Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 10:11 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We all have beliefs, beliefs are driven by many things. Regardless of what you believe you are accountable for your actions. Actions have consequences. That you believe taking bribes is not wrong if you do a favor will not keep you from going to jail.
There has been plenty of discussions up thread about how the same religious texts can be interpreted to justify both right and wrong actions. You should review them.
In what post has anyone said that an individual is not responsible for his own actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 10:13 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that you and I and a few others are healthily not willing to excuse religion. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due, and no problem criticizing where criticism is due.
To my way of thinking, what you describe as no problem for you is what helps the human race make progress. Those who can't seem to do so as "healthily" retard that progress.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
We all have beliefs, beliefs are driven by many things. Regardless of what you believe you are accountable for your actions. Actions have consequences. That you believe taking bribes is not wrong if you do a favor will not keep you from going to jail.
There has been plenty of discussions up thread about how the same religious texts can be interpreted to justify both right and wrong actions. You should review them.
Can't argue with any of these generalizations either, and I won't, but is taking bribes a bad thing?

Old 09-27-2022, 10:20 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
I should add that the Muslims I have met personally are all new immigrants or visitors including the one that lived with us for a year. A mixture of head coverings or none and devout followers to average young people drinking. But of be course none of these are living under draconian religious fundamentalists. The accounts I gave above were from people who actually lived in nations that quickly went from secular Islam nations to ones where the fundamentalists became very influential. Of course there are more liberal Islamic nations where people are free. Or there is the example of Uganda where Christians are in charge and they tried to institute the dead penalty for gay acts due to religious beliefs.

When religious principles are implemented by the more extreme and radical of that religion expect to see those principles being very negative upon the citizens

And the refusal to see any harm or wrong in any religion is just enabling those negative practices to thrive and expand. There is good and bad or even evil coming out of many religions. Atheists and religious people can speak against those practices without being against God, anti religion or against religious freedoms. The same as speaking up about when religion does good. My wife had an aunt who was a very devout Catholic and I would never say a word against her for her belief or how she lived her life and raised her children. She treated me most wonderful and we were close. But I will not ignore the preist sexual abuse or Residential school scandals because they were Catholic and many Catholic rightfully do not. I speak out about the role the Canadian governments played in the later scandal even though I love my country and am proud to be Canadian. It is not my country love it or leave it , it is my country love it and try to improve it but recognize it's failings. Same for any wrong doings by an atheist organization which I belong to none

Having to say silent because it is a religion, a foreign country or a different race means we do not care for the suffering of others and only want to protect our own image of self goodness.

Those are my opinions. I am not anti God, anti Muslim or anti religious. I speak against any bigotry, harmful practices or ignorance that at least on this form regards religion. On other forums I am vocal about bigotry, harmful practices and ignorant about climate change, the environment or other subjects. If others belief in their God or religion is not strong enough to accept that any bigotry, harm or ignorance is every involved by their religion I feel sorry for their blindness. Religion does good and it can do bad. Just be honest.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:24 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can't argue with any of these generalizations either, and I won't, but is taking bribes a bad thing?
Bribery is a way of life in some countries, and I have given a bribe twice in Thailand.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:46 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But it varies widely by country. My friend was living and working in Jordan for a few years. She was amused by the dress of the young women--skinny jeans with high heels, long sleeved tops that covered up to their neck, and then they bound their hair up in headscarves and wore huge Jackie-Onassis-style sunglasses. She said they reminded her of aliens in jeans and heels more than anything else.

The people I worked for most recently are Pakistani-American Muslims. The woman who was president of the company wore suits with pants, blouses always buttoned to her neck, but she did not cover her hair. I went to an event where I was one of four or five non-Pakistanis (it was an alumni association for the engineering school in Karachi), and some of the women covered, and some did not. These were not oppressed women--they were engineers in positions of authority or business owners. Same with when the husband showed me a photo of his 95-year-old mother in Pakistan. She wore a head covering and what looked like old-fashioned clothing, while his niece in the picture with her did not have a head covering.

Just pointing out that you cannot paint all Muslim-dominant countries with the same brush.
In the UAE as I mentioned visiting earlier, girls were allowed out in westernized clothing, same as the boys, right up until puberty, and then they had to wear a burqa. According to my aunt who we were visiting at the time, she said that they only had to wear a burka outdoors or around men. When they got home and got together in groups they removed them and wore whatever they liked.

I don't think we should forget that the Burqa is originally born out of a male dominated society in which women were oppressed. So while some of the more fortunate Muslim women nowadays can claim that they have a choice - they wear it for modesty, or for cultural identity or whatever the reason, and I have no quarrel with them for it, it's roots come firmly out of male oppression.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:53 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
In the UAE as I mentioned visiting earlier, girls were allowed out in westernized clothing, same as the boys, right up until puberty, and then they had to wear a burqa. According to my aunt who we were visiting at the time, she said that they only had to wear a burka outdoors or around men. When they got home and got together in groups they removed them and wore whatever they liked.

I don't think we should forget that the Burqa is originally born out of a male dominated society in which women were oppressed. So while some of the more fortunate Muslim women nowadays can claim that they have a choice - they wear it for modesty, or for cultural identity or whatever the reason, and I have no quarrel with them for it, it's roots come firmly out of male oppression.
well, most everything comes out of male oppression. muslims are no different.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
True enough.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Wish I could disagree, but I certainly can't...

For whatever it might be worth, lots of men have been oppressed by other men too. Lots of died in wars that women have not had to fight or die in, though of course the suffering of war is shared by women and men one way or another. The problem of "might makes right" has been an age-old problem affecting everyone since the beginning. Unfortunately, women have been the more vulnerable all the while, but at the same time typically at the side of men, "for better or worse." Too often for worse. Not sure how productive it is to blame either sex, but no doubt too many men still need to get their act better together still.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wish I could disagree, but I certainly can't...

For whatever it might be worth, lots of men have been oppressed by other men too. Lots of died in wars that women have not had to fight or die in, though of course the suffering of war is shared by women and men one way or another. The problem of "might makes right" has been an age-old problem affecting everyone since the beginning. Unfortunately, women have been the more vulnerable all the while, but at the same time typically at the side of men, "for better or worse." Too often for worse. Not sure how productive it is to blame either sex, but no doubt too many men still need to get their act better together still.
Yes. Countries are in general better when they are led by women. I mean apart from Margaret Thatcher. The rest seem to be doing or have done a good job though. Come on USA, catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality