Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 03:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times

Advertisements

rent-free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 03:43 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
Was Abraham real? Moses? Isaac? Jacob?

John the Baptist? Paul?

If nothing else, he is real in your head
They are all questionable at best. Moses in particular, and the whole Exodus, has no archeological attestation at all. Moses was an invented culture hero. Paul? No one speaks of him prior to Marcion, in the mid 2nd century. And Marcion is now considered a heretic.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Sorry, thrill, I thought - This guy thinks about Jesus more than Christians do! LOL
I'm no therapist - but it does make me wonder "Why?". Just sayin...not asking you to answer that.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:54 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Suppose I claim to have personally experienced a visitation of Mickey Mouse? How would you explain that? I mean, everyone knows that someone claiming they experienced something must mean it's veridical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It means you went to Disney World. Next question?
Lmao. This was my favorite part of the thread.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:18 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Sorry, thrill, I thought - This guy thinks about Jesus more than Christians do! LOL
I'm no therapist - but it does make me wonder "Why?". Just sayin...not asking you to answer that.

I'd be happy to answer, Miss Hepburn. The Christians have been lying to people about Jesus since he was invented. And they have fooled billions and billions of people over the millennia to believe he was real when in fact even their own church hierarchy has been in on the scam since at least the 13th century, Look at what Pope Boniface VIII said about Jesus:

“The sums of money which the fable of Christ has produced the priests are incalculable.” [SIZE=2](c.1290)[/SIZE]

In 1514, Pope Leo X, at a lavish Good Friday banquet, in the Vatican, in the company of seven intimates, Leo X famously stated the following as he raised his toast glass to the air: [1]

“How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us and our predecessors.”

The pope's pronouncement, since characterized as the “most infamous and damaging statement about Christianity in the history of the Church”, was recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi..., op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it.

https://www.eoht.info/page/Christ%20fable

Now if the Popes are in on the Jesus fable, yet they're telling the common folks Jesus was real, doesn't that bother you in the least? And if it bothered you wouldn't you want to try to get the truth out to the hapless people being fed these lies when the Church's inner hierarchy has been in the scam from the start?

That's why I make these threads. I cannot stand the hypocrisy of the church leaders, most of whom are probably closet atheists anyway and are in the Christian racket solely for the job security.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'd be happy to answer, Miss Hepburn.

That's why I make these threads. I cannot stand the hypocrisy of the church leaders, most of whom are probably closet atheists anyway and are in the Christian racket solely for the job security.
Hi, thrill
I left the Catholic Church after finding out so many terrible things.
You must care more about people than I do...cuz that was plenty for me.
Carry on.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:27 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,310 times
...first of all everyone is on their own path and the sooner people understand that and respect it, the sooner these juvenile pizzing contests over who has the right answer will cease...i tend to doubt it though...

...thrill you are very hostile to the Chistians out here by the words you use and the inferences you make about them...

...michael...telling someone they're full of crap and need an enema is hardly an adult response to any post...

...i have no idea if Jesus was a real person, i believe he was, no one cares what i believe but me and my creator, and maybe my wife....no one cares what thrill believes, well i don't, but i'm not going to spend any time or energy to come out here and whip rocks at his beliefs because i think he's wrong...it's a massive waste of my time...

...have at it, kids...

Old 10-07-2022, 09:32 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

That's it. In the entire 1st century when Christianity was supposedly spreading like wildfire across the Mediterranean, a single historian supposedly says a single phrase about a Jesus so-called the Christ and Christians say “Ah ha! You see? That's proof Jesus was real.”
Quibble: Christianity did not spread like wildfire in the first century. It almost died out in the second, and was revived with Marcion's Gospel.

I think you are referring to the stories of Acts by using the word supposedly. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not surprising that there are few mentions of Christianity in the first century since there were very few, provincial believers.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:15 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Quibble: Christianity did not spread like wildfire in the first century. It almost died out in the second, and was revived with Marcion's Gospel.
A brief perusal of Marcion and his "gospel" on the net is pretty wild.

There seems to be a lot of controversy. Marcion was a gnostic. Marcion's gospel preceded the other four. Marcion was a direct rip off of Luke. Marcion was apostate according to other early church fathers and his gospel is apocrypha. And so on.

I'd like to read your version of Marcion and his gospel in fuller detail if you were willing to share.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
My prayer is that I never hate someone as much as thrill hates Christians and Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality