Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 12:04 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you mean the whole bible, I think few.
I meant enough of the Bible, because there are parts of the Bible that are difficult to wade through for anyone, and most don't bother with those parts...

I meant those having read enough to know the main story, precepts, characters. Or had much of the Bible read to them by someone else. I'd say most have at least cracked open the Bible to get a sense of what it's about. That and/or read the abbreviated versions. I know I have done all the above on many an occasion once upon a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 12:38 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I meant enough of the Bible, because there are parts of the Bible that are difficult to wade through for anyone, and most don't bother with those parts...

I meant those having read enough to know the main story, precepts, characters. Or had much of the Bible read to them by someone else. I'd say most have at least cracked open the Bible to get a sense of what it's about. That and/or read the abbreviated versions. I know I have done all the above on many an occasion once upon a time.
I guess I can only compare it to myself and the Quran. I got about halfway through that as a favor to my adopted son. He didn't return the favor with Buddhist scriptures.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:24 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
If you mean the whole bible, I think few.
Really? I think most who have belonged to a church have read it, or heard it.

I could be wrong. I see a lot of people on Jeopardy miss what I think are obvious answers when there are Bible categories.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:10 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I could be wrong. I see a lot of people on Jeopardy miss what I think are obvious answers when there are Bible categories.
No, I am talking about reading the bible cover to cover. And I think it's few. I think most rely on the minister or priest to talk about the most important texts. Oh wait, most don't go to church anymore, either, on a regular basis. Oops.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
No, I am talking about reading the bible cover to cover. And I think it's few. I think most rely on the minister or priest to talk about the most important texts. Oh wait, most don't go to church anymore, either, on a regular basis. Oops.
Hmm then. Interesting question.

Most churches have Bible studies where the Bible would be read cover to cover over a period of time, but not everyone attends those. Some read on their own.

I probably read it twice through by the time I was 13 or so, but I did not read the whole thing again until I took the EFM course through the Episcopal Church in my 50s. It is four years, meeting once a week, summers off. Year 1 is OT, Year 2 is NT, both with accompanying study books giving historical context, commentary, exploration of possible authorship, etc. It is not a study that fundamentalists would find comfortable. I learned a lot, though.

Then you have the people who over-study the Bible, who can no longer have a conversation with quoting verses, who see everything through the prism of what they read in the Bible. Their conversations and perceptions become very limited.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I guess I can only compare it to myself and the Quran. I got about halfway through that as a favor to my adopted son. He didn't return the favor with Buddhist scriptures.
To what extent any book should be read is an interesting question in and of itself...

I'll never forget reading about how a professor at Stanford used to assign to his students 10 times the reading anyone could do before finals. The idea was to teach what to read and what not to read in order to learn what was most important from all there was to read.

That lesson has always stuck with me, and I think it applies to reading holy books too. I read the Quran as well, perhaps only to the extent or in the same way I read the Bible, though only once the Quran. Not all of it, but enough far as I was concerned. The Book of Mormon too, among others.

Others will always find deep meaning (and the time) to read more into what there is to read, and sometimes I do the same depending on what I'm reading, but ultimately there is only so much time and far too much for any one person to read in a lifetime. So I try to apply the lesson the Stanford professor attempted to pass along, with hopes I retain what's worth retaining and not waste too much time on the rest.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Do the other holy books get equal time as categories? "Double Jeopardy!"

When the kids were young, we used to watch Jeopardy together and to keep score we used our fingers. If you were first to get the answer right, you held up a finger. If you got the answer wrong, you brought a finger down. First to have all four fingers and one thumb up won. I don't watch the show anymore, but I remember it was always fun to do so back when I did.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Do the other holy books get equal time as categories? "Double Jeopardy!"

When the kids were young, we used to watch Jeopardy together and to keep score we used our fingers. If you were first to get the answer right, you held up a finger. If you got the answer wrong, you brought a finger down. First to have all four fingers and one thumb up won. I don't watch the show anymore, but I remember it was always fun to do so back when I did.
No! I have noticed that. I guess Bible knowledge is considered so widespread culturally that they often include it in categories, but you never see a Quran category, for example.

When I used to meet my now-exh at his friend's bar after work back in the day, everyone would toss in a buck for Final Jeopardy. The bartender would hand out slips of paper and pens. I won a lot.

I still like to watch, but if there is a sporting event on at the same time, I don't get to. Can sometimes catch it in reruns.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
No! I have noticed that. I guess Bible knowledge is considered so widespread culturally that they often include it in categories, but you never see a Quran category, for example.

When I used to meet my now-exh at his friend's bar after work back in the day, everyone would toss in a buck for Final Jeopardy. The bartender would hand out slips of paper and pens. I won a lot.

I still like to watch, but if there is a sporting event on at the same time, I don't get to. Can sometimes catch it in reruns.
Trivia pursuit night is common at a lot of restaurants and bars around here. All over actually. Wish I/we could make it to more of them, but they usually go on into the night later than we're usually out anymore. Still, we've been able to do a few. Usually with our kids, and they're always a lot of fun. When we're with the kids, it's fun to see how our age differences make such a difference with respect to who gets the answers to which questions. Fun as we play as a team. We used to play a lot of the game "Trivia Pursuit" too, when that was the rage. Now we still play a lot of games when we get together, like one of our current favorites, "Scattergories," but rarely if ever Trivia Pursuit anymore. I win at Scattergories a lot too.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Trivia pursuit night is common at a lot of restaurants and bars around here. All over actually. Wish I/we could make it to more of them, but we've been able to do a few, sometimes with our kids too, and they're always a lot of fun. When we're with the kids, it's fun to see how our age differences make such a difference with respect to who gets the answers to which questions. Fun as we play as a team. We used to play a lot of the game "Trivia Pursuit" too, when that was the rage. Now we still play a lot of games when we get together, like one of our favorites, "Scattergories," but rarely if ever Trivia Pursuit anymore. I win at Scattergories a lot too.
I loved Scattergories! For a time my family, siblings, parents, our kids who were old enough, played every year when we had our big family Christmas party in early January. All of us around the big eight-foot-long table in my mother's kitchen with our pads. Those days are gone forever now, but good memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality