Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,175,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You'd be considered an "agnostic". A true atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic simply doesn't know.

Incidentally, Romans 1 says there is no such thing as a true atheist. People know by looking at nature, at the universe that something created it.
Complete nonsense. Looking at nature does not suggest a creator. This is nonsense theist attempt to create doubt. The fact is that we don't know and are looking for verifiable answers, which is the intellectually honest thing to do and not just insert a god.

OP, you're an agnostic concerning an unknown possible god, yet atheist to claimed gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 AM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I believe there is something greater than human life but accept that humans will never know.
If you personify this "something greater" and ascribe agency to it then you are nominally a believer in at least one deity, which means you're not an atheist.

I would say you're an agnostic theist.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You'd be considered an "agnostic". A true atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic simply doesn't know.
To be more precise, an atheist doesn't afford belief to even one deity ... and doesn't assume that the question is limited to whether there is or is not "a" specific god.

Atheism is about seeing no justifiable reason to believe in a thing, so it's about belief, not knowledge.

Most atheists ARE agnostics.

Most theists ARE gnostics.

But there are a few gnostic atheists, and a few agnostic theists. I think the OP is an agnostic theist, which you misidentify as the definition of an agnostic.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If you still suspect that God exists you are not an atheist by definition.
Not exactly.

I think there's some teensy possibility that some god exists somewhere or somewhen, I just don't think it at all likely or relevant and see no evidence for it.

I will say that if one's judgment of the "odds of gods" are anywhere out of the single digits, then they are probably not atheist in the sense that most of us are. But strictly speaking, the key question is whether the OP actually believes in at least one god, not whether he is conflicted about it conceptually.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you personify this "something greater" and ascribe agency to it then you are nominally a believer in at least one deity, which means you're not an atheist.

I would say you're an agnostic theist.
I'd use the term 'irreligious theist' rather than agnostics, because we are all really agnostics - we don't Know, but theism or not relates to what we believe.

This simple distinction is one of the most widespread global misunderstandings that I know of. Even atheists don't get it, half the time.
r

Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
To be more precise, an atheist doesn't afford belief to even one deity ... and doesn't assume that the question is limited to whether there is or is not "a" specific god.

Atheism is about seeing no justifiable reason to believe in a thing, so it's about belief, not knowledge.

But there are a few gnostic atheists, and a few agnostic theists. I think the OP is an agnostic theist, which you misidentify as the definition of an agnostic.
I'd be willing to go with that.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quite. Even an atheists will accept the possibility of a god of some sort, but see no persuasive evidence for it, so not believing there is one is the logical conclusions.

Particular gods and holy books and their religions (though technically one can never claim the "100%" certainty) is what we reject and say 'Does not exist' and that is normally the one we are talking about.

So are the theists, most often (if not they tend to call themselves "Agnostics") and the "All the same God" is a play that we saw of the "it all means submission to Allah" discussion that is going on.

It is an apologetic ploy to claim that your god and religion are the right ones, and you skip over the differences in religion by saying it is the same god, and even if the implication is that the others are worshipping the same God, that is really an apologetics trick. As we saw with the Khalif fruit- analogy, they are nit the same religion and it not regarded as worshipping the same God, even if the claim is that it is the only true one.

It is a crafty cover -up of saying "my god is the only true one and all the other religions and their personal gods are false and wrong.

There are those who argue "many paths to god". That are quite different. They are much more the "Agnostic" or Irreligious theist type, and I can accept their position much more than the "All the same God" religious theist.

I might say that the difference is that one has a faith more related to their Holy Book (even if they have to re-write it) and the other has a faith more in their feelings. I may not agree with with their interpretation of their feelings, but I certainly won't say 'Does not exist".

Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Please stop making up or using false definitions. This is one of the reasons, I suppise, there is a thread on how we can all get along. So you got to definitions out of two wrong however there is no prize for doing that. On another thread you made statements on who were and we're not Christians. And to those that posted on the Oreen thread, this is one of the reasons atheist post on this forum, to correct the falsehoods about atheists that some believers spread.
And the poor tortured atheists *never* spread falsehoods about believers because those atheist are such good, true, honest little souls....
bylpph

Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,342,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And the poor tortured atheists *never* spread falsehoods about believers because those atheist are such good, true, honest little souls....
bylpph
Well perhaps the believers can correct atheists then when we give a falsehood? Would you like it better if we just kept quiet and believers could say anything they want about atheists with never being challenged or corrected? If you go back and read my statement I said one of the reasons that atheists are on forums like this is to correct falsehoods about atheists made by believers. I at no time claimed we were better and believers are terrible people. BaptistFundie did give wrong information and , if I read correctly, he has altered his definitions after being corrected by mordant. If you were offended by my post, tough as there was nothing offensive about it. Kaspur corrects others in their thoughts about Mormons and a couple of Muslims correct people about what they think about Islam and you and your fellow Christians can correct false thoughts non Christians have about Christianity. That way we all learn about the falsehoods we hold about other belief or non belief groups.

Unless of course one does not wish to know about other groups and would rather simply attack them because they are the other.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
bylpph
We don't claim to be perfect, but our entire rationale is geared towards seeing things as they are, while the Theist's mental mindset is geared towards manipulating things as they are to fit what they believe, so...yes, aside from your well -poisoning delivery that essentially hits the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality