Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Which one of the nations won?

Which war. There were many. It went back and forth.

You see, the problem is that there is Buddhist thought within the individual, which in my view is true Buddhism, VERSUS governments using RELIGION as a cultural uniter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM

678 posts, read 429,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

My point is that what your thoughts are will affect how you live in the world, but will probably not very much affect the world condition.
I would like to think ever so slightly, maybe just a small impact on a couple of people. Maybe inner peace will be obtained but yeah, it's not like world peace will evolve from a single person's thoughts.

The radio DJ made the remark after the other DJ said he shut off his news feed and Facebook feed for the whole week and felt much better.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Budha?

like any other smart leader, he taught some good stuff.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
with the current brutal genocide (including tossing alive kids in the fire) and slaughtering the Rohingya community by the so called "Buddhists" in Myanmar/Burma, it doesn't look like these monks are actually following Buddha's teachings.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
with the current brutal genocide (including tossing alive kids in the fire) and slaughtering the Rohingya community by the so called "Buddhists" in Myanmar/Burma, it doesn't look like these monks are actually following Buddha's teachings.
Buddhism has a less checkered reputation in this area than some other religions but there are certainly substantial counterexamples like this one you cite here. Any ideology, particularly when it drives a cultural norm, can become tribalistic and paranoid, resulting in this sort of thing.

It is a vivid illustration of how religion does not automatically (if at all) provide meaningful moral guidance or ethical norms to its followers. Indeed, it can become a means to rationalize all sorts of bad behavior.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:36 PM

23,129 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Which war. There were many. It went back and forth.

You see, the problem is that there is Buddhist thought within the individual, which in my view is true Buddhism, VERSUS governments using RELIGION as a cultural uniter.

The bible says that Moses wasn't the first Moses, and the Passover was not the first Passover.

Amos
7"Are you not as the sons of Ethiopia to Me, O sons of Israel?" declares the LORD. "Have I not brought up Israel from the land of Egypt, And the Philistines from Caphtor and the Arameans from Kir? 8"Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are on the sinful kingdom, And I will destroy it from the face of the earth; Nevertheless, I will not totally destroy the house of Jacob," Declares the LORD.…

This implies that God goes to all nations where two fight or one oppresses the other and in this way people bend their knee to God and ask for help just like the Israelites cried out for freedom and were sent a great prophet.

I was wondering if there was a case like this.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-18-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 04:43 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
True. And that is the "religion" side of Buddhism.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:28 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
With our thoughts we make the world. And if your thoughts are filled with strife and angst that is the world you will occupy.
No one really knows exactly by now what Sukyamuni taught. For hundreds of years it was oral tradition before it was made into written canons. Every one who orally relayed by far relayed his or her personal interpretation into it so did scribes and others who inevitably had good intentions and wanted to approve anything.
I'd rather go with the old Latin Fama Est. It's been said.
But there is good sense to what is quoted.
Everything comes out of amorphous Substance by the Light of Intelligence, aka Consciousness. Human thinking is part of the The Light.
Human thinking is what gives form to the world as it is. Human thinking carries in it "designs" that elementals implement into building the world, as we know it, into a solid form.
In that respect indeed, what you think is what you occupy.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
True. And that is the "religion" side of Buddhism.
Precisely. It sucks when religion gets in front of a way of life doesn't it?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Precisely. It sucks when religion gets in front of a way of life doesn't it?
Indeed it does.

Which is why, albeit reluctantly - because of an instinctive aversion to labeling - I made peace perching under the umbrella of animism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality