Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,093,940 times

Advertisements

Just be available and do what is told of you. Go to any meetings that you might be asked to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,389,070 times
I was raised as a Protestant. but have been favored with a close friendship with a Catholic couple for many years, and was offered a similar honor when their son was born. There is very little formality to the ceremony, and I'm sure you'll be easily informed as to what's expected.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,647,673 times
to OP
It aint about you.
If it is about you just decline based on faith.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to OP
It aint about you.
If it is about you just decline based on faith.
This seems to be a concept that is difficult for some people to grasp. All you are doing is reassuring the parents that the child will be given the opportunity to follow their religion in the event the parents are not alive. It is ALL about the child

This is a concept that some divorced and "warring" ex-spouses seem unwilling to get. Their desire for vengeance or punishment of their Ex overrides what should be their concern for the well-being of the children. They lie and misrepresent the Ex in an attempt to gain full custody and make it impossible for their Ex to even see the children. This may satisfy their need for vengeance but it irreparably harms the children when there is no real abuse or danger to the children from the Ex.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What I would do is wonder why infant baptism is practised when there is No infant baptism in Scripture.
Before public Christian baptism a person needs to make his or her own dedication to God to do God's will.
No one was used as a godfather or a godmother for anyone in Scripture.
Minor children are already covered by believing parents according to 1st Corinthians 7:14.
You know why. It's been discussed many times. You just don't agree with Christian Traditions that are not delineated in the Bible.

Same old same old. The guy asked a question. No need to try to pick a fight.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,590,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Gonna be The Godfather to my friends kid what do I do during the baptism ceremony?

Try a good long fart. That usually livens things up.
Would be nice if you could contribute something useful and respectful to this sincere question of the OP.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Would be nice if you could contribute something useful and respectful to this sincere question of the OP.
I think he was joking. Rather than being disrespectful to the O.P. I think he was trying to poke fun at the idea of Baptism ceremonies to begin with and how uptight they would normally be or be perceived to be (enough to have to O.P. sweating over what they are supposed to do).

I did find it annoying that no one was being very specific to the O.P.
But as it goes, you only take offense because you feel that your love for the baptism religious ritual has been verbally attacked. The O.P. didn't seem to share the same love for that particular ritual, and I doubt Radfius was directing his #8 post remark at you.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,899,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think he was joking. Rather than being disrespectful to the O.P. I think he was trying to poke fun at the idea of Baptism ceremonies to begin with and how uptight they would normally be or be perceived to be (enough to have to O.P. sweating over what they are supposed to do).

I did find it annoying that no one was being very specific to the O.P.
But as it goes, you only take offense because you feel that your love for the baptism religious ritual has been verbally attacked. The O.P. didn't seem to share the same love for that particular ritual, and I doubt Radfius was directing his #8 post remark at you.
Don't expect a Christian to have a sense of humour. Their lives revolves around misery and self-hatred. What else would you expect from members of a blood cult.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,816 times
Quote:
Don't expect a Christian to have a sense of humour. Their lives revolves around misery and self-hatred. What else would you expect from members of a blood cult.
I'm sure M5150 has a great sense of humor when it comes to things that don't tug at his heart-strings. Also, Christianity is about the practitioner seeing themselves in (or purposefully brining upon themselves) misery, self-hatred, happiness, and self-love. I know plenty of Christians that wallow in happiness and self-love. The blood stuff is really inconsequential to their general mood (outside the specific times that they use it to sadden themselves or feel happy about imaginarily bathing in it [yes, I have seen this plenty of times]) and is probably only used to foment chemical responses and emotional attachment.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,590,696 times
Quote:
Poor attempt at backpedaling. One of the more bizarre posts of all time. Is it my guess you'd be cool with a loud fart at a wedding? Oh wait, that would be in poor taste! And not taken as funny by all present. You would never do such a thing (I would hope, but I could be wrong). Oh wait, I was only joking! The bride and groom have no sense of humor.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-02-2017 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality