Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 08:49 AM

29,587 posts, read 9,813,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Basically it's the old ruse that if you don't agree with me then, obviously, you don't understand it.
Lots of ruse going on in this forum generally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 08:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is strange is that you seem unable to recognize when someone has read the entire article and provided a summary of its essential features as they apply to those who do NOT comprehend what issues are involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Try being honest for once. Things can be tedious WITH comprehension. I understood the paper, but had to jump to the conclusion because it is tedious speculation, and nothing more.

So once again, instead of your usual arrogant pretense at being a superior intellect, start providing actual, rational evidence for your position instead of your usual fallacies and creationist arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't think it is a lack of comprehension.
The "lack of comprehension" can be actual, or wilful.
Just like those that put Galileo on trial for his hypothesis on Heliocentrism...that Philolaus and Hicetas had suggested over a thousand years before, and then Aristarchus of Samos had also proposed with greater accuracy 800 years before.
They certainly had the mental capacity to "comprehend" what Galileo was putting forth, but it so strongly went against their preferred concepts, they refused to even admit it had merit.
As we know now...Galileo's hypothesis was valid, and the Earth really does revolve around the Sun.

Humans have contemplated their consciousness for many thousands of years. Why we can think, reason, have emotions, and imagine.
We have always known it is a invisible phenomenon that we are unable to grasp or measure. Only recently have we even been able to quantify "brain waves".
Also very recently have we discovered dark matter & dark energy...and only because we can observe its effects.
Like consciousness...it is invisible and unmeasureable (at this time), though we have figured out it is actually the vast majority (like 90%+) of the entire Universe (assuming "ALL that Exists" is equated to "The Universe"), and thus of major significance.
The same with Quantum Physics...this is a very recent Scientific Field.
How/If these things are related...I certainly admit actual ignorance of the fine working and details of these fields to even draw a reasonable conclusion. OTOH...these research tools are so new...nobody has been able to apply them to anywhere near the depth needed or even use them to make a measurement.
I also realize that Mystics hypothesis is at the level of what Philolaus & Hicetas and Aristarchus of Samos, then Galileo had.
But I certainly would not completely dismiss it, like the Inquisitors did to Galileo and his hypothesis.
These ideas and research is how we figure things out.
I certainly would like to know more about how the God I revere functions...and only someone that is mired down in personal preferences would completely dismiss off-hand what Mystic proposes.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:22 AM

29,587 posts, read 9,813,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "lack of comprehension" can be actual, or wilful.
Just like those that put Galileo on trial for his hypothesis on Heliocentrism...that Philolaus and Hicetas had suggested over a thousand years before, and then Aristarchus of Samos had also proposed with greater accuracy 800 years before.
They certainly had the mental capacity to "comprehend" what Galileo was putting forth, but it so strongly went against their preferred concepts, they refused to even admit it had merit.
As we know now...Galileo's hypothesis was valid, and the Earth really does revolve around the Sun.

Humans have contemplated their consciousness for many thousands of years. Why we can think, reason, have emotions, and imagine.
We have always known it is a invisible phenomenon that we are unable to grasp or measure. Only recently have we even been able to quantify "brain waves".
Also very recently have we discovered dark matter & dark energy...and only because we can observe its effects.
Like consciousness...it is invisible and unmeasureable (at this time), though we have figured out it is actually the vast majority (like 90%+) of the entire Universe (assuming "ALL that Exists" is equated to "The Universe"), and thus of major significance.
The same with Quantum Physics...this is a very recent Scientific Field.
How/If these things are related...I certainly admit actual ignorance of the fine working and details of these fields to even draw a reasonable conclusion. OTOH...these research tools are so new...nobody has been able to apply them to anywhere near the depth needed or even use them to make a measurement.
I also realize that Mystics hypothesis is at the level of what Philolaus & Hicetas and Aristarchus of Samos, then Galileo had.
But I certainly would not completely dismiss it, like the Inquisitors did to Galileo and his hypothesis.
These ideas and research is how we figure things out.
I certainly would like to know more about how the God I revere functions...and only someone that is mired down in personal preferences would completely dismiss off-hand what Mystic proposes.
Does comprehension involve the distinction between facts and fiction? Just a question, not an interrogation, as no doubt it's time for me to get on with our BSB now...

Old 02-27-2022, 09:26 AM

16,870 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
...and only someone that is mired down in personal preferences would completely dismiss off-hand what Mystic proposes.
Only someone mired down in personal preferences would completely accept off-hand what Mystic proposes.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Does comprehension involve the distinction between facts and fiction? Just a question, not an interrogation, as no doubt it's time for me to get on with our BSB now...
Of course...considerations of the position on The Scale of Probability that ideas/concepts/info have is gonna be factored in when making assessments.
Another question will be...exactly what position on that scale does each idea, concept, or information hold?
So...there can be questions about the questions...that are greatly subjective & arbitrary.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:56 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,619,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Basically it's the old ruse that if you don't agree with me then, obviously, you don't understand it.
You noticed that also!

Old 02-27-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Only someone mired down in personal preferences would completely accept off-hand what Mystic proposes.
Of course.
I was a Atheist...and had been since I was able to make a reasonable consideration of the matter.
I saw Mystics offerings here...I inquired of him. He took the time to explain his ideas & concepts.
I always believed that God(s) were limited to the Deities and Creatures written of in ancient Theological & Mythological texts...and that they obviously did not exist except as representative characters in those writings.
Mystic hipped me to the fact that "God" is not limited to just that...and I came to greater knowledge & understanding.
I did not adopt his Panentheistic Theism, but perceived the existence of God through a very basic & generic Pantheistic concept.
But I do not completely dismiss the hypothetical concepts he proposes...and I feel they have more than enough merit to warrant greater research and study.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:22 AM

64,041 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
What is strange is that you seem unable to recognize when someone has read the entire article and provided a summary of its essential features as they apply to those who do NOT comprehend what issues are involved.
Quote:
Try being honest for once. Things can be tedious WITH comprehension. I understood the paper, but had to jump to the conclusion because it is tedious speculation, and nothing more.

So once again, instead of your usual arrogant pretense at being a superior intellect, start providing actual, rational evidence for your position instead of your usual fallacies and creationist arguments.
::Sigh:: What you dismiss as tedious speculation is what outlines the unresolved issues that SHOULD preclude your blasé dismissal of the concept that your intransigent atheism demands.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:49 AM

16,870 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Quote:
::Sigh:: What you dismiss as tedious speculation is what outlines the unresolved issues that SHOULD preclude your blasé dismissal of the concept that your intransigent atheism demands.
::Sigh::

I know. But it is still speculation. And that is why my dismissal is NOT blasé. That you need to pretend it is is STILL not being honest.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
::Sigh::

I know. But it is still speculation. And that is why my dismissal is NOT blasé. That you need to pretend it is is STILL not being honest.
I guess, technically, you could say that ^^^^ about any hypothesis...no matter what it is.
So...you dismiss everything that is hypothetical?
If everyone did that...that would be a serious impediment to any research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality