Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

Advertisements

Tell us about your preacher or whatever title that you give that person. What type of theogical or seminary schooling or degree did your preacher attain or how long has one been in the ministry? Where in the Bible does your preacher mostly take his sermons or lessons from or are the lessons and sermons spread out pretty evenly ? What are your preachers favorite books of the Bible?

Last edited by noland123; 01-23-2008 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
Default My preacher -- My Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Tell us about your preacher or whatever title that you give that person. What type of theogical or seminary schooling or degree did your preacher attain or how long has one been in the ministry? Where in the Bible does your preacher mostly take his sermons or lessons from or are the lessons and sermons spread out pretty evenly ? What are your preachers favorite books of the Bible?
Well my preacher is a little 5' 5" white headed man that I dearly love.
He went to Fruitland seminary school in Hendersonville N.C.
He has been in the ministry for 40 years, His first church for 30 years, retired for about a month I think, took another church just to help out until they got a preacher and they voted him in 100% and is still there.
His sermons are spread out pretty evenly to my understanding it is what the Lord leads him to preach on because he has studied all week and on Sunday morning change it in the pulpit.
His favorite book in the Bible is Job or at least I think it is because he has made me read it so many times. He used it many many times to teach me a lot of valuable lessons about life.
His favorite saying is and he wrote this in my bible.
This book will keep you from sin and sin will keep you from this book.
My Preacher ---- My Daddy

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
I'm Catholic and we have 3 priets. One priest from Africa who preaches in Spanish, a priest from Spain who talks about politics and the bible which makes it interesting and a Salvadorian priest who speaks loudly so I never fall asleep.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
His favorite saying is and he wrote this in my bible.
This book will keep you from sin and sin will keep you from this book.
Just in case you don't know the above quote originated from Dwight L. Moody.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
My preacher is young 3rd generation preacher, he is funny witty, and loves the Lord with all his heart, he has the cleanist soul I know, he is a man of prayer, when he says he is praying for you, you know he has been up all night praying.
He teaches from the bible goes thru the books, and believes every word of it.
Highly encouraging and very compassionate. Loves the kids and teens You can see him playing with the kids, and taking Grandma hugs to her seat.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I am Episcopalian. We have three priests at our church. The Rector received his doctor of divinity at UVA while the other two went to Sewanee.

The Episcopal Church adheres strictly to the liturgical calendar when it comes to scripture readings, and the sermons are derived from the reading. This avoids situations where the priest or preacher just blathers on about whatever popped into his or her head at the moment.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
My pastor is John A. Cherry II. Here is a little information about him.

http://www.fthcm.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=17772

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Since this is in the "Religion" section and not "Christianity" I am reading that it is an open inquiry for all faiths, including those that do not even use the Bible!

I have had many church homes over the years. One of my favorite ministers was at a Unitarian-Universalist church in the Pacific Northwest. He was a professional musician prior to entering the ministry, and oftentimes would break into song during a sermon, which was wonderful, he would then rush over to the piano and do "Pulpit from the Piano" which was incredibly popular and rousing. A very dear man, enthusiastic, filled with passion for life.

He drew from many sources for sermons which I really liked, and dealt with contmporary manners in a spiritual way so I really got a lot out of his services. He also modeled love and family. He was married to a man and oftentimes his husband was also in attendance. Also the minister's first wife attended the church, along with their lovely teenage daughter. Everyone got along so well and it was a living inspiration to see so much love and family present.

He did not preach on "gay" themes nor was it a gay congregation. The majority of the congregation was not gay, but very open and accepting of all faiths and all paths, as Unitarians tend to be.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
My preacher is Jesus Christ. Here is all the information about Him The Bible.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM

54 posts, read 202,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
My pastor is John A. Cherry II. Here is a little information about him.

Our Pastor (From the Heart Church Ministries)

Did you mention that he asked the county to build a gymnasium and instead he built a gymnasium/15k seat sanctuary that caused the county person who gave him the permit to lose her job? The neighborhood hates him forall those years of traffice in and out of a RESIDENTIAL neighborhood tht hardly has room for thousands of ppl to drive in every week.

Did you mention that the church's sanctuaries for reposessed after a 10 yr legal battle where he refused to give 30mil in property back to the AME Zion denomination EVEN THOUGH HE PAID for it because tht is what the bi-laws entail?

Did you mention that he took the minister of music Kathy Myers-Horry off of paid staff in charge of 4 choirs because she went back to college?

Make sure you mention tht next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality