Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:00 PM

330 posts, read 265,574 times

Advertisements

In my early 30's and from what I have learned from my time on this earth is I don't believe for one second that there is a heaven and hell or people walking around after dying or any type of afterlife at all Just don't believe it at all.
The most logical approach is this:

As one gets older, they realize more and more that they will be leaving behind so much to the point where they simply don't want to die, they want to live on. They want to look upon their legacies and accomplishments they have left behind. They want to see their children and their children's children go on to represent their legacy. They want to remember every great thing that happened in their lives.

That is completely understandable, but ego is a trait for the living, NOT THE DEAD.

Death is just as beautiful as a child's birth. If you enter this world knowing nothing, why would you know anything when you leave it?

It truly is amazing that just about everyone on Earth can accept the beauty of birth, but a lot of people just cannot accept the beauty of death when they are the same exact thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 03:55 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
In my early 30's and from what I have learned from my time on this earth is I don't believe for one second that there is a heaven and hell or people walking around after dying or any type of afterlife at all Just don't believe it at all.

As one gets older, they realize more and more that they will be leaving behind so much to the point where they simply don't want to die, they want to live on. They want to look upon their legacies and accomplishments they have left behind. They want to see their children and their children's children go on to represent their legacy. They want to remember every great thing that happened in their lives.

That is completely understandable, but ego is a trait for the living, NOT THE DEAD.

Death is just as beautiful as a child's birth. If you enter this world knowing nothing, why would you know anything when you leave it?

It truly is amazing that just about everyone on Earth can accept the beauty of birth, but a lot of people just cannot accept the beauty of death when they are the same exact thing.
The belief in an afterlife is no more fueled by ego than is the desire to eat. You either believe it or you do not.

If I believed the grave was the end I certainly wouldn't waste time with those who thought otherwise...there's so much stuff to do and only so much time.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:21 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:

I don’t believe in any of that myself, but I also don’t cast judgment on people who do, except those whose beliefs prompt them to say and do bad things.

My mother was never especially religious, but religion, including the idea of life after death, carried more appeal for her as she reached the end of her battle for ALS.

Her death was not beautiful. It was very heartbreaking, and happened at far too young an age. As cliche as it might be, her illness and passing drove me over the line from agnostic to atheist. But unless it somehow harms someone else, I would not take away this cause for comfort from her, or anyone else facing such an end far before their time.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:36 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
There is easy, quick "die in your sleep" kind of death, and there is some long drawn out struggling kind of death with lot pain involved. And everything inbetween. But have never seen a "beautiful death". Though suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Birth isnt so easy for all those involved either.

I will leave it to others to contemplate an afterlife. Frankly all I have seen is dust to dust and ashes to ashes. Nobody I know got up and walked around once they died.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:04 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
There is easy, quick "die in your sleep" kind of death, and there is some long drawn out struggling kind of death with lot pain involved. And everything inbetween. But have never seen a "beautiful death". Though suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Birth isnt so easy for all those involved either.

I will leave it to others to contemplate an afterlife. Frankly all I have seen is dust to dust and ashes to ashes. Nobody I know got up and walked around once they died.
In fairness, I can see a certain “beauty” in death (symbolically speaking, at least), when someone is ready to go, peacefully, after a long and well-lived life. But many (and probably most) are not so fortunate.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
OP, you're in your 30s.

Come back in 30 more and tell us what you think.

I won't be here. But maybe somebody could learn from what you learned in that 2nd 30.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:34 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
In fairness, I can see a certain “beauty” in death (symbolically speaking, at least), when someone is ready to go, peacefully, after a long and well-lived life. But many (and probably most) are not so fortunate.
In the Bible ' death ' is an enemy.
However, Jesus will being an end to ' enemy death ' according to 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
Death will end for those in the graves because they can have a resurrection back to live life again.- Acts 24:15.
Resurrection Day will be Reunion Day to once again be with loved ones - Revelation 21:3-4.
Death will also end for the living on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37.
The figurative humble ' sheep ' are alive on Earth and they can continue to stay alive on Earth and be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' 1,000-year governmental reign over Earth.
With No more ' enemy death ' on Earth, then the majority of mankind can have the same original opportunity to live on Earth forever as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:44 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
.............Come back in 30 more and tell us what you think.
I won't be here. But maybe somebody could learn from what you learned in that 2nd 30.
30 years !
You most certainly can be here because the thousand-year reign of Christ over Earth is 'Not 30 years away'.
ALL who are considered as a figurative humble 'sheep' - Matthew 25:3-33,37 - will be alive here on Earth.
We are awaiting the soon coming ' final signal ', so to speak as found at 1st Thess. 5:2-3 when the powers that be will be saying, " Peace and Security..." This 'rosy-sounding saying' is the trigger for Jesus to come !

Old 04-16-2021, 11:10 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Many of the religious think they will be going to the afterlife as Bob because they "believed/had faith" in their savior and their mythical man made book told them so. I guess it just makes them feel better than the alternative of thinking you will be ceasing to exist forever.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times
Quote:

Modern day Bible scholarship as well as my personal opinion is that long held beliefs aren't Biblical. Rather:
Heaven is not for everyone
Resurrection is for the masses
No hell

So I agree there is no hell and that there is no afterlife when we die. I also agree that the birth of a child is beautiful
However, there is no beauty in death. Only a sting for those who remain to deal with the death. Especially those who lose their child. I do view death as nothing to be feared since we are not conscious of anything at all after death.

The ultimate beauty lies in the resurrection. Beautiful things die we see that in the physical world but every spring we see the beauty of life renewed. It's a reminder for us who believe that death doesn't have to be permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality