Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 3,166 times

Advertisements

Check out the Disciples of Christ version of the Holy Bible, via heir website here.

https://www.docw.us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 03:33 PM

7,597 posts, read 6,095,751 times
Default Holy Bible D.O.C. version

I have had way too many dealings with the Disciples of Christ. They are definitely near the top of my "Avoid at all costs list" They are a very dangerous group, many are hate based. They were prominent in the Satanic Panic paranoia of the 80s. They have also been implicated in the anti-science camp. They tend to follow Sola-Scriptura and are often intolerant of others .

I have had more bad experiences than good ones with this group in the past. In fact, I recall NO good experiences.

If they suggest a Bible, even for reference (which BTW is nothing new) I would not be convinced by the presence of a book and would be dissuaded by this particular group.
BUT as the Happy Atheist, living in a still free country I can not only avoid these types of people but educate others on the unhealthy practices of them as well.

Not sure what "help" this book would give me, but I know what "harm" it has given to many others.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:38 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,180,697 times
Disciples of Christ? Goody goody. Up there with groups like the Christ Kings, The People, The Disciples of Glory, and Yes, We Are In Fact the Ultimates. Okay, maybe none of those groups exist - yet - but you get the idea. All sorts of people tripping over themselves for attention. And we now have the Internet to promote and celebrate their deeds. It's just swell and dandy LOL

Old 09-08-2022, 05:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,941,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have had way too many dealings with the Disciples of Christ. They are definitely near the top of my "Avoid at all costs list" They are a very dangerous group, many are hate based. They were prominent in the Satanic Panic paranoia of the 80s. They have also been implicated in the anti-science camp. They tend to follow Sola-Scriptura and are often intolerant of others .

I have had more bad experiences than good ones with this group in the past. In fact, I recall NO good experiences.

If they suggest a Bible, even for reference (which BTW is nothing new) I would not be convinced by the presence of a book and would be dissuaded by this particular group.
BUT as the Happy Atheist, living in a still free country I can not only avoid these types of people but educate others on the unhealthy practices of them as well.

Not sure what "help" this book would give me, but I know what "harm" it has given to many others.

They sound very Children-of-God -ish. Memba them?

Old 09-08-2022, 08:33 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWillofTheLord View Post
Check out the Disciples of Christ version of the Holy Bible, via heir website here.

I don't know what to make of it. If the table of contents is accurate it consists only of a couple of OT books, the apocryphal book of Tobit, and the gospel of Matthew.

No cover page, no copyright, no citations of who translated and what their qualifications were. The text appears to be modern English rather than the Elizabethan English of the KJV.

Google is not producing a lot of relevant hits for me. There is a badly laid out and hard to read essay here about translations produced by members of DOC-related denominations -- apparently more than one over the past 200 years. In fact the JWs are in the mix, because they once used one of them, apparently prior to doing their own New World Translation. If this document is accurate it sounds like most of these DOC translations are not the work of a group or committee of scholars but of individual persons within the group -- ministers and such. If so, they are almost definitionally not mainstream endeavors, and I would be suspicious of the quality.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:00 AM

The opening post reads like an advertisement, as we tend to see with first-time posters.

I'd rather peer behind the curtain and see what agenda is behind this particular cult... I mean.. group

Old 09-09-2022, 10:45 AM

7,597 posts, read 6,095,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The opening post reads like an advertisement, as we tend to see with first-time posters.

I'd rather peer behind the curtain and see what agenda is behind this particular cult... I mean.. group
I can tell you. They are part of the Campbell movement, which means restoring the world to early/ Biblical Christianity. this includes not only Sola Scriptura, but denial of science rejection of anything that is not 100% in their Bible, except of course, medicine, they will rush to cal their Doctor if they are sick, then afterwards pray and say "Gawd Cured me faster than a slab of Bacon AAA-MENNN!!"

Most I have met have ranged from mildly unpleasant to downright nasty. When I look at people trying to sell religion and BTW many of their pastors/ministers have the sales personality of a bad used car salesman, I have to look at what their religion has done for/to them, and ask "DO I want to become like that person?"
The answer here has always been a resounding NO!

They are their own worst enemies, and I have told many of them , to end their harassment, that I am not interested in their religion because I See what it has done to them, and I do not want to be ANYTHING like them..
As for the"Well we are going to heaven" retort that they often use as the last word, I simply point out that IF heaven did in fact exist, and people like them were the inhabitants of it, then it cannot be a good place, and I can think of nothing more torturous than having to spend an eternity around those kinds of people.
Amen.

OH and let me point out that the movement is very Fear Based. These people are scared to death of God. Devil too, and anyone who fails to comply with their beliefs. Kind of an US vs THE WORLD mentality. Leadership and membership tends to attract the Narcissistic types.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 09-09-2022 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: late note

Old 09-09-2022, 11:23 AM

I'm glad to report that I don't know what the "Campbell movement" is either. But it's okay. We could spend 24/7 discussing things that we're best steering clear of. I personally think life is too short to taint with awareness of such distorted and polluted ways, so opt out as much as possible. But that's good that others are doing the research.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:21 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,003,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

They are certainly very cultish.
Evangelicals only problem with them is the “baptism is necessary for salvation” theology.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 3,166 times
Default Just finished the Holy Bible - book of Leviticus - DOC

Just finished the Holy Bible - book of Leviticus - Disicples of Christ

Here is the link, i hope you guys enjoy it! i am currently working on publishing the rest of those books and rooting out many widespread mistranslations found in countless other versions of the Holy Bible!

Last edited by TheWillofTheLord; 09-12-2022 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality