Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times

Advertisements

An interesting story of a guy who considered divorcing his wife because she became Christian.

When his wife unexpectedly converted to Christianity, former atheist Lee Strobel said her decision left the couple teetering on divorce. A demonstration of Christ's love, however, would tip the scales.

In a recent interview with The Christian Post, Strobel says that he began referring to himself as an atheist during his teenager years, and after he had married his wife, Leslie, he loathed her subsequent conversion to Christianity.

Strobel says he was surprised, however, by the changes he saw in his wife, writing in his book, "I was pleasantly surprised — even fascinated — by the fundamental changes in her character, her integrity, and her personal confidence."

Ex Atheist Lee Strobel: My Wife's Conversion to Christianity Nearly Led to Divorce (Interview)

Even so he eventually became Christian as well. He has since written a book called "Case for Christ".

I wonder if there are atheists here that will divorce their spouse if she/he became Christian.

Last edited by other99; 10-14-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 11:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I wonder if there are atheists here that will divorce their spouse if she/he became Christian.
I'm not married, but in a relationship. If my significant other became the type of Christian that doesn't really have much to do with Christ besides on Sunday mornings than we probably wouldn't have any issues. I'd even go to Church with her.

The time when we'd have a problem is when she feels the inevitable moral obligation to save me as well.
I do not mind if you're a Christian, but do not impose it on me.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I'm not married, but in a relationship. If my significant other became the type of Christian that doesn't really have much to do with Christ besides on Sunday mornings than we probably wouldn't have any issues. I'd even go to Church with her.

The time when we'd have a problem is when she feels the inevitable moral obligation to save me as well.
I do not mind if you're a Christian, but do not impose it on me.
Being a Christian means much more than attending church on the Sunday morning. Its those that act Christian on the sunday morning but the rest of the week are not like that other times of the week and not living a life of holiness are not really Christian but a "Sunday Christian".

When people become Christian they have a transformation, it more than a religion its a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. They have been born again. Just because someone is at church does not mean they are christian.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,216 times
Quote:
Being a Christian means much more than attending church on the Sunday morning. Its those that act Christian on the sunday morning but the rest of the week are not like that other times of the week and not living a life of holiness are not really Christian but a "Sunday Christian".

When people become Christian they have a transformation, it more than a religion its a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. They have been born again. Just because someone is at church does not mean they are christian.
I don't disagree with you, but I do acknowledge that somewhat of a substantial number of people (at least where I live) would call themselves Christian and do nothing more than go to church once a while.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I don't disagree with you, but I do acknowledge that somewhat of a substantial number of people (at least where I live) would call themselves Christian and do nothing more than go to church once a while.
I know people like that too even in the church I been to and even attended bible studies group, and appear quite worldly and are not evangelical Christians. Their behaviour and attitudes are not really different from unbelievers and goals rarely take God into account. Even I was like that years ago.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know people like that too even in the church I been to and even attended bible studies group, and appear quite worldly and are not evangelical Christians. Their behaviour and attitudes are not really different from unbelievers ...
Based on your clarifications, you are really asking what a person might do if their spouse had a significant personality change and became an evangelical Christian. . Based on that clarification, it would be almost impossoble to stay married and it might lead to divorce.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
An interesting story of a guy who considered divorcing his wife because she became Christian.

When his wife unexpectedly converted to Christianity, former atheist Lee Strobel said her decision left the couple teetering on divorce. A demonstration of Christ's love, however, would tip the scales.

In a recent interview with The Christian Post, Strobel says that he began referring to himself as an atheist during his teenager years, and after he had married his wife, Leslie, he loathed her subsequent conversion to Christianity.

Strobel says he was surprised, however, by the changes he saw in his wife, writing in his book, "I was pleasantly surprised — even fascinated — by the fundamental changes in her character, her integrity, and her personal confidence."

Ex Atheist Lee Strobel: My Wife's Conversion to Christianity Nearly Led to Divorce (Interview)

Even so he eventually became Christian as well. He has since written a book called "Case for Christ".

they had only one event?

they have a good marriage.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
I would divorce a man for raising his hand.
I would divorce a man who thought more of his addictions than the family.
I would divorce a man who suddenly decided I was not his equal, and adopts some sort of biblical submission belief.
I would divorce a man who did not leave room for books other than the Bible aka The Book of Excuses.

If this man became Christian? Meh. His spiritual beliefs are his own and personal and I would respect them.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Well, he was already Christian when I married him, so I can't rightly complain now. However, were he to convert to a very conservative church, I'm not sure how we'd fare at that point, because it would no longer just effect him and his personal beliefs. But you what? If I were to become a Christian again and get into a very conservative church, he wouldn't be too happy with the situation either.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
The point of the thread is of course to suggest that it is a bad idea to become an atheist as they will then think of divorcing a religious spouse. Even if I buy this particular used car from Lee Strobel, and I can tell you that I am familiar with the 'I used to be an atheist - like you...until..." package (incorporating disproofs of atheism by ex -atheists who neverthleless seem to understand nothing about it), it only means that he was an arrogant bastard who would not tolerate a spouse with a different view even before he became religious.

It is just as likely tht someone who converts to a religion might consider divorcing a spouse who had a different religion or none, and indeed the more stringent the religion, the more it would be likely.

The more tolerant or ..liberal... the religious view, the less of a problem it would be, and the atheist wouldn't have a problem at all, unless the spouse became a pest about it.For example claiming that their religion required that the kids be inducted into their religion. For myself I'd be willing to with that on an undertaking that I'd be free to say what I thought if hey asked me. But then as we know... it's a woman's privilege (damn another word I can't spell) to change her mind...even about any agreements she might have made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality