Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
one of my all time favorite topics is miracles
tell us about how miracles are viewed in your tradition. what place do miracles hold in your faith, in your religion, in your relationship with the Divine, in your life.
and if miracles are not part of your faith tradition, not part of your life, why not? what are your views on miracles and why do you reject miracles?
Miracles play no role in my relationship with God. I have no need of them but I do not reject them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I totally believe in the G-d of miracles, and I have been blessed to receive some, and to see some other people's in my walk. Peace
What is your definition of a miracle, if I might ask?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Whether "miracles" exist or not I see no purpose for them in realizing the value of or living out faith in the Way Jesus taught. They seem to be used to bolster something people are not sure of and I don't really understand why they would not be that sure.
I just don't get it, but it seems to be true.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
God through Jesus has miracles every day for here , as if I get a pain , I pay authority of the believer prayers and the pain is gone in 30 seconds .... Then another miracles is on my job we do many different jobs for different customers, and we have to wait for out sourcing , and when a job come up God gives me an idea of a job , and that very day the job show up at the door of the shop to require more work from me......See God is a bonus one step ahead

Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
What place do they hold?
Hahaha, I depend on them!
I need them every second!...like an angel being kept busy watching over me constantly
when I 'almost ' kill myself tripping , almost hit a parked car , almost
slam my finger in a door, almost slip on the dog's water driplets, should I go on?
I depend on the miracle of God protecting me ALL the time.
Oh, the time I was moving that full 5 gallon jug and tripped....don't ask...the miracle of my protection bubble is big.

But, we know, miracles are completely natural occurrences...even the healings I'm asked to do...not me, we all know...all natural.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

tell us about how miracles are viewed in your tradition. what place do miracles hold in your faith, in your religion, in your relationship with the Divine, in your life.

and if miracles are not part of your faith tradition, not part of your life, why not? what are your views on miracles and why do you reject miracles?
the words power and probability come to mind.

power as in work./time. In other words, how much energy would be required to change the state from where it is to where we thought it was. basically, how many joules and meters are used up to change it back as fast as I saw it change.

Probability is what it is. we don't know what happened but we know most, if not all, the outcomes. So for example car wrecks. Record the number of events. we will see some that walk away from serous impacts and others that don't with impacts we thought people would be fine.

How about Medical miracles? Well, record the number of them in a hospital over the last 10 years. You will make a nice prediction in the number for next year. Again, due to my nature, I have to look at the opposite set of interactions. How many people ended up worse than predicted when they went into the hospital?

all in all, there is no "poof there it is". We have to address the very real claim that when we study miracles the magic goes away. Unless one believes in a bozeman brain, but that is almost exactly the same as "poof there it is". I personally don't care how long I wait, all the molecules in my body will not suddenly be a table. Although I will admit they have been know to form into a jack arse every now and again.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God through Jesus has miracles every day for here , as if I get a pain , I pay authority of the believer prayers and the pain is gone in 30 seconds .... Then another miracles is on my job we do many different jobs for different customers, and we have to wait for out sourcing , and when a job come up God gives me an idea of a job , and that very day the job show up at the door of the shop to require more work from me......See God is a bonus one step ahead
That's remarkable, considering the number of homeless Christians I see on the side of the road with the "God Bless" signs. Does this make you feel special in your God's eyes?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:04 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Are god and jesus two different entities to you?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:03 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Miracles are things you can't explain, but you'd rather call them a miracle than a "rare event" or investigate the possible causes. Why? Because it strengthens your faith and makes you feel happier for the event.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:

They play or used to play a major role.

I went to an open job fair after I finished college. There were surely 10000 people, and only 500 or so people were shortlisted. I knew it was going to be difficult, but thought I will get through.( I failed in the interview though) . And I did. I also left my bike s key in the bike itself for the whole day. And it was untouched. That was a bigger miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality