Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 06:07 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
(1)Ground fault somewhere in their equipment panel/wiring,
(2) no/improperly configured GFCI outlet for equipment (required for any wired equip used 'near' water) , even for a long microphone wire.
(3)touching any kind of wired equip whilst submerged in a grounding medium, unfortunately completes the circuit.
As an electrician that has some knowledge of sound systems, I'm saying this sounds strange. Microphones don't use either high voltage or high current. Condenser mics do have power, usually 48V DC, but the current is very low, measured in milli Amps. Non-condenser mics are in the range in millivolts.

In other words, there shouldn't be enough voltage or current to cause an electrocution in a microphone cable used for spoken voice. It makes me wonder just what kind of equipment failure cause this to happen.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I never saw this thread.
The Subject/title is perpetuating a false concept....that God kills.
And then other comments make dying evil.
What next - thunder means God is angry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 07:19 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As an electrician that has some knowledge of sound systems, I'm saying this sounds strange. Microphones don't use either high voltage or high current. Condenser mics do have power, usually 48V DC, but the current is very low, measured in milli Amps. Non-condenser mics are in the range in millivolts.

In other words, there shouldn't be enough voltage or current to cause an electrocution in a microphone cable used for spoken voice. It makes me wonder just what kind of equipment failure cause this to happen.
Had to be a faulty ground situation on the supply outlet/panel for the equip (and failure to ground system rack independent of the supply outlet). Only way current could flow back thru the ground wire of the mic/cable.

One way this can be cause is if outlet ran to a sub-panel where they failed to float the neutral independent of ground (and even worse if also failed to actually run a separate ground wire back to main panel). This would cause 'ground' of any connected outlets (and any plugged in equip grounded only to the outlet ground) to become part of the neutral return, thus carrying current, anywhere this improper 'ground' can find a 'true ground', like a tub of water connected to metallic plumbing grounded thru earth.

You can see that this doesn't require any actual failure of the plugged in equipment itself to cause a deadly situation.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:31 AM

50,760 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I never saw this thread.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I was always taught that god chooses the moment and the method of our death. How is that not god killing.

When god turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt, how was that not killing?

Who was it that killed all the first born in Egypt? Some guy named Charlie?

Old 08-29-2022, 08:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I was always taught that god chooses the moment and the method of our death. How is that not god killing.
When god turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt, how was that not killing?
Who was it that killed all the first born in Egypt? Some guy named Charlie?
That's Old Testament interpretations of events by people that didn't know where the sun went at sunset.
If you want to believe they are true about a Spirit that creates
Billions of galaxies each with 200 billion suns 50 xs larger than our little sun ...hey, that's ok with me.
God's not going to be deciding when I leave this dimension...I worked it into my Plan before I
incarnated here...subject to change.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
That's Old Testament interpretations of events by people that didn't know where the sun went at sunset.
If you want to believe they are true about a Spirit that creates
Billions of galaxies each with 200 billion suns 50 xs larger than our little sun ...hey, that's ok with me.
God's not going to be deciding when I leave this dimension...I worked it into my Plan before I
incarnated here...subject to change.
But I was taught that by 20th century ministers.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:04 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
God didn't "kill him" or even "let him get killed".

The universe is full of danger. Dangerous snakes, lightning, floods, stars exploding. God isn't stopping any of those. Or for non-believers, nature isn't stopping them either. So it's stupid to wrestle with the unchangeable.

We are supposed to carry on as best as possible, but also not put all marbles in this temporary life we have as mortals.

All people die. Some actually live in more fullness while here than others, and that's what counts. Get a clue.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

The universe is full of danger. Dangerous snakes, lightning, floods, stars exploding. God isn't stopping any of those. Or for non-believers, nature isn't stopping them either. So it's stupid to wrestle with the unchangeable.

We are supposed to carry on as best as possible, but also not put all marbles in this temporary life we have as mortals.

All people die. Some actually live in more fullness while here than others, and that's what counts. Get a clue.
I think you're the one who needs to get a clue.

There are MANY religionists, including ministers and priests, who teach that god designs the time and manner of your death. This is not a rare teaching.

"And there is no god besides Me;
It is I who put to death and give life.
I have wounded and it is I who heal,
And there is no one who can deliver from My hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39 (NASB)

"The LORD kills and makes alive;
He brings down to Sheol and raises up."
1 Samuel 2:6 (NASB)

"He said,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD.” Job 1:21 (NASB)

"Since his days are determined,
The number of his months is with You;
And his limits You have set so that he cannot pass."
Job 14:5 (NASB)

Old 08-29-2022, 10:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Picture this: a pastor is trying to baptize a new member into Jesus' family. He's in the water, he grabs a mike and he is electrocuted. He's rushed to the hospital but he doesn't survive.

WACO, Texas (ABP) — Kyle Lake, 33-year-old pastor of the innovative University Baptist Church in Waco, Texas, was electrocuted and died Oct. 30 after he grabbed a microphone while in a baptistry full of water.
According to eyewitness reports, Lake grabbed the microphone to adjust it while standing in the baptismal waters. He was shocked and collapsed. More than 800 people witnessed the event.

https://baptistnews.com/article/waco...tism-accident/

Try to get the full scope of the irony: a servant of God is killed by God doing God's work.

I mean if this doesn't convince you something is seriously wrong with Christianity in particular and religion in general I don't know what will.

And apparently it's not an isolated case. In Salisbury park Pune India this happened (at 0:35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iD4oCcZmbg

Here are some cases where Christianity, far from being good for you, is downright deadly for you. What kind of crazy mixed up world does God run here? If these people had ignored God they'd be alive today. But because they tried to please God they're dead today. Once again, is God completely innocent of bad stuff happening on His watch and it's all the devil's fault?

My money is on Christians saying "The devil did it." So Satan is stronger than God. That's a reasonable conclusion.
Quote:
"The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life." Psalm 121:7

"...nothing shall hurt you." Luke 10:19

"No evil shall be allowed to befall you" Psalm 91:10

If I hear you correctly, Michael you're saying that despite the promises the Bible makes to people about God protecting us from evil, the reality is that God doesn't protect us from evil; people die doing God's work. They're not afforded any protection at all.

It all just seems so random and arbitrary. What good are the Bible's promises?
Quote:
Is it naive to think that just because the Bible says, "God will keep your life" that your life will actually be kept? How exactly should people contemplating joining Christianity interpret that, or as you seem to be implying, the way I read it anyway, should a person just accept that such passages are not meant to be taken literally?
Quote:
But that's the whole problem. History has pretty much proven conclusively that there never was a "Jesus of Nazareth, son of God who died on the cross for your sins". That's just a fable of yet another man-god among many men-gods circulating through the Mediterranean at that time. Historians believe the Jesus myth was likely based on a real Jewish anti-Roman zealot who was crucified for sedition against Rome and tossed into a hole with a bunch of other Jewish criminals and covered over. Afterward, various stories about a man-god who was crucified started circulating in the area, not much different from stories about Romulus, another man-god. Look at the legend of Romulus and see how similar it is to Jesus. And remember Romulus came first:

* Age 35 when he miraculously ascended to Olympus

* Son of Rhea who had been miraculously impregnated by the god Mars.

* Assassinated by the Roman senate vs Jesus condemned to death by Jewish Sanhedrin

* Earth darkened when Romulus killed

I mean the list of similarities goes on an on. Anyone would have to be out of their minds not to accept that the legend of Jesus is just the legend of Romulus and other man-gods rewritten and given a Jewish flavor.

This is why we can read things like Psalm 91:

The LORD is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.

Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.

A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but [harm] will not come near you.

You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you make the Most High your dwelling-- even the LORD, who is my refuge--then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.

And we realize Biblical stuff like this doesn't carry a nickel's worth of truth. It's all just flowery poetry that we can find in dozens of other holy books but there's not a bit of supernatural power behind the words like Christians love to attribute to it.

And so it wouldn't be surprising that a minister would climb into a tub full of water with a live mike nearby and sincerely believe nothing harmful would happen to him because of a silly promise made in the Bible--a promise that obviously turns out to be not worth the paper it's printed on.

Problem is if it's in the Bible and as you say the Bible is the 'inspired" word of God then shouldn't the God of the Bible at least try to stand behind promises made in his name for the sake of the people who believe in him and his promises?

That is, unless the God of the Bible doesn't even exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're the one who needs to get a clue.

There are MANY religionists, including ministers and priests, who teach that god designs the time and manner of your death. This is not a rare teaching.

"And there is no god besides Me;
It is I who put to death and give life.
I have wounded and it is I who heal,
And there is no one who can deliver from My hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39 (NASB)

"The LORD kills and makes alive;
He brings down to Sheol and raises up."
1 Samuel 2:6 (NASB)

"He said,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD.” Job 1:21 (NASB)

"Since his days are determined,
The number of his months is with You;
And his limits You have set so that he cannot pass."
Job 14:5 (NASB)
So...you all even ask, "should a person just accept that such passages are not meant to be taken literally?"...and cite stories you know are metaphorical and allegorical such as, "When god turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt"
Since you know this is not a literal account of occurrences, or a documentary of what was said or happened (and don't believe that yourself)...why do you endlessly continue to pose these questions that are based upon a literal Bible interpretation?
Does it bother you that much that so many believe it literally that you are constrained to question their position and beliefs over, and over, and over again for years?
It can't be anything else...otherwise you wouldn't constantly do this.
It just all seems so critical and negative, and not cool.
Billions believe differently from you...that's how it is. And you are not going to change it. In fact...they are gaining and your position is losing overall.
Don't like that? Oh, well! Best wishes resolving that problem.
I will pray for you.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:47 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
I never saw this thread.

You don't think God kills, Miss Hepburn? Have you read the Old Testament? God did a lot of killing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality