Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I answered my question (because you asked) and others have answered the question. I just find it interesting, was wondering more about people's backgrounds and am comfortable with my beliefs. If no one else feels like answering that is completely fine and I'd rather have it stop here than have people get defensive, derail the thread and try to get under each other's skin.
you are aware that the word "dogma" as you use it in this thread topic is perjorative, aren't you?
that it has a very different feeling tone than "beliefs" or "opinions" or "spiritual path" or "religion" or "background" or "family of origin" or "dominant cultural beliefs" or "world view" or "paradigm" or "views" or "spiritual nourishment" or "inspiration" or "faith" or "spirituality" or "tenets" or "guiding principles"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
do you not understand that any topic raised in the religion and spirituality forum certainly applies to atheists as well? For instance the dogma of atheists often embraces a stance of intellectual superiority and is outpictured and demonstrated by the use of perjorative terms. example: "dogma"
Your opinion only and thanks for not bothering to answer the other question. Guess the Christian dogma is to label non believers as god haters. These are not examples of dogma. The air of superiority often comes out of your own posts.

Again what is an example of dogma from atheist.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I stopped when I was about 12.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:30 PM

115 posts, read 98,159 times
That's what I think. dogma is faith. We can have faith on anything. Like, I have faith good things happens to honest people. Religion is having dogma of one God. When my plans broke down and I was down, later on when a better thing happened than I planned, I realized there is a systematic way and I'm not just running in the dark.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Your opinion only and thanks for not bothering to answer the other question. Guess the Christian dogma is to label non believers as god haters. These are not examples of dogma. The air of superiority often comes out of your own posts.

Again what is an example of dogma from atheist.
sure thing.
dogma "a principle or set of principles laid down as incontrovertibly true"
"something held as an established opinion, a definite authoritative tenet"
"a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds"

samples from right here on CD, all direct quotes:

I get a charge out of seeing people arguing over the proper interpretation of complete nonsense.
The campaign for irreligion may be the most important thing going on in the USA at the moment.
I look in and see them fencing with Biblequotes and i think "what a way to spend a life"
prayer doesn't work
what it says is insupportable superstitious nonsense.
it boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist
God doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive.
once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God
we can decide whether we want to know or whether we want to just believe.
believers have no valid basis for their "Knowledge" other than feelings and experiences which they only think they understand
whereas atheists have knowledge which we know is entirely justified.
I'd want to be the 1st in line to tell him what a sick evil ahole he is for allowing so much violence, torment, disease, and turmoil
atheists use their cognitive processes more effectively
there is no logical reason to postulate a god
God is a concept for people who can't accept reality, or who need to feel important, or aren't smart enough to question
comforting lies.
clueless people
failed to be substantiated... shown to be the result of human illusion, delusion and misperception.
amputees prayed to get missing limbs back and haven't got them
Ask your god to eliminate all forms of cancer by mid-day tomorrow. We'll wait.
special snowflake!
Religion is a Form of Insanity
it is not grounded in reality, and being separated from reality is PSYCHOTIC BY DEFINITION, and leads to psychotic behavior
"delusion" is "a belief strongly held despite invalidating evidence." I'd say most religion falls into that category.
religion provides a haven for those who have difficulty accepting reality and prefer living in a make-believe world

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-28-2017 at 12:15 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 03:01 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
To here dogma is unquestionable truth and never debatable ....As to here when I discovered that Jesus was real and I could know Him and His truth , is when believing in Jesus authored dogmas was the most practicable thing to do , before that I never had a witness of Jesus Christ so dogma was never understood ..

Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
sure thing.
dogma "a principle or set of principles laid down as incontrovertibly true"
"something held as an established opinion, a definite authoritative tenet"
"a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds"

samples from right here on CD, all direct quotes:

I get a charge out of seeing people arguing over the proper interpretation of complete nonsense.
The campaign for irreligion may be the most important thing going on in the USA at the moment.
I look in and see them fencing with Biblequotes and i think "what a way to spend a life"
prayer doesn't work
what it says is insupportable superstitious nonsense.
it boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist
God doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive.
once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God
we can decide whether we want to know or whether we want to just believe.
believers have no valid basis for their "Knowledge" other than feelings and experiences which they only think they understand
whereas atheists have knowledge which we know is entirely justified.
I'd want to be the 1st in line to tell him what a sick evil ahole he is for allowing so much violence, torment, disease, and turmoil
atheists use their cognitive processes more effectively
there is no logical reason to postulate a god
God is a concept for people who can't accept reality, or who need to feel important, or aren't smart enough to question
comforting lies.
clueless people
failed to be substantiated... shown to be the result of human illusion, delusion and misperception.
amputees prayed to get missing limbs back and haven't got them
Ask your god to eliminate all forms of cancer by mid-day tomorrow. We'll wait.
special snowflake!
Religion is a Form of Insanity
it is not grounded in reality, and being separated from reality is PSYCHOTIC BY DEFINITION, and leads to psychotic behavior
"delusion" is "a belief strongly held despite invalidating evidence." I'd say most religion falls into that category.
religion provides a haven for those who have difficulty accepting reality and prefer living in a make-believe world
I do try and clean up our side of the street traz. I ask that you guys do too.

"god said so" is never a good reason, for anything. Stating why you are doing something without those words, "God said so", is more reasonable.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 AM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:
you are aware that the word "dogma" as you use it in this thread topic is perjorative, aren't you?
that it has a very different feeling tone than "beliefs" or "opinions" or "spiritual path" or "religion" or "background" or "family of origin" or "dominant cultural beliefs" or "world view" or "paradigm" or "views" or "spiritual nourishment" or "inspiration" or "faith" or "spirituality" or "tenets" or "guiding principles"
I didn't realize and didn't think some people would find it so offensive. Truth with a capital T is mentioned on here so I think goes beyond beliefs so I thought the OP was appropriate. But I'm sorry if I offended you. I know plenty of people have ignorance and prejudice on here with my religion so I guess we need thick skin to be on here . However, I'm probably less likely to read your posts in the future because a lot of your posts seem intentionally trying to offend and stir things up, where as others are more civil and trying to explain and teach.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
if talking about dogma is "non controversial" then certainly including the dogma of atheists is "non controversial" as well. Yet it seems to bother you. Does the mere mention of atheists bother you so much? Does applying the topic of this discussion thread to atheists bother you so much?
As I suspected, the "Dogma" accusation is based on a musunderstanding and indeed misrepresentation for polemic reasons of the actual methods and rationale of atheism.

Non belief is a conclusion - not a dogma.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As I suspected, the "Dogma" accusation is based on a musunderstanding and indeed misrepresentation for polemic reasons of the actual methods and rationale of atheism.
The dogma of atheism is based on a misunderstanding and indeed misrepresentation of the actual methods and function and rationale of the beliefs in a person's life. Many atheists on these boards post purely for polemic reasons. See list of examples given in post #19 which are direct quotes from CD

po·lem·ic
noun
a strong verbal or written attack on someone or something.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-28-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality