Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 30,027,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
As a CHristian, I have always questions the motives of Fundamentalists teachings .. especially some sects who still SHUN members of the church (especially women as in the Mormon and Christian Science folk ( run and organized with MALES being the dictator of the interpretation of their particular SECT!!
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about in terms of Mormon women. Nobody is told to shun anybody in my Church, and no males are "dictators."

Old 09-02-2017, 02:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,431,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about in terms of Mormon women. Nobody is told to shun anybody in my Church, and no males are "dictators."
We need clarification right from a source..thank you, Katzpur!! xxoo

Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,944,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We need clarification right from a source..thank you, Katzpur!! xxoo
I'd say we need clarification from the acccuser; those are fairly vague assertions and a little more about what is meant by them and what support there is for them seems appropriate before Katz explains what is NOT being said, ya know?

Maybe starting with the positon of the current Prophet and whatever the board is called would be a place to start though. Could they be construed as "male dictators?" Even if that is not what is intended by the assertion, it might shed a little light for those of us ignorant of the organiztion and the limits of power.

Up to Katz I'd say if there is no response from the one making the assertions.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,041,835 times
We need to make sure we do not make curses against people which the devil will answer and hurt others , which in turn we should watch our words to bless others , like we could call sickness on others if we listen to the devil , and people can get hurt ...... If we offend others who hate us it is best to pray blessing on these people who we offended even if they will never forgive us , as then we would be children of God

Old 09-02-2017, 07:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,431,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'd say we need clarification from the accuser;..
We're gonna drop it ..he already said, 'well he really knows ''nuttin''...his posts were deleted.
He misspoke...it's all good. We're moving fwd. (Some of this happened behind the scenes.)
Sometimes we all say things we think are true from lack of info.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
We're gonna drop it ..he already said, 'well he really knows ''nuttin''...his posts were deleted.
He misspoke...it's all good. We're moving fwd. (Some of this happened behind the scenes.)
Sometimes we all say things we think are true from lack of info.
Who, Me? No way...... honest .

Old 09-02-2017, 09:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
I'd say we need clarification from the acccuser; those are fairly vague assertions and a little more about what is meant by them and what support there is for them seems appropriate before Katz explains what is NOT being said, ya know?
I'm not actually certain what the "accuser" meant, which is why I addressed the charge of shunning and dictating men as simply as as straightforwardly as I could. If the "accuser" would like to be more specific, I'll be happy to be more specific in my next response.

Quote:
Maybe starting with the positon of the current Prophet and whatever the board is called would be a place to start though. Could they be construed as "male dictators?" Even if that is not what is intended by the assertion, it might shed a little light for those of us ignorant of the organization and the limits of power.
The "board" is called the Quorum of the Twelve (i.e. Apostles). As in Jesus' day, they are all men. This does not mean that women have no authority. The Church's "Relief Society," an educational and philanthropic organization is one of the oldest and largest women's organizations in the world. Its membership exceeds 6 million women in 170 countries, and it is governed by three women, all of whom have college degrees and all of whom are highly qualified to hold their positions. They report directly to the President of the Church and his two counselors.

Women anciently were disciples of Jesus Christ. That's what we consider ourselves today, and we are proud of that calling. Women offer prayers before LDS congregations and speak to the entire congregation in our worship services. They also teach classes in which the attendees are both men and women.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 PM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
And the question is why. Is there NO reasonable response? Is the only defense of the rationale to get mad at perceived insults?

Can we actually GET a reasoned response that makes sense to anyone? The closest I have seen is justifiable genocide.

Does anyone really believe that is al God was capable of?

Is there a reasoned response?
My questions exactly, nate. You expressed them well.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My questions exactly, nate. You expressed them well.
And no reasoned responses yet.....

Old 09-02-2017, 11:26 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
Quote:
Why? Because most of us that are not Fundies have said clearly that we think that much
in the Old Testament (not all, read Ps 139! or Ps 37:4) is barbaric, savage, primitive, superstitious...and many have said
only idiots would still believe that 'nonsense'... I have said this is why God gave us a brain to be
able to see that this is not the way things really are/were...it is full of blame and misinterpretations
of Who God is...liking blood sacrifices are like throwing virgins into volcanoes...same primitive , yet innocent/ignorant mind set.

Well, I hear ya...you 'who will not be named' , that you consider these insults...and so you began to attack back...I myself saw a change in you...when I thought at first we got along fine/respectfully.

So, gang...how do we express our insight, thoughts, realizations without saying words like barbaric?
I'm not here to hurt people's feelings.
However, someone may have the opinion that sometimes you have to...this needs some thought and clarity to be shared amounst us.
Thanks
Miss H, in days gone by long past I found many of your posts upbeat and positive, but I have to say that the shine on your lamp is not only tarnished but utterly extinguished. when anyone talks this way they are more than anything revealing who they are and what is in their own heart. it does not inspire respect, and it taints any supposed message of "love" because it is anything but.

of course apologies are in order.
and after pages and pages, they are still not stated.

the only amends that really mean anything are changed behavior.
i don't see that either.

you wouldn't be asking if you didn't realize it was appropriate.
and yet the thread just seems to be more of the same justify, defend, rationalize, blame.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-03-2017 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.