Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,051,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, it is. I'm not even sure that "intellect" is a proper term, though "consciousness" seems inescapable if there is some kind of "behind or within the universe." Can they be separate?
You have been at this site far longer, so I bow to my elder, you tell me.

Offhand, in the realm of awareness I would guess that distinctions are there but no separation.

Just look in a thesaurus for the possibilities - consciousness, sentience, knowledge, memory, wisdom, intellect etcetera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Hold aloft the light and stand firm to thy post,
Till all wandering souls have reached their goal in safety.
Service brings strength and renewed life,
Love cures all weariness,
And Faith, the shining jewel of life, performs all miracles.
Swami Paramananda

Old 08-31-2017, 03:17 AM

8,360 posts, read 273,851 times
"To the dignified station of love I was raised,
And from the favours of the people I was freed.
Like a candle I was melted in this assembly,
By being burnt, in the divine mysteries I was initiated."

Sarmad

Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
"To the dignified station of love I was raised,
And from the favours of the people I was freed.
Like a candle I was melted in this assembly,
By being burnt, in the divine mysteries I was initiated."

Sarmad

Wonderful! Is he Sarmad Kashani (ca 1590-1661), the Persian mystic?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM

8,360 posts, read 273,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Wonderful! Is he Sarmad Kashani (ca 1590-1661), the Persian mystic?
Indeed.
Here is a website about him and his poetry.

Poetry Chaikhana | Sarmad - Muslim/Sufi - Poetry, Biography, Books

Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
May peace harmonious bless this realm;
May it be ever free from maladies and war;
May there be harvest rich and increased yield of grain;
May everyone delight in righteousness;
May no perverted thought find entry to our minds;
May all thoughts ever pious be and lead us to religious success.
Milarepa

Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Science, as some wise man has said, "makes major contributions to minor needs." Religion, whether or not it comes up with anything, at least is at work on the things that are truly important.
Peter Gruber

Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
One mode of the divine teaching is the incarnation of the spirit in a form,—in forms, like my own. I live in society, with persons who answer to thoughts in my own mind, or express a certain obedience to the great instincts to which I live. I see its presence to them. I am certified of a common nature; and these other souls, these separated selves, draw me as nothing else can. They stir in me the new emotions we call passion; of love, hatred, fear, admiration, pity; thence come conversation, competition, persuasion, cities and war. Persons are supplementary to the primary teaching of the soul. In youth we are mad for persons. Childhood and youth see all the world in them.

But the larger experience of man discovers the identical nature appearing through them all. Persons themselves acquaint us with the impersonal. In all conversation between two persons tacit reference is made, as to a third party, to a common nature. That third party or common nature is not social; it is impersonal; is God.

And so in groups where debate is earnest, and especially on high questions, the company become aware that the thought rises to an equal level in all bosoms, that all have a spiritual property in what was said, as well as the sayer. They all become wiser than they were. It arches over them like a temple, this unity of thought in which every heart beats with nobler sense of power and duty, and thinks and acts with unusual solemnity. All are conscious of attaining to a higher self-possession. It shines for all. There is a certain wisdom of humanity which is common to the greatest men with the lowest, and which our ordinary education often labors to silence and obstruct.

The mind is one, and the best minds, who love truth for its own sake, think much less of property in truth. They accept it thankfully everywhere, and do not label or stamp it with any man’s name, for it is theirs long beforehand, and from eternity. The learned and the studious of thought have no monopoly of wisdom. Their violence of direction in some degree disqualifies them to think truly. We owe many valuable observations to people who are not very acute or profound, and who say the thing without effort which we want and have long been hunting in vain.

The action of the soul is oftener in that which is felt and left unsaid than in that which is said in any conversation. It broods over every society, and they unconsciously seek for it in each other. We know better than we do. We do not yet possess ourselves, and we know at the same time that we are much more. I feel the same truth how often in my trivial conversation with my neighbors, that somewhat higher in each of us overlooks this by-play, and Jove nods to Jove from behind each of us.
From the famous 1841 Essay by Emerson on the "Oversoul."

Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,782,761 times
Quote:
Look at the man who likes to have his own way. His soul is never at peace and he is always discontented: this is not right and that us not as it should be. But the man who is entirely given over to the will of God can pray with a pure mind, his soul loves the Lord, and he finds everything pleasant and agreeable.
Saint Silouan the Athonite .......Wisdom from Mount Athos

Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
The philosophy of six thousand years has not
searched the chambers and magazines of the soul.
In its experiments there has always remained, in
the last analysis, a residuum it could not resolve.
Man is a stream whose source is hidden. Our being
is descending into us from we know not whence.
The most exact calculator has no prescience that
somewhat incalculable may not balk the very next
moment. I am constrained every moment to acknowledge
a higher origin for events than the will I call mine.

As with events, so is it with thoughts. When I
watch that flowing river, which, out of regions I see
not, pours for a season its streams into me, I see
that I am a pensioner; not a cause but a surprised
spectator of this ethereal water; that I desire and
look up and put myself in the attitude of reception,
but from some alien energy the visions come.

From RW Emerson's 1841 essay The Over-Soul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality