Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 PM

34 posts, read 25,815 times

Advertisements

Fantastic discussion so far. Keep it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A distinction without sufficient difference to warrant mentioning. I'll accept your amendment as friendly and just move on.
Of course it's friendly.

I don't think parenting (or at least healthy parenting) has subjugation as its objective. I can testify from first hand observation of one parenting situation I'm aware of, that parenting that objectifies children like that is disturbingly unhealthy and dysfunctional and sends terrible messages of worthlessness and unworthiness through chronic disacknowledgement of the child's feelings and experiences and needs -- and, in the extreme, setting up situations where the child can never win approval. That is why I would not use the pejorative "master/slave" as if it's somehow inherent to parenting or inherent in the necessity that parents of young children often resort to "because I said so". The latter really is just another way of saying "because I'm responsible and knowledgable about this and you aren't" which is actually true in that context.

But I agree, it's pointless to argue technicalities here. The salient point is that religion does indoctrinate children and aspects of that are, by turns, innocuous, suboptimal and downright harmful. But it is the content and the message that is the problem. I can't claim that atheist parents don't in any way indoctrinate their children, only that they have better motives and reasons for WHAT they indoctrinate them WITH.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,738,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think parenting (or at least healthy parenting) has subjugation as its objective.
If you ask many parents who feel strongly about instilling in their children their own personal religious values you'll hear them express an aversion to their children forming their own, perhaps different, beliefs and values. They'll talk about how children need to be led to the right path in a manner that precludes the child's personal revelation that may conflict with their own. They want to make their children "love God so much" that their faith would never waver (i.e., when confronted with truths and realities that would tend to prompt otherwise reasonable people to question, to form their own thoughts, etc.) Remember: I said "many" not necessarily "most" and surely not "all". But "many".

I see this most clearly from the receiving end of the eventual reaction to that indoctrination. It is chilling sometimes to hear people talk about how boxed in they were.

And it isn't always parents - remember the parents were indoctrinated as well. Society itself has institutionalized this subjugation aspect going back hundreds upon hundreds of years. It is actually only in the last three hundred years that the tide has turned away from such subjugation. It will take perhaps another hundred years before the impact dissipates entirely. That is, unless a reactionary revolution regresses society's progress in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But it is the content and the message that is the problem. I can't claim that atheist parents don't in any way indoctrinate their children, only that they have better motives and reasons for WHAT they indoctrinate them WITH.
We believe the message needs to be enabling rather than subjugating: "I decided to believe this. These people decided to believe that. Those other people decided to believe this other thing. Now you get to learn about all of them and learn about the nature of belief in general, so you can make the best decision for yourself, now and all through your life."

Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,288,605 times
I think even in casually religious families, it is just a 'taken for granted' idea in the same way as it's taken for granted idea that you eat breakfast in the morning, go to bed at night, to school Monday through Friday and to church on Sunday and that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, that several churches in every town is standard and that's where weddings and funerals are and that 'everybody' lives that way.
Even for non-regular church goers, it's still the norm for children to be surrounded by god and Jesus "stuff".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality