Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 08:42 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...pew-study.html

They refer to the latest PEW study, which shows that adherents to Christianity not only continue to decline, but it won't be long before they will no longer be in the majority.

Is it a prediction? No, but it is the most plausible scenario. There are others, and the study also shows them. However, in all cases, Christianity will still be the largest USA religion.
Very interesting. I'd like to see what you think about these scriptures:

Daniel 12:4-(concerning the end times)
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

2 Thessalonians 2:3
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

THESE are predictions, albeit extremely vague, sort of like Nostradamus' predictions. But here's the interesting part.....I was taught that during the end times knowledge would increase and the anti-Christ would be revealed after a falling away of the faith. Of course, that's only the Christian faith. That's the only one that has it right, right? Right.

Can you imagine believing that until (number of years cannot be mentioned) you're very grown up? Grown up enough to question teachings like this. Which I did, eventually. How does this tie in to your OP? You mentioned prediction and this was the first thing that popped in my head so I ran with it. It's these types of teachings that really make one question their beliefs.

But, is there any truth to these biblical predictions? I believe that is a big fat NO. I mean, over time, of course knowledge is going to increase. We see that with technology. We have space-age gadgets that could not have been imagined even 20 years ago. Time is passing more quickly because we are all so busy, this is true. There is a "falling away" as demonstrated in your post. So that is fuel for the literalist Fundamentalists, I think we can look for more 'insistence' from Christians because I do believe they think this is the end times.

Any thoughts? Just my musings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 08:44 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
As a matter of fact, I did. There is also the she-hulk and my own imagination.
Princess Fiona?

Old 09-13-2022, 08:53 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Princess Fiona?
Nah. Ogresses aren't my type.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Princess Fiona?
I love the Shrek movies! I got to respect a girl who has three green babies.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

THESE are predictions, albeit extremely vague, sort of like Nostradamus' predictions. But here's the interesting part.....I was taught that during the end times knowledge would increase and the anti-Christ would be revealed after a falling away of the faith. Of course, that's only the Christian faith. That's the only one that has it right, right? Right.

Can you imagine believing that until (number of years cannot be mentioned) you're very grown up? Grown up enough to question teachings like this. Which I did, eventually. How does this tie in to your OP? You mentioned prediction and this was the first thing that popped in my head so I ran with it. It's these types of teachings that really make one question their beliefs.

But, is there any truth to these biblical predictions? I believe that is a big fat NO. I mean, over time, of course knowledge is going to increase. We see that with technology. We have space-age gadgets that could not have been imagined even 20 years ago. Time is passing more quickly because we are all so busy, this is true. There is a "falling away" as demonstrated in your post. So that is fuel for the literalist Fundamentalists, I think we can look for more 'insistence' from Christians because I do believe they think this is the end times.

Once upon a time I had every prophecy book out there. This was 1970-2000. I think of the money I blew on this useless junk and want to cry. But they all had the same scenario and it was pretty well condensed into a little pamphlet put out by that loon, Jack T. Chick called "The Beast". Read it and weep--I mean bust a gut.

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=7

Old 09-13-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Once upon a time I had every prophecy book out there. This was 1970-2000. I think of the money I blew on this useless junk and want to cry. But they all had the same scenario and it was pretty well condensed into a little pamphlet put out by that loon, Jack T. Chick called "The Beast". Read it and weep--I mean bust a gut.

Oh dear dog, I remember that. My Dad would make us hand out religious tracts sometimes, it was hugely embarrassing and it made me feel.....like I hated my life. I'll have to read that "pamphlet", I need a good laugh.

Edit to add: That is more horrid and scary than the Halloween movies.

Last edited by Northsouth; 09-13-2022 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 09-14-2022, 06:16 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Ah, good old Jack Chick. Purveyor of anti-Semitism and anti-Catholicism in the name of the Lord.

Here's the one I most remember from back in the day:

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=1

Old 09-14-2022, 07:48 AM

344 posts, read 144,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

Prophecy, and Christianity in America, is big business. Same Religious flim flam. America can't handle truth.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I just hope our Christian 'friends' here on the forum take note of where this article that's being discussed came from. Not some anti-christian or atheistic publication or group. It came from "Christianity Today", a publication that says of themselves that they put forward "the truth, goodness, and beauty of the gospel". And I hope our christian 'friends' are noticing that it's the christian organization that entitled the article "Decline of Christianity Shows No Signs of Stopping".

Old 09-14-2022, 09:11 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...pew-study.html

They refer to the latest PEW study, which shows that adherents to Christianity not only continue to decline, but it won't be long before they will no longer be in the majority.

Is it a prediction? No, but it is the most plausible scenario. There are others, and the study also shows them. However, in all cases, Christianity will still be the largest USA religion.
Ok. And? What's your point?

Nowhere in the Bible does it suggest that America will be Christian. Nor is America even mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality