief/opinion (and how anger affects health relative to such, per the thread).

My ‘bottom line’ or point being, atheism is not the problem relative to the thread i.e. we simply don’t believe in the existence of any gods. As such, atheism can’t be blamed for a lack of compassion, morality, (psychological) health or anything else, for that matter. Much of health is relative to genetics anyway; and it certainly is no secret uncontrolled/unresolved anger can have long-term physical and emotional effects on one’s health (and life), no matter what they believe in or not.
Ah. Thanks then for the summation. Your bottom line. Not sure who needs this pointed out to them, but then again I might have missed who claimed atheism is to blame for a lack of all that and why...

If there is any confusion on anyone's part about any of that, perhaps best to consider the many reasons someone may have a lack of compassion, morality, health or whatever. That and/or the many reasons a person can have compassion, morality, health or you name it.

Anyone who thinks atheism or atheists are the cause either way doesn't know much about what it is to be human. Doesn't know much period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 03:00 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But many people lack the social support they require and even pay an overt price for being an atheist, even one that is no firebrand but simply doesn't conform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We tend to be introverted, heady, and distinctly not "joiners" because those characteristics make our survival easier. In a more accommodating world I would expect our demographics and our mental health to be more roughly similar to anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure who needs this pointed out to them, but then again I might have missed who claimed atheism is to blame for a lack of all that and why...
Several posts (and the thread title in and of itself) appears to suggest there are reasons our mental health (and personalities) are affected by our atheism when, in fact, it’s anger/perception relative to such that may (often) be the culprit.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:01 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Harry's rulebook: 1.) Try to make it personal when all else fails.
No, that is your thing. I actually use evidence.

And we have plenty of evidence for theists posting studies (genuine and false) without actually reading them.

And before you get snarky again, no, I too have not read the linked article, I had problems downloading it. But I did read the parts Cruithne quoted, which suggests you either never read the paper yourself, you did not understand some of the relevant parts, or you merely skimmed it.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:22 AM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, that is your thing. I actually use evidence.

And we have plenty of evidence for theists posting studies (genuine and false) without actually reading them.

And before you get snarky again, no, I too have not read the linked article, I had problems downloading it. But I did read the parts Cruithne quoted, which suggests you either never read the paper yourself, you did not understand some of the relevant parts, or you merely skimmed it.
This will be my last response to you.
I did not start this thread; it was started by a moderator. My point in the original thread was about physical health. I did not address the mental portion of the study because it was not the point I was making, and it is obviously a hot-button issue. After you have read the study, you can forward your anger toward the authors/researchers of the peer-reviewed study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality