Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 04:43 AM

1,758 posts, read 760,616 times

Advertisements

Ben Franklin on religion.

There is a God and God is to be worshipped.

The best way to worship God is by doing good deeds among your fellow humans.

Doctrinal differences do not matter so long as you are doing good deeds among humans.

Ben Franklin donated to all of the churches in Philadelphia and was one of the biggest donors to the Jewish Synagogue despite not being Jewish. Back then there was no government social safety net and the churches made up that difference. Franklin wanted to support these civic institutions that eased the suffering of the poor with food and clothing and took in the homeless on cold winter nights.

Many churches still to this day do great feats of charity, because that is how you truly honor God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 06:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
For a guy that doesn't believe in doctrine, he's speaking doctrine.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:35 AM

16,027 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Doctrinal differences do not matter so long as you are doing good deeds among humans.

Ben Franklin donated to all of the churches in Philadelphia and was one of the biggest donors to the Jewish Synagogue despite not being Jewish. Back then there was no government social safety net and the churches made up that difference. Franklin wanted to support these civic institutions that eased the suffering of the poor with food and clothing and took in the homeless on cold winter nights.

Many churches still to this day do great feats of charity, because that is how you truly honor God.
In fact when govt, at all levels, when considering social services for the disadvantaged, see faith institutions as an important ally to deliver the services - be it emergency, food and shelter, medical care, and just compassion and human touch. And they deliver.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:02 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Which doctrine? Not the doctrine of eternal perdition or of utter depravity, surely. It sounds to me like basically humanist values, which have some overlap with church doctrine and perhaps a deist or universal reconciliation view of religious faith. We are all in this together, and should help and be kind to one another. That is something that one would think all religions could share and cooperate on.

As government collapses around us, the churches have an opportunity to return to their roots of doing practical good works of mercy and kindness. I wonder how many of them will seize it? I know the sect I came out of would see no-strings-attached charity as the dreaded social gospel.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Which doctrine? Not the doctrine of eternal perdition or of utter depravity, surely. It sounds to me like basically humanist values, which have some overlap with church doctrine and perhaps a deist or universal reconciliation view of religious faith. We are all in this together, and should help and be kind to one another. That is something that one would think all religions could share and cooperate on.

As government collapses around us, the churches have an opportunity to return to their roots of doing practical good works of mercy and kindness. I wonder how many of them will seize it? I know the sect I came out of would see no-strings-attached charity as the dreaded social gospel.
Saying that doctrine doesn't matter is a doctrinal statement.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,800,115 times
Quote:

Ben Franklin is one of few people in history who I admire. I love his "13 Virtues", AND, that he actually worked on them, and incorporate them into his character.

How many people do that today?

Old 09-24-2022, 08:41 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Ben Franklin is one of few people in history who I admire. I love his "13 Virtues", AND, that he actually worked on them, and incorporate them into his character.

Have you ever read his writings on the death of a friend? It’s very comforting. He writes that we are all invited to a banquet in heaven and there is a place set for each of us.

“Our friend and we are invited abroad on a party of pleasure—that is to last for ever. His chair was first ready and he is gone before us. We could not all conveniently start together, and why should you and I be grieved at this, since we are soon to follow, and we know where to find him.”

Old 09-24-2022, 08:42 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

It doesn't take away from Franklin's interest in virtue to point out that he wrote the essays "Fart Proudly" and "Old Mistresses' Apologue" (aka: On Choosing a Mistress). Franklin also had an admirable "don't give a fig" streak when it came to the opinions of others. He also understood that integrity, charity, loyalty, and other great virtues are not canceled by one's private personal habits.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 760,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Hi,
I didn't do the best job describing it. Ben Franklin does not say that he 'doesn't believe in doctrine,' but rather that doctrine from church to church doesn't matter as long as they are doing good deeds to humankind. So he doesn't really care about doctrinal differences so long as good is being done.

For example, some churches back then would argue about whether or not to have ceremonies that resembled Catholic ceremonies or about baptism. Franklin donated to all religious organizations in Philadelphia, because they all did charity.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:56 AM

412 posts, read 138,584 times
Quote:
Hi,
I didn't do the best job describing it. Ben Franklin does not say that he 'doesn't believe in doctrine,' but rather that doctrine from church to church doesn't matter as long as they are doing good deeds to humankind. So he doesn't really care about doctrinal differences so long as good is being done.

For example, some churches back then would argue about whether or not to have ceremonies that resembled Catholic ceremonies or about baptism. Franklin donated to all religious organizations in Philadelphia, because they all did charity.

However, Franklin, as one of the messengers of the Enlightenment to America, abandoned his religion as an adult in favor of reason and science and the man-made ethics of that movement.
https://hollowverse.com/benjamin-franklin

I wonder why some people believe one has to abandon their religion to seek enlightenment!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality