Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 08:09 AM

17,826 posts, read 13,741,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The FACT of the matter: The future has MORE Blacks in this world affiliated with a Religion.
Just the opposite of what you think. You need to check into this better...so you don't continue to be plagued by your "magical thinking" that invalid info is true.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ds-population/
There is a certain irony in that the appeal to people in other countries regarding Christianity is that very "magical thinking" thing that you are disregarding. The idea that Jesus can make your life better and save you from eternal torment is attractive to folks who are living on the edge of catastrophe.

In the United States we've heard it long enough that the message is not as effective as it once was. It would seem that Black people in the USA are in less desperate straits as they might have been in earlier times and are evolving on this issue.

However, it would be interesting to look at poor Black areas and see what is happening. My guess is that the traditional Black church has an "aging" issue. I would wonder what church attendance is like for the under 40 population in impoverished Black areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 05:07 PM

20,066 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My guess is that the traditional Black church has an "aging" issue. I would wonder what church attendance is like for the under 40 population in impoverished Black areas.
I don't know much about the topic, but I would be careful assuming that just because you see that any group is skewing older it means they are doomed. Remember that younger people are constantly aging into that demographic even as older ones are dying off. So long as that is in balance, it is not a given that the group is going to fizzle over the ensuing couple of decades.

It isn't unheard of for a young person to dismiss the church, only to return to it at a later stage of life, when they have different needs and are in a different headspace and less invested in separating themselves from their elders.

As little as I like religion, and as much as I'd like you to be right, the complex dynamics of religious institutions lead me to expect that any decline will be gradual and multigenerational, and will proceed in fits and starts.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:46 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't know much about the topic, but I would be careful assuming that just because you see that any group is skewing older it means they are doomed. Remember that younger people are constantly aging into that demographic even as older ones are dying off. So long as that is in balance, it is not a given that the group is going to fizzle over the ensuing couple of decades.

It isn't unheard of for a young person to dismiss the church, only to return to it at a later stage of life, when they have different needs and are in a different headspace and less invested in separating themselves from their elders.

As little as I like religion, and as much as I'd like you to be right, the complex dynamics of religious institutions lead me to expect that any decline will be gradual and multigenerational, and will proceed in fits and starts.
Actually, I am astounded that it has taken this long to see any rational dismissal of some of the many irrational beliefs the religions perpetuate. As LearnMe reminds us, there is a very "slow maturing of humanity."

Old 02-16-2022, 07:53 AM

18,251 posts, read 16,951,533 times
It seems everyone is wising up to the religion scam. The Internet is educating people in a way that real life never could.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:26 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
I explained a few years back why the trend is this way in Western Culture:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/48097956-post27.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/48102352-post45.html

Old 02-17-2022, 01:22 PM

20,066 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It seems everyone is wising up to the religion scam. The Internet is educating people in a way that real life never could.
Yes the Internet is a disaster for all intellectual ghettoes, including those built by religion.

So is higher education.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's nothing surprising. It just mirrors the rest of America becoming less connected with churches. And why not? Churches - in general, but not all - have moved away from Jesus' message of unity and peace. Blacks would just be being smart, and not connecting themselves with religious fraud and bogusness. Good for them. That's a win for authenticity, and a blow to hypocrisy and nonsense.

I avoid churches too, and am way better off now keeping matters pure and without compromise. I don't need to be tracked and logged as a member of any group or building. I'll stay off the stupidity radar. God knows me and my actions, and that's all that matters.
Thats true...its strange that so many people do not seem to recognize...this world is ruled by Satan...but majority of 'church going' people are good and obedient secular citizens as well!!

How can someone be a good Christian...at the same time, as living a comfortable secular life, (in a world ruled by Satan?) LOL That is just not possible, you can only serve 1 master faithfully.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:12 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats true...its strange that so many people do not seem to recognize...this world is ruled by Satan...but majority of 'church going' people are good and obedient secular citizens as well!!

How can someone be a good Christian...at the same time, as living a comfortable secular life, (in a world ruled by Satan?) LOL That is just not possible, you can only serve 1 master faithfully.
What is a "Satan"? And why doesn't this "Satan" have any rule over me?

Maybe, just maybe it's because this figment of ancient, bronze age goat herders is not real at all. Just like their god?

Wadda you think? Possible?

Old 02-19-2022, 12:46 PM

18,251 posts, read 16,951,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Maybe, just maybe it's because this figment of ancient, bronze age goat herders is not real at all. Just like their god?

Definitely without doubt satan is a created entity. Old religions had their gods which represented good, and then because primitive people saw evil in the world they had to make up gods to represent the evil that good gods war with. So God and satan are nothing more than representations in the minds of primitive thinkers of this war between good and evil and of course good will win the day at some point. That's all played out in the elaborate fantasy of Jesus returning to earth to vanquish satan and set up some sort of kingdom where good thrives forever. Nice dream if you can buy it.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

"Satan" is the metaphorical and allegorical representation of the negative emotional energy that constrains you to come to a internet forum titled "Religion and Spirituality" and bash, interrogate, and mock Theist Faith/Beliefs and those that embrace them.
I understand that lacking a standard/normal perceptive ability that most (85%+) possess (God perception) could cause some angst...and I hope you are able to come to terms with the deficiency.
I will pray for you...and I suggest the Prayer Thread for additional prayer support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality