Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM

23,261 posts, read 10,543,897 times

Advertisements

3 babies under 3 years old with the baby sitter and the mother were in the bathtub when the tornado cut the house in half and left them safe.

Where that house sits, I watched a house destroyed on the same property, 35 years ago.

Lucky, Lucky people or are they cursed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,121,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
So once again I am completely baffled about all the prayers believers wish upon others after tornadoes go through. Here are some things to consider.
1. All things are supposed to happen according to the will of this bible god
2. Some people's houses get destroyed while others are untouched. Impossible to know whether the ones destroyed had families that "sinned" more than the other families
3. So what exactly are the prayers for? That they "recover" quickly" from this disaster?
4. So god let's the tornado happen, and then the prayers are for this god to give them comfort?

This praying during disasters has to be the most idiotic thing. I never see any god walking around these disaster sites after it's hit. No sign whatsoever. The believers say this god is invisible but yet helping. Yes about enough evidence of helpful invisible pixies walking around helping. Ever notice how all the chainsaws cutting down trees and all the houses being rebuilt are the result of human activity?

Praying: Acting like you are doing something, when you are actually doing sh**.
Why are you so angry? Are you another one of those that is angry at a God he doesn't believe in, or has life just not gone your way?

Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
We are angry because we see a con -trick.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:53 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,851,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
3 babies under 3 years old with the baby sitter and the mother were in the bathtub when the tornado cut the house in half and left them safe.
In a bathtub? Which was in a bathroom, no? (just a hunch!) Absent a cellar, bathrooms during tornadoes are specifically recommended by numerous authorities as they tend to be small rooms (which are stronger than larger rooms) and often in the middle of homes and thus with no windows (stronger still, and won't easily let in lethal flying debris). It is thought that the plumbing in the walls of bathrooms also provides some additional structural integrity to the rooms. Finally, bathtub shells are also specifically recommended as places to go if you have to take refuge in a bathroom - if there is a tub, of course.

These site all specifically recommend bathtubs:
Bathtubs Provide Shelter During Tornadoes
Tornado Safety (Online Tornado FAQ)
Safest Places to Be During a Tornado -- Emergency Medical Services Authority

Quote:
Where that house sits, I watched a house destroyed on the same property, 35 years ago.
And?

So?

Some cars are in fender-benders, and then later totaled. Do you think it was the 'hand of God' that prevented all the occupants from being killed and their Pathfinder completely totaled when a Civic hit it from behind at 6 mph in the supermarket parking lot, but that God was busy elsewhere when it was destroyed with four fatalities when it was t-boned by a truck doing 60 mph a few years later? Or could it maybe have something to do with the fact that the latter incident involved subjecting the Pathfinder to exponentially more kinetic energy at the collision?

Quote:
Lucky, Lucky people or are they cursed?
Just lucky, I guess. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that, finding themselves with no better option, they followed guidelines for using the means at their disposal to mitigate risk as best they could and took refuge in the tub...

Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 AM

16,740 posts, read 15,757,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why are you so angry? Are you another one of those that is angry at a God he doesn't believe in, or has life just not gone your way?
How can anyone be angry at something he believes does not even exist?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:43 AM

331 posts, read 317,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
How can anyone be angry at something he believes does not even exist?

However, that is precisely what research indicates occurs. The following is from a 2016 issue of Psychology Today:
For example, in research published last week by the American Psychological Association (link is external), two studies were conducted on relational and emotional factors that may influence those holding atheistic or agnostic views. In both studies, for instance, research participants rated, on a scale from 0 to 10, the extent to which they were influenced by “experiences of disappointment, anger, hurt, alienation, mistrust, or other negative feelings focused on God; seeing God as cruel, uncaring, or punishing.”

In the first of two studies, 171 American adults were asked about their reasons for nonbelief, as well as emotions they felt toward a god or gods that they hypothetically imagined, and various indicators of negative emotionality. Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles.

This new research is consistent with the results of earlier research (link is external) showing that 44% of atheists self-reported that at least some of their doubts, or at least some of their decision not to believe in God, were due to emotional reasons. These individuals, whom the researchers called “emotionally engaged atheists,” were more characterized by negative emotionality, as well as stronger negative reactions to stressful events, compared with non-emotionally engaged atheists.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:11 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,335,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
However, that is precisely what research indicates occurs. The following is from a 2016 issue of Psychology Today:
For example, in research published last week by the American Psychological Association (link is external), two studies were conducted on relational and emotional factors that may influence those holding atheistic or agnostic views. In both studies, for instance, research participants rated, on a scale from 0 to 10, the extent to which they were influenced by “experiences of disappointment, anger, hurt, alienation, mistrust, or other negative feelings focused on God; seeing God as cruel, uncaring, or punishing.”

In the first of two studies, 171 American adults were asked about their reasons for nonbelief, as well as emotions they felt toward a god or gods that they hypothetically imagined, and various indicators of negative emotionality. Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles.

This new research is consistent with the results of earlier research (link is external) showing that 44% of atheists self-reported that at least some of their doubts, or at least some of their decision not to believe in God, were due to emotional reasons. These individuals, whom the researchers called “emotionally engaged atheists,” were more characterized by negative emotionality, as well as stronger negative reactions to stressful events, compared with non-emotionally engaged atheists.
One has to remember that, while an actual god may not exist, the concept of God does ... and billions believe it is more than just a concept but an actual entity. To make matters worse, people make decisions and alter their behaviors based on the existence of said entity. Therefore, God is real in a sense.

The issue isn't really about being angry at the God itself but at the concept of God. Unfortunately, the God of the Bible was written to be exceptionally cruel, capricious, malicious, and sadistic -- not to mention that God is an egomaniac, narcissist, megalomaniac, and an authoritarian dictator.

It *does* get upsetting sometimes wondering why on earth anyone would worship and praise such an entity, one that is so obviously lacking any moral standards that humans can even see much less recognize. Despite this god committing unspeakable atrocities, such as the infamous case of sending a couple of bears to tear apart 42 children merely for calling one of God's prophets "old baldhead," people continue to lavish praise and adoration onto this entity, claiming this God is actually good, just, fair, benevolent, compassionate, and the wellspring of love.

I think some atheists get angry at dealing with people who think nothing of turning morality on its head by claiming such a god is actually "good" when it quite clearly is not. It's really no different than getting angry at people who support Hitler or praise Al Qaeda for knocking down the WTC. The anger is shared between the perpetrator -- in this case, God -- and those that support the perpetrator.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
In a bathtub? Which was in a bathroom, no? (just a hunch!) Absent a cellar, bathrooms during tornadoes are specifically recommended by numerous authorities as they tend to be small rooms (which are stronger than larger rooms) and often in the middle of homes and thus with no windows (stronger still, and won't easily let in lethal flying debris). It is thought that the plumbing in the walls of bathrooms also provides some additional structural integrity to the rooms. Finally, bathtub shells are also specifically recommended as places to go if you have to take refuge in a bathroom - if there is a tub, of course.

And?

So?

Some cars are in fender-benders, and then later totaled. Do you think it was the 'hand of God' that prevented all the occupants from being killed and their Pathfinder completely totaled when a Civic hit it from behind at 6 mph in the supermarket parking lot, but that God was busy elsewhere when it was destroyed with four fatalities when it was t-boned by a truck doing 60 mph a few years later? Or could it maybe have something to do with the fact that the latter incident involved subjecting the Pathfinder to exponentially more kinetic energy at the collision?

Just lucky, I guess. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that, finding themselves with no better option, they followed guidelines for using the means at their disposal to mitigate risk as best they could and took refuge in the tub...

LOL, Nice to see you have a source in order to prove my family liars when they tell me they were all in the bathroom, in the tub, LOL

WHAT?

HAHAHAHA

I am just telling a story that happened in my family, I haven't said anything of God, nor do I believe God was in the mix at all.

But you have me hooked now, is there anything else, or any more sources you could provide to show me of my family LOL.

Freak, aw, just kidding man, chill out.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

And?

So?

Living in an area that last had a tornado in 1918 I did not know this about bathrooms. I do know that the bathrooms in the Denver airport are places to go in case of a one due to all the public announcements you hear while waiting to make your flight connection.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Living in an area that last had a tornado in 1918 I did not know this about bathrooms. I do know that the bathrooms in the Denver airport are places to go in case of a one due to all the public announcements you hear while waiting to make your flight connection.

I think it so strange how these sicknesses come out of tornados because they rip the land to make sickness under the land air born, it really surprised me to learn that people who die from tornados are not just killed in the destruction but after the tornado is gone, they get sick and die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality